e30 TPS to e36 Variable TPS Wiring + Adapter + Sensor Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e30 TPS to e36 Variable TPS Wiring + Adapter + Sensor Kits

I found when turbocharging my car that the standalong Megasquirt unit I had bought needed the throttle position sensor from an m5x motor. As it turns out, the original e30 TPS is a switched style sensor with an idle, cruise, and wide open throttle switch. The solution is a variable TPS from an e36 or m50 engine. This potentiometer style sensor gives the voltage signal megasquirt is looking for based on throttle percentage open. Here is an image showing the two sensors.

It is true that the e32/e34 automatics had a TPS with both the potentiometer and the switched style sensor build in one. As it turns out this sensor costs $300 these days and the connector does not connect to the e30 style engine harness so some custom wiring must be done. Here is a photo of that sensor.

To make the e36 unit work with the e30 wiring harness a couple things must be done:

1. Source e36 TPS sensor
    2. Build or purchase custom bracket to mount vTPS to e30 throttle body
    3. Modify wiring harness by switching 2 wires so megasquirt sees correct TPS signal.

I am working on solving all 3 problems in one easy to install kit and/or individual components. The kit would include:

1. A brand new variable TPS sensor
    2. An M50 Throttle Position Sensor to a M20 Throttle Body Adapter
    3. An M50 TPS to M20 Engine Harness Wiring Adapter using original style connectors

The benefits to this kit include it being totally reversible. You can remove it and revert back to stock TPS and motronic. There is no wiring, no hassle, and no headaches. This is a direct plug and play solution with all the headache taken out of it. The bosch style connectors fit right into the e30 engine harness and the TPS sensor. The wiring adapter will swap the necessary wires and the bracket will bolt right up to both the throttle body and the sensor and come with all necessary mounting components.

I have ordered and received parts and am about to assemble these units but would like to set up a feeler and group buy. Please let me know if you are interested and if you would want the full kit, the kit without the sensor, or just the wiring adapter or tps adapter bracket and hardware. I am trying to price the adapter kit without the sensor at $89 and with the sensor about $135 shipped. The wiring adapter only would be cheaper, somewhere around $45 shipped.

TPS ADAPTER Group Buy

*** I am looking into a few other adapters including GM IAT Sensor to Bosch style AFM Connector, maybe a DB37 connector, and a Bosch 35 pin to 55 pin adapter so motronic 1.0/1.1 guys can run megasquirt. ***
    318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
    '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

I build my first prototype tps adapter and it worked. Here area couple of pictures. I didn't use heat shrink or the rubber dust boots on this one in case I had a problem. Here are a few pictures as well as once I installed it on my car and tested it. Note I am using a homemade adapter bracket not the one that will come in this kit.

I did a datalog, but ignore the AFR readings as i am running the engine on basically stock Motronic 1.3 with a narrowband oxygen sensor.

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Good to hear it works. This would be nice to have had before I did my swap. Still one I'd probably get for one of my other M30 cars.
      http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

Thanks Ted!

Downforce22/Ted built me a e36 TPS wiring adapter for RHD ITB's and MS2 install on my m20b31 stroker. Was not interested in using ancient three-position e30 TPS (idle, POT, and WOT), so I needed a wiring harness to use the e36 dynamic TPS with MS2.

The harness functions as described, build quality is very high, and using it makes the install look clean. Ted constantly communicated with me, and was very accommodating when I changed my order from 12" to 6" long.

I would "HIGHLY RECOMMEND" using Downforce22/Ted and his quality product. Thank you Ted!
        1989 332iS AW2 @ 2,342 lbs. m20b31 (JE FSR 10.5:1; 284/280 cam; ST+1 Intakes; RHD 40mm ITB/CF Plenum; Stahl 1.5"/CRMB X/Borla XS Pro; TMS J-Stock suspension (Ver. 2); M3 E3 undertray/VAC CF splitter; exhaust blown difusser; (Teves Mk60 ABS in trunk next)

Originally posted by Jb325is
        Sucks for everyone involved. Lots of guys are just building IG cars these days... Look good on the internet, but in real life they're hacked up piles of shit.
        Transaction Feedback: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=258421

Comment

Thanks for the review Glen. Here are some photos of the competed adapter with PICO high temp heat shrink and rubber boots and wire dust boots. Can supply new e36 vTPS and vTPS adapter bracket as well.

I was asked to provide the GM IAT sensor and can get that as well. PM for pricing and specific order needs.

Comment

135 shipped seems very reasonable. Is it a Bosch sensor.
            SSSQUID is building a MS unit for me right now. As far as the length goes it sounds like 12" is necessary for RHD ITB's.
            Last edited by Chrisbike; 10-16-2017, 02:34 PM.
            Build Thread
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=419655
            Parts Thread
            https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=408302

Comment

Go Ted go

Bumpski for great seller
              1989 332iS AW2 @ 2,342 lbs. m20b31 (JE FSR 10.5:1; 284/280 cam; ST+1 Intakes; RHD 40mm ITB/CF Plenum; Stahl 1.5"/CRMB X/Borla XS Pro; TMS J-Stock suspension (Ver. 2); M3 E3 undertray/VAC CF splitter; exhaust blown difusser; (Teves Mk60 ABS in trunk next)

Sucks for everyone involved. Lots of guys are just building IG cars these days... Look good on the internet, but in real life they're hacked up piles of shit.

Comment

I received another order and started to build more vTPS Adapters.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Comment

I wonder if these can be used to adapt from M30 speed/ref sensor connection of the wiring harness to the M30B35 hall sensor. The connector shapes look familiar to me...

You'd just want it to be probably about 36 inches. Could be usable for early M30 Motronic to Megasquirt swaps.
                  http://www.Drive4Corners.com

Comment

7" long adapter for RHD ITBs?

Originally posted by Chrisbike View Post
                    ...As far as the length goes it sounds like 12" is necessary for RHD ITB's.
                    Because these wires are often cracked and nasty looking, I cut about 5-6" off the factory m20b25 hard plastic covering on the engine wiring harness loom for the TPS, ICV, and CC (deleted, unused plug on my install), then where I cut it I used a zip-tie to contain the wires. I then heat shrunk the wires to the TPS, ICV. I cut my CC plug off, but left the 2 wires stubbed for later possible use with another auxiliary use with MS2 PNP, so no need to wrap these. My wires are now nice looking and very supple.

Also, if for some reason you are using a Motronic 1.0 m20b27 engine harness, there will no CC plug as those models use a manual purge valve.

I did this to tuck this 3-function part (on mine 2 of course with CC plug cut) of the engine harness under the RHD ITB's, so that part of the harness is not hanging low. Thus I'm only using a 7" adapter from downforce22/ted with my RHD ITB's, and no lose wires or extra wiring hanging around.

Of course if you install RHD ITB's you could have downforce22/Ted make you a 12" and not have to cut any of the engine wiring harness for the TPS, ICV, and CC, but you would have to somehow tuck the low hanging long-wired harness away, no BFD.
                    Last edited by nogapersnBMWs; 10-18-2017, 08:36 PM. Reason: manual CC purge

Comment

Thank you for the feedback Glen.

I have had a couple of orders and sold my first full kit. This includes:

- New e36 Variable TPS
                      - New e36 Variable TPS injection molded adapter plate with brass inserts and mounting hardware (Squared Motorwerks)
                      - New Wiring adapter for Variable TPS

Here are a few photos.

Comment

Is this kit still available and for sale?

Comment

I would also like to know if you are making these kits.

Comment

I’d also buy one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Or if you have the cad file for the adapter! It would be awesome to just quick 3D print it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X