Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help to find out where this thud/thump noise coming!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help to find out where this thud/thump noise coming!!

Hello guys,

89 325i Sedan, I get this thud/thump noise coming from passenger side, when I go on rough road or small bumps.

It doesn't sound like metal to metal, but more likely something is loose/hitting the plastic trims or plastic parts.

I can't point exact area but it's coming from passenger side front door/window/b-pillar/rear parcel shelf.

I have removed/inspected/reinstalled - Seat belt, glove box, both front and rear door cards, rear parcel shelf, trunk trims so far.

And replaced all broken door card clips, missing screws and etc, but yet I can't eliminate this noise.

Did anyone have similar issue or noise before?

Any inputs would be appreciated!

I would check your sway bar end links. Make sure they're not worn, and re-torque them.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
      I would check your sway bar end links. Make sure they're not worn, and re-torque them.
      Thank you for the reply.

I will check both front and rear end links over this weekend, hope that was it.

Comment

I had rear upper shock mounts making that noise. Also check the top mounts on the front shocks, anywhere there’s rubber you’ll find stuff that needs to be refreshed.
        My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
        I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
          I had rear upper shock mounts making that noise. Also check the top mounts on the front shocks, anywhere there’s rubber you’ll find stuff that needs to be refreshed.
          My rear shock mounts were replaced not too long ago, when I installed new shocks - less than a month, but no fronts.

This is an exact noise I am getting as well.

Could this be the front shock mounts?
          Last edited by mentholguy; 05-24-2018, 11:13 AM.

Comment

Sounds like your driveshaft is loose, check you CSB, GUIBO, U joints or even your shifter carrier?
            @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Usually drive shaft issues are related to load, this seems to get worse depending on the road surface right?

That really sounds like a shock mount to me. Were the washers properly installed in your rear shock mounts? I would pull the carpet back and check them.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
                Usually drive shaft issues are related to load, this seems to get worse depending on the road surface right?

That really sounds like a shock mount to me. Were the washers properly installed in your rear shock mounts? I would pull the carpet back and check them.

I have checked shock mount again, but all tight and solid.

Saw sway bar links are somewhat cracked and dried.

Ordered new links and JT-Design RSM to try if end links don’t fix the issue..

Thank you guys for help!

Comment

Working...
                X