LS swap radiator options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LS swap radiator options

So I am about half way done with my swap and I am looking for some input on radiator options from people that have done it.

Here are the details on my swap. 87 e30 325i, LS2 fully rebuild with PRC heads and 220R cam, (I built the motor myself), t56, it is DBW.

The engine came out of a CTSV and I kept the CTSV accessories. The compressor bracket needed some work but everything else fit nicely.

I bought Garret's cd and it's great in some areas but terrible in others. In the radiator section it says the dimensions of the GM radiator he used but no part numbers. That it the point of buying the dam cd, not having to find the pn of the radiator.....

I have read some people have used the R32 Mishimoto radiator. Could you guys share the radiator you have used and the fabrication required to make them fit? Pictures and part numbers would be great. Also, he says in the cd that he went to the auto parts store and got some hoses. What about part numbers. Asking for help in a forum is one thing, but when you pay for it is a different thing.

I don't mind fabricating, but I don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to. Thank you for your help.

im going through my notebook where i have written down all my swap parts purchased or to be purchased, and I have notes stating a Spectra Radiator CU571 will work. ill try doing some googling and see if I can find out where I found that info.

EDIT: here it is http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=378900
    Last edited by lemansguy; 12-09-2016, 08:18 AM. Reason: Added link
    '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

If I could do it again I wouldn't use the mishimoto r32 radiator. It's small and you will have to tap and install a hose barb for the steam vent. In fact, I will be getting this radiator https://m.summitracing.com/parts/gri-1-58242-xls . If you want I'll sell you my r32 radiator and mounts for super cheap. I can PM pics. But I suggest the griffin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      -Nick

Comment

That is a dual pass radiator, proper inlet/outlet on passenger side with a provision for steam vent. Cap is on driver side which is convenient for filling and checking. Don't worry about mounting as long as you have a welder you can make mounts very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        -Nick

Comment

We're doing the annual maintenance on the E30 right now. We have finally found an inexpensive radiator that is a perfect fit. You may recall that our original radiator was a composite that we had custom made.

We have found that the Murray #433331 from O'Riley Auto parts is exactly the same as our original in shape, inlet & outlet, core size and header tank thickness. It also has a drain which will make coolant issues simple to deal with. One modification is necessary: cut off the little overflow nipple near the cap and plug it with an M6x10 screw. We tapped the hole in the nipple and used a little Permatex RTV sealant (for waterpumps, etc.). The radiator from O'Riley is only about $100.
          Attached Files
          E30-LS1 aka. 357is
          email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
          E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
          E30LS1@gmail.com
          e30ls1.com

Comment

Thank you for all the input. I am looking at the 3 primary options: Griffin Aluminum Circle Track Radiators 1-58242-XLS, R32 Mishimoto and O Rileys 433331.

Comment

I used this radiator
              The Mishimoto performance aluminum radiator for the Nissan Skyline is designed and engineered to maximize cooling efficiency by up to 30%, boost engine functions, and most importantly protect your car from overheating. Whether you drive your vehicle daily or take it for track runs. The Mishimoto aluminum Nissan Skyline radiator features a lightweight dual core, 100% brazed aluminum, and polished end tanks, enhancing the overall performance of your engine. Every Mishimoto aluminum radiator is a direct OEM fit, making installation effortless with no cutting or modification required, the ideal upgrade to the stock Nissan Skyline radiator. All Mishimoto radiators come with a high pressure 1.3 bar Mishimoto radiator cap and, as with every Mishimoto aluminum radiator, this radiator includes the Mishimoto Lifetime Warranty. A perfect match to the Mishimoto lightweight aluminum Nissan Skyline fan shroud kit for the R32.

With these hoses

For steam vent, I drilled and tapped into the top of the water pump and ran a 6" line from the steam tube to a thread barb inserted into the water pump

You can see it in this picture

Mounts were pretty straight forward, I cut the old mounts off the radiator support and then re-welded them where they were needed. I used the stock BMW radiator bushings to cushion the new radiator (had to drill the bottom just a bit). Top mounts were made using flat stock Al currently held in place with self tappers until my nut riveter arrives.
              Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
              '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
              Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
              1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
              Check us out
              Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
                We're doing the annual maintenance on the E30 right now. We have finally found an inexpensive radiator that is a perfect fit. You may recall that our original radiator was a composite that we had custom made.

We have found that the Murray #433331 from O'Riley Auto parts is exactly the same as our original in shape, inlet & outlet, core size and header tank thickness. It also has a drain which will make coolant issues simple to deal with. One modification is necessary: cut off the little overflow nipple near the cap and plug it with an M6x10 screw. We tapped the hole in the nipple and used a little Permatex RTV sealant (for waterpumps, etc.). The radiator from O'Riley is only about $100.
                Why would you cut the overflow nipple off instead of running that to your steam vent?
                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post
                  Why would you cut the overflow nipple off instead of running that to your steam vent?
                  The steam tube needs to be under pressure. Venting to atmosphere would allow the coolant to boil off similar to running with your radiator cap off.
                  Current: '91 DS M3, '03 TS M3 (6MT)
                  '06 Chevy 2500 Duramax - Race car hauler, '90 Corvette - Weekend toy
                  Past: '88 AW M3, '87 RB M6, '98 CS M3, '88 DS M3, '88 Zinno M3, '88 AW SETA (facelift),
                  1988 Super E (Bronzit - grey wrap)- RIP, 1986 353, 1986 VW Jetta (vr6) - Racecar

IG: RDE_Fabrications
                  Check us out
                  Or YouTube --> HERE;

Comment

Our steam vent is tied into the upper radiator hose. The little radiator nipple interferes with our intake duct .... we did not want to make a new duct. Also, the E30 de-gas bottle
                    has its own over flow vent.
                    E30-LS1 aka. 357is
                    email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
                    E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
                    E30LS1@gmail.com
                    e30ls1.com

Comment

Maybe that would explain why I don't get heat in my car currently
                      1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                      COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

Thank you

SGTSKID, thanks for the picture and information. That's super helpful. Those hoses look great. I am picking up m up tomorrow. I got the radiator yesterday and am mounting it tomorrow.

Comment

Here are the bottom mounts.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Radiator

Here is the top
                            Attached Files

Comment

Thank you all for your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X