E36 328 driveshaft works w/ ZF 320

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E36 328 driveshaft works w/ ZF 320

This might be a huge "duh" but there is a lot of second-hand info on what driveshafts work. I thought I'd mention my own first-hand experience. ;-)

The short of it: You can use the E36 328i transmission, flex disc, and driveshaft together, but you need to use the E30 center support bearing. You don't have to do anything strange, like exposing more of the splines of the front section. It is just the right length for the job.

The 328i uses the same transmission as the later model E36 M3, the ZF 320. The E36 328i/is driveshaft (part number 26111227283) fits only when you replace the center bearing and support with an E30 unit. However, you need to use the E36 front (26111226552) and rear dust (26111226553) covers. The circlip (26123648156) is the same.

As for equivalence to the 97+ M3 driveshaft, I have no idea. In principle it should work fine, because the M3 driveshaft is the same length according to the ETK (1492 mm). I think the M3 guibo is beefier. The bolt circle diameter is the same at 96mm according to the ETK, but the guibo bolts are specified 4mm longer than the 328i bolts.

Fred

Originally posted by whysimon
    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

The e36 325is one works too , i had to slide it apart on the spline a little if i remember. Well maybe it should be summed up in the sticky thread .
    253rwhp

My Vids(OLD)
    http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/a/u/0/hS4ZAzSdUdY
    http://www.youtube.com/user/aeryk7#p/u/2/C-0hnV2k_xU

Comment

This post is now in the wiki at http://www.e30dohc.com/wiki/index.ph...ics#Driveshaft

Please update or revise if necessary.
      E30 Wiki: e30dohc.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
        As for equivalence to the 97+ M3 driveshaft, I have no idea. In principle it should work fine, because the M3 driveshaft is the same length according to the ETK (1492 mm). I think the M3 guibo is beefier. The bolt circle diameter is the same at 96mm according to the ETK, but the guibo bolts are specified 4mm longer than the 328i bolts.

Fred
        Maybe, maybe not. A lot of e36s have a CV joint at the rear of the driveshaft... so they have 6 bolts connecting them to the diff. These won't work.

Comment

I am 95% certain only the S50US equipped M3s had a six bolt driveshaft. I bet the six bolt driveshaft, part number 26112227222, can be made to work if you swap the diff input flange.

The S52 M3s had a four bolt driveshaft with a swivel joint, part number 26112227813. You NEVER hear about folks having to swap an input flange on a stock 3.23 LSD from a 1997+ E36 M3, because it always has a four bolt installed.

My theory follows.

The S50B30 Euro M3 came with the same transmission as the US, the ZF310. It is listed as 1469mm in length, and both the Euro and US driveshafts share the same part number, 26112227222. It has a CV joint at the rear.

Later, when the S50B32 Euro M3 with the Getrag 420G debuted, it came with a 1367mm long driveshaft with a CV joint at the rear, and has part number 26112227975. It was superseded in 5/1997 with 26112228805, but the driveshaft has the same listed length at 1367mm.

So, where I am I going with this? My theory is that BMW had plenty of CV driveshafts made for the S50 US M3 and the S50B30 Euro M3. Once they required a different length CV driveshaft for the Euro model, they would have to either continue manufacturing the CV driveshaft for only the US model, or switch to a design that offered easier assembly with four bolts, and cheaper manufacturing costs.

That's just a wild guess as to what happened.

Comment

Just found this thread.
            I will be swapping an s50 with the 95 m3 zf trans into a 90 325i coupe. Which driveshaft works in this application?

Is there a way to modify the e30 shaft and make it work?
            What is dimensionally wrong with using the e30 325i unit?
            Thanks

Comment

A non CV E36 M3 driveshaft, an E30 M3 driveshaft, and a E36 328 driveshaft will all work.

The E30 325i driveshaft has the wrong transmission output flange bolt circle diameter. The guibo that fits the ZF 310/320 is larger in diameter than the E30 325i driveshaft guibo.

Comment

Ah, ok. Thanks for the quick response.
                What doesn't work about the e36 325is driveshaft?
                -Dan

Comment

the driveshaft input flange is too small. It is 78 mm but the 328 and M3 are both 96mm.

Comment

Good info.
                    Thanks

Comment

old thread lives!! So the e30 325i driveshaft won't work with the G260 trans and M50 or will it? I'm having this problem right now, the driveshaft is too short.

Comment

Originally posted by g22 View Post
                        old thread lives!! So the e30 325i driveshaft won't work with the G260 trans and M50 or will it? I'm having this problem right now, the driveshaft is too short.
                        It works with the stock trans. you can use the stock e30 driveline with the 260
                        84 318I Delphin RIP
                        87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                        89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

so how about G250 and M50? going in soon and want no surprises
                          NASA
                          BMWCCA member
                          PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                          1997 M3 sedan
                          2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

stock e36 ds needed

Comment

Originally posted by Dominic49 View Post
                              stock e36 ds needed
                              Thanks...in search of one..which carrier and shift rod works the best with M50/g250
                              NASA
                              BMWCCA member
                              PCA member 25yrs

1991 318IS slick top
                              1997 M3 sedan
                              2001 325CI DD

“whoever turns the wheel the least, wins"

Comment

Working...
                              X