Vibration Damper Removal Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vibration Damper Removal Help

Ok, so I'm stuck. I'm trying to remove the damn vibration damper. I've removed the 3 nuts on the side of the guibo I can see (facing the rear). Now, there are 3 bolts left that are attached to the driveshaft and go through the guibo. I've got those loose, but as I turn those bolts to remove them, nothing happens. I keep turning and turning and the bolts dont budge.

If there is a nut behind the bolt, I cannot get to it since the damper leaved very little space to get behind there. I would have to remove the tranny. I know there is an easier way.

Someone please help!!

Some pics:

Too close to the tranny.

Here is what little space there is behind the damper.

Close to the tranny.
    Last edited by bioman; 11-06-2008, 01:58 AM.

Pry or cut that sumbitch off.

Andy
    -Andy

Comment

you have to pull driveshaft out. And take output shaft bolt off on the transmission to remove that dampener.

It's worth it, I did it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
        you have to pull driveshaft out. And take output shaft bolt off on the transmission to remove that dampener.

It's worth it, I did it.
        Where are the output shaft bolts you are talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by bioman View Post
          Where are the output shaft bolts you are talking about?
          In the center of the output shaft.

Andy
          -Andy

Comment

Ok, but I wouldn't even be able to take my driveshaft out. Since, those 3 bolts connected to the damper will not come out. If there is a nut on the other side, I cannot get to it due to the lack of space. I can only stick 1 finger behind the damper to feel the end of the bolt turning. Ideally, I would take an open end wrench to hold the nut as I turned the bolt with a ratched. But, I cant do this.

I could unbolt the driveshaft bolts connected to the diff with ease, but the driveshaft would still be connected to the guibo. Unless is dremel the bolts off, I dont see how they are going to come out. Seems like the only other option is to take the tranny out to get to the nut in the back.

Comment

Support the transmission midway up the case and remove the transmission support bracket. There are nuts on those bolts. You have to remove the output flange as well. It requires a 32 mm thin wall deep socket iirc. Then you put the flange in a vice and knock out the studs that attach the balancer to the flange. Re-install the studs. Have fun.

Comment

Remove this bar correct?

What does the output flange look like?

Comment

Well that's close, but you dont have an E30 M3. Basically, yes.

Comment

um...might just be me but that looks put together wrong...isn't is spossed to go trans/guibo/vibrationdampener/DS?

that looks like it goes trans/Vibration dampener/guibo/DS

Comment

The vibration dampener is attached to the output flange on the tailshaft of the transmission. It is pressed onto the studs.

His setup is assembled correctly.

Comment

so if you remove your DS the vibration dampener doesn't come with it?

my DS has the VD attached to it...whats up with that?

Comment

^ yours is wrong.

To the op:
                          The guibo is already disconnected from the VD in the pics you posted. When you pull the driveshaft the guibo will come with it and leave the VD attached to the transmission. To get the driveshaft off, loosen the collar nut in the center of the driveshaft and pull the front half backwards. I don't remember if this gets you enough room, so if it doesn't, unbolt the CSB and pull down. If that still isn't enough drop the back of the transmission like stated above and it will come out.

The output flange nut will become visible once you get the driveshaft/guibo out of the way- it is the large nut in the center of the VD.
                          Byron
                          Leichtbau

Comment

Originally posted by E30SPDFRK View Post
                            ^ yours is wrong.

To the op:
                            The guibo is already disconnected from the VD in the pics you posted. When you pull the driveshaft the guibo will come with it and leave the VD attached to the transmission. To get the driveshaft off, loosen the collar nut in the center of the driveshaft and pull the front half backwards. I don't remember if this gets you enough room, so if it doesn't, unbolt the CSB and pull down. If that still isn't enough drop the back of the transmission like stated above and it will come out.

The output flange nut will become visible once you get the driveshaft/guibo out of the way- it is the large nut in the center of the VD.
                            abepark is not wrong, my car came the same way 91 325i. output flange->guibo->dampener->driveshaft. I dont remember which year the order of the dampener changed, but there's two combos IIRC

Comment

OP needs to buy a Bentley. It's got perfect instructions for R&I of the driveshaft among other things.
                              I don't recall having any issue with removing the damper once the driveshaft was removed.
                              Make sure you source that thin wall socket BEFORE you get to that point. Without it, you'll never get the tailshaft piece off. You may find you need to make a locking tool to keep the trans shaft from spinning also. Lastly, follow the instructions in the Bentley regarding sealants for the trans output flange or the bastard will leak.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X