What makes this so costly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes this so costly

I was surfing around and was curious what makes this swap so costly? I mean a s52 would cost about 5000 a s54 about 8-10. What's this swap cost?
    Float like a cadillac sting like a Bimmer!:)

sigpic

OH gawd. Serious?

Its basically a 6 cylinder s14. Go look at how much an s14 costs, then how much a proper overhaul of one, then use an engine with two more cylinders, and more rare.

Comment

on ebay its 3800 close to the same cost of a S52. All im saying is everyone is saying it costs so much but any engine swap from an M costs a bit im curious what makes this one so costly in comparison to the other more popular ones.

sigpic

Comment

It is not just the cost of the motor itself, but also the fact that it's huge and not at all simple to fit in the bay and hook up to stuff. Add in astronomical rebuild costs and you have a pricey, complicated swap that not everyone wants to take on. An S5x is at least based on a small six (m20) and drops into the bay with some frankensteined parts. This thing won't even fit without buckling your hood unless you space the subframe down.

Comment

Define. How much does an s38 cost? How about an m88? Wait, how about an s62? These motors are way more modern than say an s50, or and m5x. And they put out way more pover. Not to mention itb's, cams, pistons, all kinds of do dads.
          Yours truly,
          Rich
          sigpic
          Originally posted by Rigmaster
          you kids get off my lawn.....

Comment

why would you need to rebuild it? With the other two swaps its you get it and install it. I understand the S5X engines are newer but would that really be the only reason? I am asking cause iv been looking around. Just bored. And i have seen there is a bit of custom work involved but rebuilding then engine? or did i not understand what you meant.

sigpic

Comment

For the most part, it's the significant chassis modifications you have to perform in order to get it to fit. I believe most people who have done the S38 swap into an E30 advise not to do it, simply because there's better ways to do pretty much the same thing in a smaller package.
              '87 325is - Schwarz/Schwarz

Comment

Originally posted by delatlanta1281 View Post
                Define. How much does an s38 cost? How about an m88? Wait, how about an s62? These motors are way more modern than say an s50, or and m5x. And they put out way more pover. Not to mention itb's, cams, pistons, all kinds of do dads.
                when i say cost im saying for the swap to be complete. Like i stated in the OP a S52 is about $5000 and a S54 can be between $8000 to $10,000 depending on your luck i suppose. what would a S38 cost?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Komzorz View Post
                  For the most part, it's the significant chassis modifications you have to perform in order to get it to fit. I believe most people who have done the S38 swap into an E30 advise not to do it, simply because there's better ways to do pretty much the same thing in a smaller package.
                  Similar but opposit reasons for someone to do a S52 rather than a S54 is suppose hu?

sigpic

Comment

Look, OP, I understand your need to get as much info on a motor swap as possible, but do you really need to make three new threads a day?

But to answer your question it is expensive because the S38 is already a pricey motor as it is. For example, a set of spark plug wires for an S38 costs over $300. Valve adjustments must be done more often and are more expensive than an M20 since you need a special BMW tool. It is also a huge motor so you have to shoehorn it into the bay (usually by means of compromising your suspension geometry).

TL;DR: If you have to ask...
                    -Alex

Comment

I would plan to, (in the level of technical expertise you seem to show you have...) budget about 15K with the labor. The subframe needs to be lowered to close the hood, the mounts need to be bought/fabricated, suspension issues and steering rack issues, the tunnel modified, etc. Then, with such a rare engine, you'd want to overhaul it to prevent scattering it's guts...

Comment

i actually have all the info i need for my swap i was just curious on a few things with this engine why there are less than the S54. and from what i understand so far is its not really a $$$ thing. cause all the 24v M swaps cost over $3500 for just the engine. Its that there is a lot of custom work to be done to the chassis because the engine dosnt exactly fit in the engine bay.

sigpic

Comment

BMW tax.............close thread.
                          sigpic

Rebellion Forge Custom Fabrication

1988 325is - TrackRat in progress

Instagram @rebellionforge

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                            I would plan to, (in the level of technical expertise you seem to show you have...) budget about 15K with the labor. The subframe needs to be lowered to close the hood, the mounts need to be bought/fabricated, suspension issues and steering rack issues, the tunnel modified, etc. Then, with such a rare engine, you'd want to overhaul it to prevent scattering it's guts...
                            I am doing my own work to my car but thank you for the input. I suppose your right on what needs to be done. This swap sounds like a pain in the ass right next to the S54 only its custom fabrication not wiring.

sigpic

Comment

Ok, so budget about $10-12,000 for the s38 if you are gonna do your own labor.

Comment

Working...
                              X