Total Respray Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Total Respray Question

I am having my 1986 325e completely repainted and want to do it as "right" as possible which means the front windshield and rear glass will be removed from the car.

Here is my question, do I need to make the assumption that the 30+ year old window seals will not be worth saving and should budget for new OEM BMW ones? Just wondering how hard these will be after 30 years. Anyone been successful at removing and reusing them and not experience any leaks afterwards?
    1986 E30 325E
    1989 E30 325iX
    2003 E54 X5.
    1993 Mercedes W124 300E
    1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
    2009 VW Touareg
    2007 Porsche Cayman S

Well I'm having a respray right now. The front seal on mine (convertible) looked hard and cracked, but the window guy said I could reuse it if I wanted. However I opted for a new seal. I didn't want to reuse it for aesthetic reasons mainly, but I was also concerned that it could leak after being reused. Of course I only had to worry about one since it's a convertible, so about half the price of replacing front and back.
    Thank god, R3V was getting boring since the ginger kid wrecked his car. - Stonea

Comment

If you're going through the effort of a respray, I would replace the seals.

Comment

Originally posted by earthwormjim View Post
        If you're going through the effort of a respray, I would replace the seals.
        +1

Better to do it now then have to do a little later and it will look much cleaner.
        sigpic
        Strategic Alpine Command

Comment

I´m having the car repainted soon and opted to replace both front and rear seals.
          After 25+ years of weathering the elements those seals aren´t sealing as well as they should be.
          New seals are pricey but worth it if you want to avoid future leaks or rust forming.
          My new E34 525i Sport Limousine Blog
          http://bmw525isportlimousine.blogspot.com.es/

Comment

I have a few other bits to attend to before I consider the paint, but I'm curious how much a total respray costs?

Comment

I was quoted $2800.00 by my local shop. And that is with me stripping off all the lights, bumpers, mirrors, grill, trim, etc...

The shop uses DuPont (now Exalta) paint, I will have to ask what level of paint. The owner said the hood that has the worst clear coat delamination will have to be taken down to bare metal.

Once painted this price includes color sanding and buffing.
              1986 E30 325E
              1989 E30 325iX
              2003 E54 X5.
              1993 Mercedes W124 300E
              1995 Mercedes W124 E320.
              2009 VW Touareg
              2007 Porsche Cayman S

Comment

Your car had clear coat? Was it a metallic paint? Non-metallic paints were single stage from the factory. Could explain the clear coat delamination, someone clear coated it at some later stage.

Comment

Working...
                X