X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^ do what makes you happy.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

This morning I switched on the high beams, pulled out fuse #1, and found that both headlights on the left hand side went out. Similarly with fuse #2 for the right hand side. I guess that confirms what you were saying about the hi part of the "lo-beam" bulb being on the hi-beam circuit. Also noted that fog lights go off automatically when high beams go on.

Comment

^ Yep, looking at the diagram the fog lights can only be on when the low beams are on, and since the low beams go out when the highs are enabled so do the fogs. The relay guide I linked to also re-maps to allow for independent fogs.

Daniel
        1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
        2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

I have an 89 with the stock US Smilies. One of the high beams is cracked, and the lows are pitted. What options do I have to clean them up?

Comment

just to pipe in and give my .02

i've done 4 (and currently doing my 5th) retrofits on e30/e34 headlights. the mini-H1 lights are pretty garbage, and really not worth the $$ compared to better retrofits. you can't use OEM bulbs, either. if you are going to do all that work or spend all that money, might as well get MUCH better lighting. i put a mini-h1 next to a us-spec e30 projector with HIDs and the us-spec e30 projector was actually brighter (although less wide). yeah, i know its easier to fit, but there is room for full size retrofit projectors in there. I actually sold off the mini-h1s and bought better lights I was so disappointed.

of the headlights I've used, here are my rankings. (all my bixenon kits have been from TRS/Morimoto brand)
            FX-R 1.1
            FX-R 3.0
            Mini DS2 4.0
            US Spec e30 projectors with HIDs
            Euro Spec e30 projectors with HIDs
            Mini H1 5.0

I've also seen the acura TL's in person and those are better than the rest, but are much more expensive and harder to fit, making the FX-R a much better option unless you have no budget.

also, for any one that cares, TRS is now selling 3800k HID bulbs, which is f*ckin awesome because its the same color as Halogen, which improves vision and fits the vintage of e30s much better.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
              i've done 4 (and currently doing my 5th) retrofits on e30/e34 headlights. the mini-H1 lights are pretty garbage, and really not worth the $$ compared to better retrofits.

of the headlights I've used, here are my rankings. (all my bixenon kits have been from TRS/Morimoto brand)
              FX-R 1.1
              FX-R 3.0
              Mini DS2 4.0
              US Spec e30 projectors with HIDs
              Euro Spec e30 projectors with HIDs
              Mini H1 5.0
              Just an FYI, the Mini H1 6.0 (that I installed when I wrote this thread) supposedly provided a big jump in light output. Unfortunately I never have tried or even seen 1.0 - 5.0 in person. But here is a graphic from the Retrofit Lab when they tested the 5.0 vs the 6.0 and 6.1:

They don't say what their scale is, but the 6.0 is ~2x improvement on the unnamed scale.

The latest version from Moriomoto is the 7.0, which supposedly saw a few more improvements over the 6.0

I am not at all implying the Mini H1 is the best out there, but the ease of install when coupled with the Squared adapters makes it a much more attractive option for some.

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
              also, for any one that cares, TRS is now selling 3800k HID bulbs, which is f*ckin awesome because its the same color as Halogen, which improves vision and fits the vintage of e30s much better.
              Great news! When I bought my kit I chose the 4500K, and they are surprisingly blue.

Daniel
              1990 M3 - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=376104
              2011 328i Sport Wagon - 6sp Manual, RWD, Sport

Comment

I'm a current FXR retrofit owner and was told the v7.0 surpasses my set up, is that true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you for this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  E30 | E46 | E53 | F31

Collection of my DIY Guides here

Comment

Hmm

I'm gonna have to reread all of that again. I'm looking for some projector / smiley lights on my car. Since I have gotten a little older they are more of a requirement than an option.

Comment

I just ordered some 9012 HIR2 using your link. I figure an improvement in the interim until I decide which way to go with the HIDs. I liked them in my previous E30 and I just bought a crappy DDM kit for ~$50
                      Simon
                      Current Cars:
                      -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Thank you OP. I'm starting on my Squared retrofit into DEPO housings and your tutorial with pics is amazing. I've had these parts for 3 years now and just getting around to doing the work. I think I have the mini H1 6.0. Anything is better than the standard halogen bulbs though.

Quick question: has anyone noticed blurred cutoff or bad color from the lights using the Squared adapters? Reason I ask is that once you disassemble the H1 projector and put it back together with the Squared adapter sandwiched in between it changes the distance from the bulb to the lens by a pretty large amount. I'd say around a heavy 1/8" with the gaskets stuffed in there. Just something that occurred to me as I was putting everything together.

EDIT: Just checked and I do have the mini H1 6.0 with 35W bulbs

Comment

Instead of modifying my fuse box and relays I used a diode to make the low beams stay on with the high. This is on my 91 cabrio. I spliced in the new bulb plugs and ran the high beam/low beam leads to the diode. This prevents overloading the other circuit when one is on.

My car has the high and low beam wiring on the low beam plug with 3 connectors. Just putting the two together would blow out the headlamp fuses when either was on. You so still have to use 10a fuses in the high beams. Can continue to use 7.5 in the low beams though.

Comment

Useful thread - thank you everyone. I just did the same thing to my 92 Cabrio. I cleaned up a set of US Ellipsoids, built new low beam adapters and high beam diode harnesses, and connected everything up to the existing wiring. I blew a few 7.5 amp fuses and will likely be switching the high-beams (55w + 65w halogen bulbs = 120w) to 10 amp fuses next time one goes. Looks great and much more light now.

Jon (OO=[][]=OO)
                            1992 325ic white, stock with a 5-speed swap
                            Palm Beach County

Comment

Has anyone explored the Bimmerworld Hella LED lights? They're a direct replacement for the sealed beam headlights. I've also seen people get 5.75" motorcycle headlights off Amazon and make those work. I have ellipsoids and after reading through the excellent write-up about retrofitting LED projectors, I'm wondering if it would be easier to convert to sealed beam buckets and the Hella LEDs. There would still be some wiring to do, right? Thoughts? Experience?

Comment

Working...
                              X