Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to refresh and upgrade the M20. Looking for feedback on both.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to refresh and upgrade the M20. Looking for feedback on both.

Hello all

Long time DIYer here with a nice '89 325i 117k mi that is leaking a decent amount of oil from headgasket and possibly also rear main. I like the car a lot, use it as my daily driver. I'm looking to give it the attention it deserves and a few presents to 'wake it up' without sacrificing any DDability while I'm in there. I've built a few motors (911 3.2, Alfa twin-cam) in the past and hope this one won't be too challenging, but it is my dd so I'm trying to organize for a nice quick rebuild. The menu, for your feedback:

Maintenance:
    Headgasket, Goetze
    Rear main seal, Corteco
    Front crank seal, Corteco
    Valve seals (maybe)
    Head bolts, BMW
    Waterpump, Geba
    Timing belt + tensioner, Conti, CRP
    Cam seal, Corteco
    Intake Gasket, Elring
    Exhaust gaskets, Elring
    Exhaust Nuts
    Clutch Kit, Sachs
    Pilot Bearing, BMW
    Clutch Slave, FTE
    Clutch Line, FTE
    Oil pan gasket, BMW
    Engine Mounts, Corteco
    Lotsa other little gaskets I'm forgetting...

Fun:
    Light Flywheel, RHD
    Camshaft 272, Ireland
    Rockers, HD from Ireland
    Springs inner, BMW
    Springs outer, BMW
    Headers - TBD, maybe not at all
    Chip - SSSquid to suit above and 87 octane. Yes, I know but I love that this awesome car runs on 87.

Any head i pull off goes to the machine shop for testing (vacuum, pressure and cracks). Generally results in a valve or two needing to be replaced, valve grinds and also valve stem seals. Comes back uber clean due to the acid bath. Cheap insurance and worth it even on a quick refresh i think.

Comment

Add valve guides and seats recut/ground probably going to be needed. Head lightly skimmed.
      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Yes concur with you both. I have a general purpose machine shop line in my budget.

Comment

I'm doing the same thing you are right now on the same car.

Basically the same parts list. I didn't see there was much gain with the 272 cam on a stock engine. Just moving the power band up the rpm scale. I got a stock Febi cam for $140.

I used the engine gasket kit from Bimmerheads. Their price was really good.

Make sure you've got tools to get the crank sprocket off. My impact got it but I've read some people struggled with it.

You might think about painting ot powder coating the valve cover and intake manifold while they are off.

I sent my injectors out for a rebuild and balance.
          Good time to replace the fuel lines, vac lines and coolant hoses.

Might want to clean the throttle body and do the single vac line mod.

Update your steering rack with the engine out?

Rebuild shift linkage?

It's a slippery slope..
          1991 318iC
          1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Hey there - I saw and read your thread, thanks for responding.

I too was waffling on the cam. I don't know if a slightly longer/higher cam combined with the featherweight flywheel would lead to less than DD-smooth idle in all conditions. Did you replace your cam nonetheless because it was scored/pitted?

Good tip on the bimmerheads kit - will probably save me from ordering little bits I'd otherwise forget

Will be home powdercoating bits. I'm having trouble finding 'correct' pics of the '89 engine bay but believe intake and valve cover would be natural alum, sealed so I'll probably blast them then shoot them in clear or silver.

And yes to all the others - none are real budget busters. I had the 911 injectors tested/balanced; felt good but they were within 5% of perfect to begin with. Noted that new Bosch injectors are available for darn close to the cost of servicing older ones.

Did you end up replacing the exh manifolds?

Comment

I saw some reference to these on past posts - the spec is certainly nice, any experience?

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
                Hey there - I saw and read your thread, thanks for responding.

I too was waffling on the cam. I don't know if a slightly longer/higher cam combined with the featherweight flywheel would lead to less than DD-smooth idle in all conditions. Did you replace your cam nonetheless because it was scored/pitted?

Good tip on the bimmerheads kit - will probably save me from ordering little bits I'd otherwise forget

Will be home powdercoating bits. I'm having trouble finding 'correct' pics of the '89 engine bay but believe intake and valve cover would be natural alum, sealed so I'll probably blast them then shoot them in clear or silver.

And yes to all the others - none are real budget busters. I had the 911 injectors tested/balanced; felt good but they were within 5% of perfect to begin with. Noted that new Bosch injectors are available for darn close to the cost of servicing older ones.

Did you end up replacing the exh manifolds?
                cheap new injectors could be knock offs
                89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

Comment

Bosch parts, from Brazil. No idea how they compare to whats on the car. I paid $25 per for cleaning balancing orings when I had the injectors from the 911 done.

Comment

oh ok thats why, it should cost about much less for a clean and o-rings. what is balancing lol

Comment

I sent my injectors to southbay. $20 each for clean, reseal and test.

My cam was damaged so I had to do something. The I.E. was tempting but I didn't want a regrind. The Scrick was to expensive for a stock motor.

Exhaust manifolds I haven't checked closely yet. I would get a header if there was a good one at a semi reasonable price. Not familiar with the one you posted.
                      1991 318iC
                      1989 325i Field Rescue

Comment

Balancing is making sure each injector discharges the same qty of fuel at a given load.

IE sells new billet cams for 325 http://www.iemotorsport.com/bmw/item/m20cam272ie.html

Comment

The PO used unknown waterpump, belt tensioner and I believe one or both are contributing on an on/off squeak that new belts, tension can't cure. Are Geba and Ina "the good stuff" ? Listed as German made/OEM quality on FCP

Comment

Originally posted by r-mm View Post
                            The PO used unknown waterpump, belt tensioner and I believe one or both are contributing on an on/off squeak that new belts, tension can't cure. Are Geba and Ina "the good stuff" ? Listed as German made/OEM quality on FCP

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw...11311469240kit
                            Those are both good. INA is what comes with a conti kit
                            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                            Alice the Time Capsule
                            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

sub, in for the ride.

Comment

Working...
                              X