The Coming Automation Onslaught

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by flyboyx View Post
    they say the next generation of aircraft will be pilotless or have a single pilot that babysits the computers in the event something goes wrong. i hope not to see this in my lifetime. since my son is studying to be a pilot also, i hope not to see it in his either. since he has 42 years before his hits retirement age, i would say it will be a problem for him.
    It's definitely heading that way--pilots have high salaries for their high level of responsibility, but it's a job where errors have enormous financial and life-ending consequences.

Comment

Originally posted by Exodus_2pt0 View Post
      Honestly, I imagine it will create a short period of time where people lose jobs.

On the other hand, it is a situation that will balance out. If you put enough people out of work, how will you sell your product that is now produced by computers?
      That's a good way to look at it, no jobs=no money to spend on products.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
        It's definitely heading that way--pilots have high salaries for their high level of responsibility, but it's a job where errors have enormous financial and life-ending consequences.
        Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that pilots fly for passion because the money is absolute shit when considering the responsibility.
        No E30 Club
        Originally posted by MrBurgundy
        Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

^
          Big plane pilots on the major carries do very well, that said all the guys flying on the regional carries struggle to make a living at it. If you can get on with a major your going to do ok to really good once you have enough time in, its just getting to that point seems to be the trick. This is as I understand it from a very good friend thats been trying for a long time to get his foot in the door, and has his Commercial Multi engine licenses but not enough seat time. I am sure Flyboy will chime in and add/correct anything
          Originally posted by Fusion
          If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
          The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
          William Pitt-

Comment

I don't know, "automation" has been happening for a few centuries now without the sky falling...

The printing press put scribes out of business, switching circuits made switchboard operators redundant, injection molding machines/craftsmen, fabric looms, etc...

I thought airline pilots didn't "do" much now except for landing, takeoff, and problems but when they are needed, the human pilots are irreplaceable.

The self-driving trucks and car seem plausible but I want to see a self-driving tractor trailer manage to park in some 19th loading dock in the heart of Brooklyn, where you have to block traffic temporarily and stuff.

Could an AI robot raise a human child if you programmed it to show love, give supportive attention, provide food, maintain a daily schedule, all the "good" parent attributes. or is there an intangible aspect to human interaction and decision-making that the unpredictability and messiness of "real" life requires?

Comment

Originally posted by mrsleeve View Post
              ^
              Big plane pilots on the major carries do very well, that said all the guys flying on the regional carries struggle to make a living at it. If you can get on with a major your going to do ok to really good once you have enough time in, its just getting to that point seems to be the trick. This is as I understand it from a very good friend thats been trying for a long time to get his foot in the door, and has his Commercial Multi engine licenses but not enough seat time. I am sure Flyboy will chime in and add/correct anything
              This is pretty much true. For the most part, majors aren't interested in hiring pilots that haven't paid their dues. Along with that little regional paycheck comes a lot of responsibility and experience. I have heard of a couple guys getting hired at majors whose only experience was flying around their own personal airplanes. With very few exceptions, those experiments tuned out to be disasters. Not from an accident point of view, but more training issues, and not being able to relate properly to other crew members.

There was an accident a few years back in buffalo where a dash 8 iced up, stalled and crashed on approach. This changed (increased) the requirements to become a pilot for a scheduled airline. There is a huge pilot shortage right now for the regional level. If a guy has his airline transport rating, (1500hrs) he can get hired at a commuter by simply having the ability to fog a mirror.

The majors aren't desperate at this time. There are still thousands of regional and military backgrounds available to fill the hiring classes.

If your friend really wants to start doing this, he has to get off his duff and go find a job in order to build 1500. Jobs are certainly out there. Flight instruction, pipeline patrol, Alaska jobs..... unfortunately, most of these types pay less than 20k a year. Have him take a look at Great Lakes airlines. They hire first officers with around 500 hrs. They use different non air carrier rules to get around the 1500hr minimum.

There are regionals now that start out in the mid to high 40's.

