Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNAFU; high performance 318is build that lives up to the name, Turbo M42 ➞ Turbo M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:up: Subbing for another turbo m42...
    "A good memory for quotes combined with a poor memory for attribution can lead to a false sense of originality."
    -----------------------------------------
    91 318is Turbo Sold
    87 325 Daily driver Sold
    06 4.8is X5
    06 Mtec X3
    05 4.4i X5 Sold
    92 325ic Sold & Re-purchased
    90 325i Sold
    97 328is Sold
    01 323ci Sold
    92 325i Sold
    83 528e Totaled
    98 328i Sold
    93 325i Sold

Comment

I got it back on the road yesterday. Turns out I had loose turbo center housing, and the bearings were moving in it, so it was leaking.

I'm usually not one for fake euro plates, but this one fits my project.

Most people say their photos "don't do the car justice" but my car looks a lot better in 2D. Cosmetics are way at the bottom of the list of things to improve.

More videos and increased boost coming soon.

IG @turbovarg
      '91 318is, M20 turbo
      [CoTM: 4-18]
      '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
      - updated 1-26

Comment

Nice build

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
          Most people say their photos "don't do the car justice" but my car looks a lot better in 2D. Cosmetics are way at the bottom of the list of things to improve.
          I feels. My car also looks much better in pictures. BUT PRETTY DONT MAKE HORSEPOWER!!

Comment

Either my new passenger side rear wheel bearing just took a crap on me (doesn't make any noise and turns smoothly) or that's CV grease collecting in a really odd spot. I was in a hurry when I took this picture and didn't inspect the boot fully for tears. Not happy to see it, CV joint boot or wheel bearing replacement, either job is a pain in the ass.

Driver's side wheel bearing needs replacing too.

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
            I feels. My car also looks much better in pictures. BUT PRETTY DONT MAKE HORSEPOWER!!
            My car is neither pretty nor powerful. Right now I'm tuned to 9psi, with a conservative timing map. It's enough to pull on a BRZ, which you could do in a Camry

I can't wait to get to the point where I can put my det cans on and slowly dial in more advance. I need to solve this problem and replace my left wheel bearing and diff first, then turn the boost up more (15psi) and finish the fuel map.
            Last edited by varg; 02-22-2015, 08:38 PM.

IG @turbovarg
            '91 318is, M20 turbo
            - updated 1-26

Comment

I'm usually not one for fake euro plates, but this one fits my project.
              I like this picture, and the turbo badge is awesome! I'm pretty sure I have that plastic piece for your bumper from a broken one I have laying around. That'll make a world of difference in my opinion.

Please... your car looks 1000000x better than my turd. I mean at least yours is all one color and your valance isn't all messed up.

Plus your car is actually working and making boost while I'm just sitting here in NY making brake lines for my car is the artic tundra of 0 degrees.... But seriously keep up the good work! you'll get everything sorted out soon enough.
              -Dee
              5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
              IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Thats a nice project you've got there !

may i ask you what did you do on your board for the pwmiacv ? i am one step away to be done with mine, guess which one is it ?

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
                  I like this picture, and the turbo badge is awesome! I'm pretty sure I have that plastic piece for your bumper from a broken one I have laying around. That'll make a world of difference in my opinion.

Please... your car looks 1000000x better than my turd. I mean at least yours is all one color and your valance isn't all messed up.

Plus your car is actually working and making boost while I'm just sitting here in NY making brake lines for my car is the artic tundra of 0 degrees.... But seriously keep up the good work! you'll get everything sorted out soon enough.
                  Thanks. I think my little piece is laying around somewhere. I have new bumper trim strips that aren't cracked up but there's no point in installing them until I get some un-cracked bumpers. I'm still working on the megasquirt guide, I've been too busy with school, work and my car going wrong.

Originally posted by fred.g View Post
                  Thats a nice project you've got there !

may i ask you what did you do on your board for the pwmiacv ? i am one step away to be done with mine, guess which one is it ?
                  Thanks. I used the output of the Zeal daughterboard (Bottom of R19 -> Zeal -> Banded side of D8 ), it worked fine until my ICV packed up.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 1-26

Comment

I jacked my car up and ran it with the wheels off the ground the other day and heard my driver's side wheel bearing making some noise. I already did one without the proper presses and it was kind of a pain in the ass so I had the guys at WOT-Tech in Pompano do this bearing for me. It's the first time I've ever had a shop do any work on a vehicle I own.

