No announcement yet.

Replacing the E30 Heater Core and Valve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My ball valve style fix is still going strong, was less than $10 to do. Just have to manually open/close if you want to use AC. However my car currently doesn’t have working ac soooo

Comment

Day 2, 100*F weather, no leaks.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

which hose to connect to heater valve

Appreciated if you can advise me on which hoses that the heater valve (PART#: 64 11 1 386 707) be connected to, either to the hose coming from the back of the head or the hose coming in from coolant reservoir. Both heater valve and heater core hoses are all metal in my 1990 BMW 325i. Those hoses were bypassed by previous owner and I just replaced them with a new heater valve and heater core. Thank you in advance. Sorry..I am new the forum.

Comment

Back of the head to the bottom aluminium line.
          Top aluminium line goes to the radiator.
          I do things.

Comment

Thank you! I will revert those back as I have connected wrong. No wonder I have no heat. I will keep you posted.

Comment

any chance you can do a write up on that open close valve thingamabober!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by shoshottz View Post
                any chance you can do a write up on that open close valve thingamabober!?

Take off the kick panel and behind the plastic ducting you will see the heater core Tubing and valve. You will need to loosen the engine bay hose clamps first, then unscrew any of the mounts on the inside that hold the piping in place, remove the heater core cover, unclip heater valve connector, then wiggle out. Be careful though because it will be messy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mbonanni View Post
                  My ball valve style fix is still going strong, was less than $10 to do. Just have to manually open/close if you want to use AC. However my car currently doesn’t have working ac soooo

sorry @jjoc i meant a write up on this! seriously!

Comment

so if i have no AC (24v swap), can i just fab up a straight pipe and forget the entire heater valve? any reason why i wouldnt want to?

Comment

I wish I had more pics, but that’s all I’ve got. The valve is $10 from home depot. Just takes some clamps and some coolant hose to fab up.

Also, I think making it a straight shot will cause your air to blow max heat all the time. Since AC wont matter in your case I guess it depends if you want to control the heat or have a fan.

Comment

I wish I had more pics, but that’s all I’ve got. The valve is $10 from home depot. Just takes some clamps and some coolant hose to fab up.

Also, I think making it a straight shot will cause your air to blow max heat all the time. Since AC wont matter in your case I guess it depends if you want to control the heat or have a fan.

Hmmmmm, this helps me reconsider

Comment

@mbonanni
                          last questions...
                          i dont have ac but sometimes i enjoy the the blower motor lol...
                          if i close the valve, essentially im closing coolant flow off to the heater system which in turn would then allow the coolant to just cycle in the engine as if the heater core was bypassed right?

Comment

Yes that is correct, or at least that was my understanding of how the system works. I could be wrong though.

Comment

Originally posted by shoshottz View Post
                              @mbonanni
                              last questions...
                              i dont have ac but sometimes i enjoy the the blower motor lol...
                              if i close the valve, essentially im closing coolant flow off to the heater system which in turn would then allow the coolant to just cycle in the engine as if the heater core was bypassed right?

You are correct - closed disables hot coolant from going through the heater core, causing there to be no heat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Can anybody tell me how to remove this black plastic vent? I can only see one screw on the bottom right which I took off but I can't see anywhere else it's attached to.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X