No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I started getting a vibration again around 75mph. Similar to how it was before. It's been getting worse over the last two days. My guess is the nuts needs to be replaced and are backing out slowly. So i'm gonna grab some self locking nylon m10 nuts and put those on tonight and give it another look. Always fun.

Comment

My driveshaft was giving me some vibration. I got under the car and realized it was slightly off center so I undid all the bolts and replaced them with new hardware.

Still have a slight vibration around 60-70mph. Not necessarily consistent with rpm either. I've got my tires balanced twice and done the drive shaft 3 times. I'm unsure what's causing the issue.

Also got a little artsy with a sunset.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

There is also a rubber centering bushing in the driveshaft if I'm not mistaken, this centers onto the output shaft of the transmission. The bolts them selves do little to no centering.

Part no 26117526611
        1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
        1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Originally posted by D.Martijn View Post
          There is also a rubber centering bushing in the driveshaft if I'm not mistaken, this centers onto the output shaft of the transmission. The bolts them selves do little to no centering.

Part no 26117526611
          Thanks man. When I took it out originally that part looked fine.

Comment

I'm having the most frustrating time trying to find the source of a vibration in my car. First I thought it was my wheels, they balanced. Then I thought for sure my driveshaft, but I'm replaced the flex disc, taken it out twice and tightened it all down many times without getting rid of the vibration.

If I put my car in N will on the highway the vibration is slight and comes on, then goes away, then comes back on, then goes away. It made me think I misaligned the driveshaft when installing the felt disc, but after putting so much effort into it, I can say that's the issue.

I checked my tires last night and I have horizontal play in my driver's front wheel. Could this be the cause of the vibration? Possibly my front driveshaft giving me trouble? I just don't know...

Comment

Can you isolate the vibration? Can you feel it in your steering wheel or in your seat? I had something similar happen. It was a bad tire. I swapped wheels around and confirmed what wheel was causing the vibration. It balanced fine so I replaced the tire and the vibration went away.
              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

^^same. Was chasing a vibration for years. Had my wheels rebalanced twice and changed many suspension parts and guibos only to find out years later that i had a faint looking bubble on the inside of one of my wheels that was about 1/4 of the circumference of the tire. Bought new tires, rebalanced and all was good
                www.instagram.com/snwmble
                #snwmble

Current:
                '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                  Can you isolate the vibration? Can you feel it in your steering wheel or in your seat? I had something similar happen. It was a bad tire. I swapped wheels around and confirmed what wheel was causing the vibration. It balanced fine so I replaced the tire and the vibration went away.
                  Today i felt it more in my seat more. The vibration happens, then it smooths out, then comes back, then smooths out, etc. That's going about 70mph.

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                    ^^same. Was chasing a vibration for years. Had my wheels rebalanced twice and changed many suspension parts and guibos only to find out years later that i had a faint looking bubble on the inside of one of my wheels that was about 1/4 of the circumference of the tire. Bought new tires, rebalanced and all was good
                    Thats a good idea It does feel like it started around the time I put new all-seasons on the car. I need to change to snow tires anyway, ones I know are good from last season, so maybe that will help rule that out.

Comment

Originally posted by jeenyus View Post
                      Today i felt it more in my seat more. The vibration happens, then it smooths out, then comes back, then smooths out, etc. That's going about 70mph.

Vibrations in the seat mean the vibration is in the back of the vehicle. Vibrations in the steering wheel mean it is in the front of the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                        Vibrations in the seat mean the vibration is in the back of the vehicle. Vibrations in the steering wheel mean it is in the front of the vehicle.
                        That I didn't know. I read it meant driveshaft issues. That might help. The new tires are both in the back of the car.

Comment

Vibrations can travel so it is not perfect for diagnosis but it is somewhere to start.

Comment

Installed a 5$ torx screw into the throttle body heater. At least it's zinc coated.

Comment

Ah yes, I also replaced the hoses for this throttle body heater. Kind of a pain in the ass to get the hose that leads into the block, but all is well and fresh.

Comment

Did the tires fix your vibration issue?

Comment

Working...
                                X