My first job was flying as a first officer in crapped out old 19 seat turboprops in the South Pacific. It paid 1200 bucks a month. I wouldn't trade it for anything. Except maybe blowjobs.....giggity
              sigpic
              Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
              92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
              88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
              88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
              87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
              12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I wouldn't trade it for anything. Except maybe blowjobs.....giggity
                Had some generous passengers, eh?
                No E30 Club
                Originally posted by MrBurgundy
                Anyways, mustangs are gay and mini vans are faster than your car, you just have to deal with that.

Comment

^

Regionals are now hurting because of the baby boomers are all retiring in the majors. (Mandatory age of a 121 pilot is 65) This is taking a lot of pilots from the regionals upwards to majors. Also China and the Middle East are offering huge paying jobs with very little hours also taking a lot of pilots from the pool.

PSA with their sign on bonus is around 68k for the first year and others are also following. Spirit Airlines just lowered their minimums for total hours. Jet Blue just started a school of their own to be able to pull graduates directly from their program. They are also in the works of building another 300 room hotel in Orlando to accommodate the hiring boom that they are experiencing. They also have 4 new simulators coming in and one is to be a wide body Airbus. Jet Blue is looking to start flights to Europe in the near future. The 1500 hour rule is not always a fixed number either. Depending if you have a college degree or not. You can get in around the 1000 hour mark if you have a 4 year and 1250 hour if you have an AA degree.

I sold my bartending school January 1st of last year and jumped back in the aviation game after finally being able to pass my medical. I just got hired on flying Lear Jets for an Air Ambulance service here in SoFLA. Pay is just under $50k and moves up quite a bit after the first year. Ill stay doing 135 work till I have the hours to jump 121 with a major.

There are also sights that you can find great paying gigs flying Corporate Jet. Making anywhere from 500 to 1000 a day for several days in a row. I just got my SIC in a Falcon 900ex doing this.

It is quite the investment to get to a job that pays well, but it is also who you know in the industry. So always make friends, you never know when you get a call to help one of them out.
                  Last edited by Vedubin01; 01-08-2017, 06:01 AM.
                  Build your own dreams, or someone else will hire you to build theirs!

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Vedubin01 View Post
                    Depending if you have a college degree or not. You can get in around the 1000 hour mark if you have a 4 year and 1250 hour if you have an AA degree.

I sold my bartending school January 1st of last year and jumped back in the aviation game after finally being able to pass my medical. I just got hired on flying Lear Jets for an Air Ambulance service here in SoFLA. Pay is just under $50k and moves up quite a bit after the first year. Ill stay doing 135 work till I have the hours to jump 121 with a major.

It is quite the investment to get to a job that pays well, but it is also who you know in the industry. So always make friends, you never know when you get a call to help one of them out.
                    As to the quote above in bold, this is a partial truth. In order to qualify, just any associateor batchelors degree will not work. You must have graduated from a special approved program that includes classroom work in approved aviation subjects and flying lessons from an approved curriculum. I didn't mention it because it appears sleeve's friend already has his ratings an thus would not qualify.

Congratulations on getting back into the industry. That has to have been a phonominal sacrifice. I wish you luck in your job. Sounds like it pays pretty darn well to start. The disadvantages generally of corporate av is that hours generally come slowly. Most of these companies only average 300~400hrs/yr as opposed to 800+ at a regional.

I am on the hiring committee at my airline. While we will hire corporate and charter pilots, we(all majors actually)STRONGLY prefer airline or military experience for lots of reasons. I am certainly not saying you won't get the job of your dreams from where you are, but it will indeed take you longer to build hours and it will also take longer to fit in above the cutoff required to get an interview(if you plan to stay where you are until the next level.)
                    sigpic
                    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

As to the quote above in bold, this is a partial truth. In order to qualify, just any associateor batchelors degree will not work. You must have graduated from a special approved program that includes classroom work in approved aviation subjects and flying lessons from an approved curriculum. I didn't mention it because it appears sleeve's friend already has his ratings an thus would not qualify.