While the car was on the lift I was able to see that my subframe and trailing arm bushings are pretty bad, so next week, my spring break, I will be replacing them. I thought something didn't feel right in the rear when I drove it hard, now I know what it was.

IG @turbovarg
                    '91 318is, M20 turbo
                    - updated 1-26

Comment

Hey man, cool build! Cool to see that the fix for the turbo was easy(loose chra). I like the custom manifold too:p

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Man I feel your pain and admire your tenacity...

I want to avoid all of those problems so I am having my engine fully rebuilt, no turbo. All I read on the forums is the trouble they cause!! Still, I understand their appeal.

Secondly, I've completely stripped my car and am rebuilding it to new. Everything.

It will cost around 20G but I will have a brand new 1991 318iS.

Cheaper than a Honda Civic.

About one year to go before she is done...

Comment

I'm jealous of everyone who moves fast to turbo there cars. Keep up the cool build

Comment

Since I found out this past Wednesday that this week is my spring break (I have been so busy I lost track of unimportant things like breaks ), I get to use it working on my suspension and drivetrain. I'm going to be using Condor Speed Shop UHMW subframe and diff bushings and RTABs. They should sharpen things up in the rear. As is, my car is really twitchy with the tail out since the subframe bushings are pretty much rotted through, and on a wet road if I get into boost the rear end breaks to the right without fail.

The source of my axle leak, pictured below, is an odd one, and a frustrating one. The outer CV joint retaining cap is leaking at the seam where it is crimped to the axle stub. This is a problem, because apparently it's impossible to get a boot/rebuild kit that contains this cap. Someone please correct me and provide a link if I'm wrong. Really, I'd love to be wrong in this case. I'll have to take the axle out and clean it up to see exactly what's causing this joint to leak, CV axles are never fun to mess with. I will be replacing the boots and grease, and if it doesn't look like re-crimping will fix it, cleaning up and sealing the joint with epoxy (kludge alert!). I want to buy a good, leak free used axle to have as a spare though.

How about a picture where nothing is wrong for once? Oh, wait, you can see the cracked bumper and trashed paint from this angle.

♪♩ Something's always wrong ♪♩

Originally posted by AbsorbantNut View Post
                            Hey man, cool build! Cool to see that the fix for the turbo was easy(loose chra). I like the custom manifold too:p
                            The loose cartridge housing really threw me for a loop, I've never seen it before, and the bearing bosses did not appear to have been damaged in any way, almost as if the housing was bored for oversized bearings. As for the manifold... It's a kludge, at least it makes the car sound different with the unequal length runners.

Originally posted by Split_S View Post
                            Man I feel your pain and admire your tenacity...

I want to avoid all of those problems so I am having my engine fully rebuilt, no turbo. All I read on the forums is the trouble they cause!! Still, I understand their appeal.

Secondly, I've completely stripped my car and am rebuilding it to new. Everything.

It will cost around 20G but I will have a brand new 1991 318iS.

Cheaper than a Honda Civic.

About one year to go before she is done...
                            Nice! I would do that to my car if I could afford to. Boost it! Turbos don't cause any problems if you can afford to not take shortcuts and do everything properly. A brand new turbo, rebuilt engine and the budget to have the suspension and drivetrain completely refreshed from the start would've eliminated a lot of the problems I had. It's funny, work I'm paid to do always turns out better than my own cars because I'm not the one funding it and don't take shortcuts

Originally posted by efficient View Post
                            I'm jealous of everyone who moves fast to turbo there cars. Keep up the cool build
                            Thanks!

IG @turbovarg
                            '91 318is, M20 turbo
                            - updated 1-26

Comment

Ive got a thermostat housing. If you can wait till my spring break (March 13th) Ill hook you up.

Comment

Originally posted by MF DOOM View Post
                                Ive got a thermostat housing. If you can wait till my spring break (March 13th) Ill hook you up.
                                Thanks. I'm trying to source one locally but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 1-26

Comment

Working...
                                X