Semaj4712 - 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Semaj4712 - 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread

So before I tell the back story up until now, I just want to preface with, this is nothing groundbreaking, nothing that hasn't been done before, but I set a goal to build a car the way I've always wanted to using minimal help from shops etc, but rather learn from my previous mistakes and enlist the labor of friends.

The platform for this build is a 1972 BMW 2002, always liked the look of an 02, i think its really the root for most of the success BMW has had in the automotive industry.

I picked this car up for a great deal in San Antonio 2 years ago, in the middle of a road trip between my wife's father's in Florida to LA. She got herself a model A chasis and engine, and we packed that up into a penske truck and drove across the country via San Antonio to pick up the 02.

Heres a couple more pictures from the trip

Got all the parts loaded up

The poor little m10 was completely trashed, and ready to go to the graveyard

For the power train I decided to keep it in the family, the m20 seemed like the perfect candidate. It maintained the look and originality I wanted. Originally i had intended on building a 2.8 turbo but after finding a really solid eta block decided it would be better to spend my time on the car and not so much on the motor at this point, afterall I could always build the 2.8 later and swap it out.

Test fitting the turbo manifold to get some measurement and make sure it'll fit in the car

Got it painted up gold, because who doesnt love a gold engine

Got some parts in the mail

And painted them gold too!

Then obviosuly eventually i had to start putting everything together

Sent out the manifold to get ceramic coated, probably over kill but I like overkill

Motor pretty much all assembled

The extensive amount of work on the body had to take a back seat to a few projects that I had already started prior to the 02

My wifes 66 c10 needed a mild rebuild so we pulled that out and addressed that

My wife wanted to keep the original patina on the engine (who can blame her) so we cleaned the engine all the way down to the bare metal and paint, then cleared it

And then , my motorcycle which I've had forever and just begged to be finished

This build started years ago in my kitchen before I had a garage to work in

My first attempt at machining something, these are carb spacers / mounts

Also spent some time building this bike for jfarhanbod

And this slammed wagon

And from time to time im always having to work on my favorite truck in the whole world, lynn!

So then in February i got married, and that consumed my life for the last 6 months, but finally a month ago was able to get back to it

To fit the intercooler and radiator in front of the m20 i cut out the front area,

I hope to make roughly 350hp to 375hp, and with that much power in such a light car im gonna need all the rubber I can get, so mk1 rabbit flares it is

This past weekend i started tackling the interior, and started by melting off the rubber shit in the drivers side

In doing so i found a lot of rust, so out came the floor pan

And mocked up a new floorpan and got it welded into place, took a little bit of hammering to get it to match the contours

Started the pedal box

Tomorrow I am going to try and atleast get the trans tunnel tacked into place

So this brings us to now, two years of not a whole lot of anything, but now I am fully dedicated to getting this done, the immediate plans are to get the fabrication and rust repair finished, then get the car to jmp autowerkz for a full cage to be welded in

To help vision where i want this build to end I mocked up a few renders. i dont think I will go black with the color, still trying to decide on color, something that was originally a bmw color or a 70s porsche, or audi color may work too

So here is my build thread I figured I could start one officially to show my progress now that I am full into it, also make sure to check out my Instagram @semaj4712 for more pictures of everything up to now
    Last edited by semaj4712; 03-21-2015, 06:16 PM.

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo Build Thread // INSTAGRAM
    Gewerkschaft der Polizei Sticker/Clings For Sale $8

Fucking awesome bro, keep at it. ☝👍👍👍👍👍👍
    @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

awesome projects you have there. looking forward to more updates.

The Build:
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191125

Comment

That engine is looking pretty with all the painted parts.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

fucking sub'd :)

Comment

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
            fucking sub'd :)
            This. Project I'm Dieing to do...

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
            1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
            Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
            Mtech 2 turbo restoration
            Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Wow, this is going to be great!!

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Yes please.
                Lorin

Originally posted by slammin.e28
                The M30 is God's engine.

Comment

Was really hoping to get the trans tunnel pumped out today but as it turns out a buddy needed help on his car, then I got hungry and one thing led to another and I really only got about 2 hours into it before I had to go to work

But I was able to get about a third of the trans tunnel tacked into place, I am going to be carpeting the whole interior even tho it is essentially a trackable streetcar, I want the look to be that if bmw built a 2002 track/street legal car, they prolly would have put carpet in it, so that will hide some of the angles that would rather be curved

What really sucks is now with friends and family visiting and a wedding in vegas next weekend it prolly wont be until April that ill be able to get any more serious work done, but hopefully ill get a few hours in here and there

29 Model A // 55 GMC 100 // 66 C10 // 72 BMW 2002 2.7 M20 Turbo // 75 CB500T Custom // 04 BMW M3 // 13 BMW 328i Sport

Comment

My god this is an awesome build!! I wish you the best of luck but it seems like you won't need it.
                    sigpic Build Thread - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=345799 -

Comment

Is your engine a "2.7i" or just a super ETA?
                      -Mattio523

1976 BMW 2002

Comment

:D
                        the 2002 build threads on this e30 forum are multiplying like rabbits!

Comment

Originally posted by mattio523 View Post

It was a super eta, but I am not running a I head so 2.7i

Comment

Originally posted by mattio523 View Post
                            Originally posted by semaj4712 View Post
                            It was a super eta, but I am not running a I head so 2.7i
                            The pistons in the pic of the block show it's a 2.7eta bottom end - also note the oil filter adapter (no oil cooler attachment), the seta and 2.5 use the same 885 head casting, different cam and valve springs. The seta has the piston dome like a 2.5, but in the longer stroke. If you are using the 200 casting head, then it's a complete eta motor.
                            john@m20guru.com
                            Links:
                            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Wicked Jelly! I can't wait to see your progress.

Comment

Working...
                              X