Congratulations on getting back into the industry. That has to have been a phonominal sacrifice. I wish you luck in your job. Sounds like it pays pretty darn well to start. The disadvantages generally of corporate av is that hours generally come slowly. Most of these companies only average 300~400hrs/yr as opposed to 800+ at a regional.

I am on the hiring committee at my airline. While we will hire corporate and charter pilots, we(all majors actually)STRONGLY prefer airline or military experience for lots of reasons. I am certainly not saying you won't get the job of your dreams from where you are, but it will indeed take you longer to build hours and it will also take longer to fit in above the cutoff required to get an interview(if you plan to stay where you are until the next level.)

You are correct on the part you highlighted, but I just assumed anyone looking at Aviation at that point would know that already. It has been quite the ride as I had to do a lot of recurrences as I started in aviation in 2000. It has been a fun ride though and I still instruct locally to build time on my off times. Sites like Climb to 350 and others can keep you busy as you want to be. Knowing people in this industry also makes a big difference in regards to hiring. A few of my friends that I started with 17 years ago also sit on those hiring committees and are check airmen for some major airlines. These friends are the ones that talked me back into the industry and have been a great help getting back into this game. Not to mention having family members that are 747 captains at United. I've never busted a check ride in my career which is also a big plus.

You can still make a great living flying 135 and never making it to the Majors. The Falcon gig I got was though a contact I made when I was doing my CFI/CFII. I believe my friend has one of the best flying jobs in the world. He flies Part 91 for a retired Billionaire that is on his quest to see everything on his bucket list before he dies. Trips to Africa, currently Tahiti, and Europe in the fall. All while making $200k plus a year. I'm doing my best to find a solid slot on that crew, but his wife is also the co pilot.

If you don't mind me asking, what major airline do you work for?

Few pics of the Falcon since pictures are always cool.

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Flyboy, my buddy has his degree (4 years) in aviation science or how ever its worded from Western MI. He just run outta money to keep flying, and could not afford to take an instructors job, as he would have to give up his current main gig as a General Contractor to pay his loans back.

I am going to pass on the info you guys have posted in here and see where it takes him, though it will be a while till he can do anything with it. Hes currently building a Million dollar home for another friend of ours as the G/C.
                        If a car is the epitome of freedom, than an electric car is house arrest with your wife titty fucking your next door neighbor.
                        The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money. -Alexis de Tocqueville

The Desire to Save Humanity is Always a False Front for the Urge to Rule it- H. L. Mencken

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants.
                        William Pitt-

Comment

Sleeve,

Does your friend have a CFI or CFII? I have friends in the LA area getting paid $40 per hour and building 100 hours of flight time a month. If he is willing to move for about 6 months he could build some fast time if he is willing to work hard. I could put him in touch with a friend that has more work than his school can handle.

Have another friend flying pipeline in Houston Texas. Salary pay and getting 5 to 8 hours a day. Paying $45k a year.

Comment

Flyboy, my buddy has his degree (4 years) in aviation science or how ever its worded from Western MI. He just run outta money to keep flying, and could not afford to take an instructors job, as he would have to give up his current main gig as a General Contractor to pay his loans back.

I am going to pass on the info you guys have posted in here and see where it takes him, though it will be a while till he can do anything with it. Hes currently building a Million dollar home for another friend of ours as the G/C.
                            I guess we have totally derailed the heck out of this thread. Anyway, i also have a degree from western mich. If you want, you can pm me and ill give you my info to pass along to your buddy. Id be happy to help.

Vdubbin, i dont want to post who i work for here, but you are more than welcome to send a pm too. You can even send your phone number and ill shoot you a call.
                            sigpic
                            Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

Comment

I will likely talk to him in the next week or so, hes got his commitment to finish our other friends house and thats going to take him well into august or early sept, this year.

William Pitt-

Comment

Interesting article Hawking wrote about the current state of the world; touching on automation, destruction of the environment, and politics.
                                AWD > RWD

Comment

Working...
                                X