Euro 1984 320i Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro 1984 320i Project

Well, since Im finally out of school and have time to work on the slug I figured it was time to start one of these. Got it for a song from the original owner; my friends dad who imported it after moving back to the states. Ive done more in the past few days than the past year, and Im getting close to having it back on the road for the first time since 2005.

When I got it

After replacing all fuel lines, I moved to the brakes. The rear drums were fine, but the lines blew while loading it on the trailer. They were pretty crunchy as the pic shows. I decided to drop the rear subframe to replace the lines since it too was rusty.

I wire wheeled the whole thing and replaced the subframe and trailing arm bushings with Ireland Engineering streets.

Yes those are drums

My priority was getting it running, now that that's taken care of Im moving to the cosmetics. Id like to keep it fairly stock for now, so Im doing a mild refinish of the OEM steel wheels. I polished up the center caps, have new wheel emblems on the way and tires are going to be mounted in the next few days. Im working to get a dent out of the rear bumper. I picked up fenders locally, after that it should be ready for paint. Im sticking with the original Burgundrot. More pics to follow as progress continues.

Sweet! can't wait to see progress. Great looking car.

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
    1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
    Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
    Mtech 2 turbo restoration
    Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ANDRÜ View Post
      Im sticking with the original Burgundrot. More pics to follow as progress continues.
      Good to hear. Burgundrot is the best factory colour.

Comment

Nice man Glad to hear you keeping it the same color
        Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
        1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Finally some progress.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Awesome...another Burgundrot car saved. Look forward to more updates!

Comment

Pounding out the timing belt today, after sitting for 9 years I dont want to risk it breaking. Be jealous of my distributorless timing cover!

Comment

This looks like fun!
                sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment

I halted timing belt replacement after realizing I was sent the wrong waterpump from BMA with the kit. Even worse, I ordered it in 2012 so they cant swap it for the right one (with 2 outlets). New one is on its way. In the meantime I finished and mounted the wheels.

Before

Polished the center caps and ordered new emblems. Old and new pictured

Mounted

Comment

With the engine sorted out and the rear suspension refreshed, I plan on moving to the body and front suspension. From sitting for 9 years, everything under the car is total surface rust. It was ultimately the reason I dropped the whole subframe and removed the scaling. I plan on the same for the front with new housings, control arms, tie rods and bushings. Still staying stock for now but Id like to get some decent shocks and springs in the future. Today I removed some trim in anticipation for paint and body work. I plan on removing all glass and get new chrome windshield and rear window lock trim...probably making the order tomorrow. Theres a spot under the driver's tail light that will need attention (hammer and filler). Here are some pics of removal of trim and the hidden grime.

And this is why it will be resprayed...

The federalization process is pretty interesting. Whoever was the importer welded in steel reinforcements to the front and rear bumpers. I already cut it out of the rear because it was totally rotted out. Heres the front.

More to follow after I strip the trim, mirrors, glass and extras for paint prep.

Comment

Keep it up man!
                      Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
                      1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

any updates?

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
                        1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
                        Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
                        Mtech 2 turbo restoration
                        Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
                          any updates?
                          I have the car stripped right now still doing body work. There was a nasty dent below the driver's tail light. I finally got it smoothed nicely, just waiting to paint. Pics of the Burgundrot paint progress to follow.

Comment

SUB'd
                            I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
                            DB vert plastic bumpers
                            OEM Keys
                            MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                            91 ic Calypso 3.1
                            86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
                            TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
                            e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Well, progress has been slow the past 2 weeks. Body work is complete, all dents are smooth. I am leaving for 3 months (sailor life), and it looks like I will be completing the paint after I return.

Comment

Working...
                              X