agent's 24v build thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by F34R View Post
    Robert and his brother turn some quick wrenches. Looks great! only thing is the muffler looks like it hangs low.
    Thanks! The E36 AA muffler is taller than it is wide, unlike most of the E30 cat back setups I've seen. If I had gone with a different rear section it would probably tuck a few mm higher, though BJ did a phenomenal job custom fabbing what he had to work with. The sound it produces at WOT more than makes up for any fitment imperfections.
    Originally posted by kronus
    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Ahhhh it is for an e36. Yeah they have more room to tuck it up. Is there room to cut the rear metal apron to push it up more? I did that to both mine and my brother's e30 to gain ground clearance from the subframe.

Other than that I love it, clean and proper. Refreshing from most "builds" lol. I really love the chrome kidneys with the shadow lining. Smashing job on that interior, so nasty before hand! Think of dying it black? I think that would flow very well with the shadow lining.
      ~ Puch Cafe. ~ Do business? feedback ~ Check out my leather company ~

Instagram: @BWeissLeather

Current cars:
      ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
      ~ '87 535
      ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
      ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Oh you have been busy! Cant wait to see it Chris.
        1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Damn you work fast! I'd love to swap my car this year and wish I had some locals to lend a hand. Great work, the car looks awesome!
          91 318is M50 swapped
          05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Is there room to cut the rear metal apron to push it up more? I did that to both mine and my brother's e30 to gain ground clearance from the subframe.
            Quite possibly, though the wide and angular shape of the lower part muffler itself makes more upward fitment a little more challenging. It looks like if I want the nice pretty tips to extend far enough out to show them off it may require re-shaping more than just the apron above the muffler.

Other than that I love it, clean and proper. Refreshing from most "builds" lol. I really love the chrome kidneys with the shadow lining. Smashing job on that interior, so nasty before hand! Think of dying it black? I think that would flow very well with the shadow lining.
            Thanks for the nice comments! Yes, the carpet will be coming out and getting dyed black later this summer when I do the stereo wiring and she gets her Lukebox.

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
              Oh you have been busy! Cant wait to see it Chris.
              We roll in a week! I can't wait either.

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
              Damn you work fast! I'd love to swap my car this year and wish I had some locals to lend a hand. Great work, the car looks awesome!
              Thanks Nick! You should recognize at least one of the parts on her. ;)

Comment

No problem man, but this is what I was talking about and I can see what you were talking about. The shape does not allow it to fit in the allowed space well.

I am sure it sounds amazing, but did you give it some thought on the finished fitment? I just think a different muffler that closes the gap and sits flush in the opening would really finish off it well. IMO the tip fitment is what matters for everyone to see.

What is everyone going to think when you give them your rear end after a head scratching pass? ;)

Not bashing at all, the work is well done and proof is the picture of it sitting together in the pictures above. I just think it does not do any justice to the work involved with the car and the end result of the fit and finish of all the little things.

Just my .2 cents, carry on :)
                Attached Files

Current cars:
                ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                ~ '87 535
                ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Excellent work Chris, glad to see it all coming together!

Comment

...this is what I was talking about and I can see what you were talking about. The shape does not allow it to fit in the allowed space well.

I am sure it sounds amazing, but did you give it some thought on the finished fitment?
                    Honestly, I didn't. I wanted to try something I hadn't seen anyone else do yet, and this lightly used AA was offered at what I was looking to spend. The research I'd done suggested that an E36 cat back could be used in an E30 but that was really all I had to go on.

...I just think a different muffler that closes the gap and sits flush in the opening would really finish off it well. IMO the tip fitment is what matters for everyone to see.

Not bashing at all, the work is well done and proof is the picture of it sitting together in the pictures above. I just think it does not do any justice to the work involved with the car and the end result of the fit and finish of all the little things.

Just my .2 cents, carry on :)
                    I definitely appreciate the comments as well as the constructive criticism. If we'd had another day or three to fine-tune we might have been able to squeeze it upward and inward a few more mm. The issue was that the way the pipes are bent on the cat back (for E36 fitment), it would have meant cutting a lot more off than just the flanges and fabbing up several more bends to clear the subframe and the half shafts. That was a luxury we didn't have since all the piping I brought was pre-bent, and had been purchased based on a mock-up RobertK did on one of his cars. The nice thing is that it's connected with V bands, so if/when I decide to make a change I can do so relatively easily.

I think this picture is more flattering of the fitment:

This one shows how it looks at ground level - and very few people will actually be seeing it live from that angle:

And here's one I just went outside and took:

Comment

Originally posted by doucy2 View Post
                      Excellent work Chris, glad to see it all coming together!
                      Thanks Alex, you should recognize several parts on her as well!

Comment

I noticed the straight shot under the subframe, I am not trying to rip on any of the work done. You had a time frame to upkeep as well, no? Will not bring it up anymore as I do not want to upset your enjoyment. You're happy and that is all that matters.

I LOVE the car, I love the clean nature and attention to detail. Congrats on the swap and the new toy :)

Current cars:
                        ~ '87 325 M30B35 swap
                        ~ '87 535
                        ~ 01 540 Msport 6spd
                        ~ '06 X5 4.8is

Comment

Dislike the look of that exhaust but I like the sound it makes, and besides sitting in the drivers seat you can't see it so it really doesn't matter.

Cool build. Need to finish mine some decade.
                          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

You had a time frame to upkeep as well, no?
                            Yep, three days that turned into six. I left for Ohio about 8 hours after I pulled her in the driveway, so that's literally ALL the time we had.

I LOVE the car, I love the clean nature and attention to detail. Congrats on the swap and the new toy :)
                            Thank you again. :D

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                            Cool build. Need to finish mine some decade.
                            Thanks!

Comment

The old girl looks fantastic. I had no clue how this would turn out, OEM+ or not a waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesing single waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles waffleswaffleswaffleswafflesing waffleswaffleswaffleswaffles was given... I'd say that she's a nice mixture of both. A+++ on the build and excellent work done by every hand involved. The exhaust in person is a sight to behold. And RobertK knows his shit.

Can't wait for the brodeo!

Btw. This censorship is rediculous/amazing.

Comment

Thanks Alex!

Comment

Working...
                                X