No announcement yet.

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey berlow how is the AKG in the IX? Threw a z3 1.9 lever in mine but still not satisfied with the tightness.
    89' 325ix Diamantschwarz/Black rattle can...

Insta: r_moose_w

Originally posted by flyboyx
    I imagine her smelling like spoiled milk and having a half inch crust of doodoo circumnavigating her butthole.

Comment

Shift Lever and Short Shifters

Originally posted by ThatM20Guy View Post
      Hey berlow how is the AKG in the IX? Threw a z3 1.9 lever in mine but still not satisfied with the tightness.

It's amazing!
      The throw is a little too short for my opinion. Definitely shorter than my CAE in my other car.

If you do go with the AKG in an IX, you have to grind a little off the bottom of where the shifter attaches to the selector rod and shim the shifter itself up from the tranny tunnel about 3mm.
      Otherwise it will hit the transfer case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      The best one-stop shopping for German car parts and lifestyle: http://www.gutenparts.com/

Comment

Here my solidshifter...

DSSR

35mm throw from N to gear

Video :
        Last edited by ngampleh; 07-18-2017, 07:27 AM.
        [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
        ---------------------------------------------------------------
        [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
        Transaction Feedback

Comment

I never realized the AKG bolts straight to the body and eliminates the shift support rod entirely.

Does it move around noticeably as the engine/trans move around on the mounts?

Or do you have your driveline poly/solid mounted?

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
            I never realized the AKG bolts straight to the body and eliminates the shift support rod entirely.

Does it move around noticeably as the engine/trans move around on the mounts?

Or do you have your driveline poly/solid mounted?
            I used e28m5 motor mount & e21 trans mount with cup.
            Didnt notice move trans + motor
            Last edited by ngampleh; 07-18-2017, 07:26 AM.
            [ETA - E30 Adapters] 5 Lug kit with e46m3 front and e46 325/328i rear brake setup
            [ETA - E30 Adapters] - 5 Lug kit | DTM Shifter | DSSR
            Transaction Feedback

Comment

I installed an x5 shift lever with my recent 5 speed swap.
              Lever still has some bend in it. I bent it about halfway to straight from its original angle.

Here are some pics of the shifter throw (1st, N, 2nd)

1990 325iX - sterlingsilber metallic
              1991 325i - lazurblau metallic

Originally posted by delamaize
              E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

how do you like it?
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                  how do you like it?
                  Actually like it a lot, I like the throw and its not too notchy and gears are easy to find. Also I like that the shifter is close and I don't have to go reaching very far.

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Originally posted by berlow94 View Post
                    It's amazing!
                    The throw is a little too short for my opinion. Definitely shorter than my CAE in my other car.

If you do go with the AKG in an IX, you have to grind a little off the bottom of where the shifter attaches to the selector rod and shim the shifter itself up from the tranny tunnel about 3mm.
                    Otherwise it will hit the transfer case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    2 flat brim ball caps.
                    ACS S3 Build / Dinan 5 E34

Comment

Anyone like the B&M shifter? Find one that came in car is excessively notchy and stiff. Spoiled as I have had the UUC for years in another car and like that.
                      https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

Anyone done a direct comparison of the z3m and e60 545i rod ?

I've mounted the early shift console modified to the top of the transmission tunnel, looking for a shift rod that would w/o hitting the driveshaft below but also have a long enough rod below the ball point .

I am thinking z3-m would work better than z3-1.9 in this case? Or perhaps 545i?
                        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                          Anyone done a direct comparison of the z3m and e60 545i rod ?

I've mounted the early shift console modified to the top of the transmission tunnel, looking for a shift rod that would w/o hitting the driveshaft below but also have a long enough rod below the ball point .

I am thinking z3-m would work better than z3-1.9 in this case? Or perhaps 545i?
                          I've had both in my zf e36. The z3m was too short and notchy for my tastes, so I swapped it out for the 545 lever which is a lot nicer to shift. The z3m lever is both shorter in overall height and hangs lower due to the pivot ball location than the 545 lever. I took a picture on the previous page which shows a comparison of several shift levers to give you an idea.

Is this for the m60 zf? My friend had the 530 zf in his m60 car with the top mounted shifter plate, and it was a very short throw with the 545 lever and shortened selector lever. If I recall correctly, I think the length measurement for the rod was the difference between stock e36 (too short) and stock e34 530 (too long). I would think the z3m lever is going to be REALLY short with that configuration.

Comment

Yep, this is for my m60 with zf swap, and my shifter carrier is top mounted. Chatted with Blunt today and went with the z3 2.8 to give that a shot.
                            Since the shifter carrier is top mounted, that brings the shift lever up a good inch or so...so I was hoping to find something that wouldn't be super long but also have some clearance below the ball point as well.

I'll see how this feels once I install it and I'll report back.

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by BECKSTER View Post
                              I'm running a early model plate shifter that's been mounted inside the car with a Z3 1.9 shifter rod, the setup feels good but there is one problem, 3rd gear is tricky to find which leads to accidental shifts into 5th occasionally.

I've drawn the conclusion that the reason for this is because the selector rod sits higher
                              in the back due to the fact that the shift lever is mounted higher inside the chassis.

Would this be the reason for 3rd gear being tricky?

Have you figured this out?

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
                                Yep, this is for my m60 with zf swap, and my shifter carrier is top mounted. Chatted with Blunt today and went with the z3 2.8 to give that a shot.
                                Since the shifter carrier is top mounted, that brings the shift lever up a good inch or so...so I was hoping to find something that wouldn't be super long but also have some clearance below the ball point as well.

I'll see how this feels once I install it and I'll report back.

Interested in this

E30 = Lego for men.

Comment

Working...
                                X