Seat Bolt Question Newer Sport Seat in Older E30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seat Bolt Question Newer Sport Seat in Older E30

Okay so I am trying to find a bolt that holds down the rear of the seat rail of my newer vintage E30 sports seats in my older vintage 1985 325e. I tried to both an M10x1.25 40 and M10x1.5 40 sized metric bolt but neither work.

Bolts that fit standard older sports seats use an M10x25-Z3 bolt, which I have (essentially a 25MM M10 bolt with a very unique thread pitch). Problem is they are too short for the later style seat rails, which are thicker and won't allow the bolt to thread into the unibody.

Can I just use an M10x32 bolt that RealOEM displays for use in later E30s? I assume these have the unique thread pitch that I am looking for.

Right now I have been able to secure three of the mounting nuts on the studs for the the drivers seat, but I can't get the rear nut secured on the passengers side. I am not comfortable driving around like that...figure if I can get the rear bolts installed that should pull the rear of the passengers seat down so I can also attach the nut on the stud in addition to the bolt.

minor thread revival, but I'm going through the same problem right now, where did you source the new studs from? do you have the part numbers? any help would be very appreciated
    84 325e, Saphirblau Metallic/Houndstooth Sport, OBD-2 M52B28/ zf320

Comment

Also bump. I have the same problem.
      1985 325e Sedan, 1986 325e Sedan, 2006 BMW X5, 2012 M3 Sedan, 2013 135is, 2017 M3 Sedan ZCP Competition

Comment

Ive never encountered any thread issues with seat mounting bolts or nuts. However the rails on early cars have a different depth so bolt lengths vary. My guess is that the threads need some love.
        Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
        Alice the Time Capsule
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
        87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
          Ive never encountered any thread issues with seat mounting bolts or nuts. However the rails on early cars have a different depth so bolt lengths vary.
          Be sure to get the right length bolts because if too long they will rub the fuel lines under the car.

Comment

Originally posted by uturn View Post
            Be sure to get the right length bolts because if too long they will rub the fuel lines under the car.
            Can you access the bolts from under the car? I'm somewhat new to E30's.
            1985 325e Sedan, 1986 325e Sedan, 2006 BMW X5, 2012 M3 Sedan, 2013 135is, 2017 M3 Sedan ZCP Competition

Comment

Originally posted by Downeaster1 View Post
              Can you access the bolts from under the car? I'm somewhat new to E30's.
              Yes, easiest way to find them is to take the bolts out, light the cabin, or put something longer through the holes and look under the car. However, just looking under the car is cool too.

Comment

Underside bolts

Are the bolts that come up from the bottom of the chassis that are for the seat frames welded into the car? I'm not sure how I should go about in replacing them for longer ones. I have comfort seats out of an 88 325 that have a thicker frame. Any help would be awesome.

Comment

They are studs welded to the body. You would need to weld new ones on if you wanted to replaced them.

Comment

Working...
                  X