G20 Reveal... pretty quiet on R3v

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victell View Post
    Our beloved e30 tailights looked like b13 Sentra, fox-body Mustang and many other tailights of its day.
    To some degree, yes, but the E30 also came way before the B13 Sentra.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
      I disagree, good sir

sure, I can see they might, to a certain degree, but not like the comparison I just made
      Nah, he's right. Every time I watch an old 80's-90's movie I'll think I've spotted an e30, only to realize it's just the taillight of something else.

Frankly I hope the g20 flops.
      My Feedback

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
        They will still sell a bazillion of them no matter what they look like, so bmw still gets their moneys. I don't see why everyone expects BMW to cater for the "enthusiasts", bmw is in the business of selling cars, so they cater to those with the money.

Guy at work has an M140i little hatch back thing, gawd that thing looks awesome. brakes the size of my wheels. Screw the 3 series, the 1 and 2 series is where its at these days for "enthusiasts".
        Will they?

Tesla sold more model 3's in the last quarter than BMW sold of every car they make combined. The 3 series is one of the most traded in car for a Tesla. All car sales are dropping like rocks across the industry (specifically, ICE based car sales), BMW was basically flat which wasn't bad but they aren't growing. The only thing holding steady are CUVs and SUVs, but they'll have their day in court too.

I argued it in the other thread, they are in trouble if this is what they keep coming up with. What's the future of BMW? They're going to save the world with a gigantic 7 series SUV? They aren't even a player in electrification. The i8 is damn cool looking but sales wise it's a joke.

If you wan't a BMW that you can actually drive, like with your hands and feet, it doesn't exist anymore. I can play with flappy paddles and let the computer do the rest for me on a Playstation.
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I am one of those people who isn't completely against newer BMW's it just depends on which ones. Someone else mentioned in the thread the M2 competition is a pretty awesome car, I would say closest to the E30 if you are thinking legacy. The 6 is a great car as well, is it softer yea but its still a fun GT.

That being said I do not like the G20 one bit, even if it drives well, from the rear its possibly one of the worst BMW designs to come out in a long, I would mistake it for a Lexus IS all day.

Not that there is anything wrong with Japanese design I like some of them, but a BMW should look German (whatever that is).
          Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            Will they?

Tesla sold more model 3's in the last quarter than BMW sold of every car they make combined. The 3 series is one of the most traded in car for a Tesla. All car sales are dropping like rocks across the industry (specifically, ICE based car sales), BMW was basically flat which wasn't bad but they aren't growing. The only thing holding steady are CUVs and SUVs, but they'll have their day in court too.

I argued it in the other thread, they are in trouble if this is what they keep coming up with. What's the future of BMW? They're going to save the world with a gigantic 7 series SUV? They aren't even a player in electrification. The i8 is damn cool looking but sales wise it's a joke.

If you wan't a BMW that you can actually drive, like with your hands and feet, it doesn't exist anymore. I can play with flappy paddles and let the computer do the rest for me on a Playstation.
            Well fair enough i suppose. I just checked the Ausi sales and BMW have dropped here too, not as bad as Audi though! I don't think we have many model 3's down here yet.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
              Will they? Tesla sold more model 3's in the last quarter than BMW sold of every car they make combined. The 3 series is one of the most traded in car for a Tesla. A]

They aren't even a player in electrification. The i8 is damn cool looking but sales wise it's a joke.
              You're only looking at US figures though... the Europeans won't be blown away by Tesla over the longer term, Tesla has a backlog of 400,000 Model 3 orders so sales will be initially high as production ramps up, but then taper off.

BMW has delivered 250,000 i3, i8 and Mini-Es world wide already - they will sell over 140,000 this year, so they're hardly not in the game. If you add in their Plug-in Hybrids, then its higher again & they have just bought out Brilliant in China - BWM EV sales in China are up by 7x this year.

In Australia Tesla has thus far delivered exactly 2 Model 3s, and they are LHD so can't be driven on the road...

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of Tesla. They built the biggest battery in the world in my state to sure up the base load capacity of our energy grid for renewables - it basically works like a giant capacitor, and irons out power fluctuations in the grid. On the live tracker today my state is currently running on 57% solar and wind power, the remainder topped up by gas turbines so the results speak for themselves. So much for brown outs once you hit 30% renewables? Every time there's an outage the mainstream media rant about how unreliable the power supply is, but the reality on the ground is it's more reliable now than when we were 100% coal powered.

Power is expensive, but also is likely to taper off in price by 2020 as the bulk of the infrastructure is now in place, and we will get a 500MW solar thermal plant online by then to take over from the gas turbines for the remaining base load, the gas will be used for emergency top up / stabilisation of the grid. That'll push us over 70% renewable energy by 2020/21.
              Last edited by lukeADE335i; 10-22-2018, 11:34 PM.
              My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

The last bmw I will ever own is an e46.

I’ve had
                2008 328i stock
                2011 335i FBO
                2013 135i stock
                2013 X1 xdrive35i stock
                2004 e46 zhp
                1987 325is

My favorite cars are the zhp and e30. Sure the 35s were fast and what not but they still lack drivers feel. I remember I would wake up in the morning to go to work worried that a light will turn on my 35s even though they were still under warranty. Sometimes I would do a hard pull and it’ll go on limp mode. My 135i I did the launch one time and the charge pipe blew to pieces scared the shit out of me. My zhp is reliable and sporty and if a light comes on I don’t worry that it might be the turbos or something serious as the 35s. Just my thought. You can’t buy a used 35s and expect reliability. You can buy a 150,000 mile e30, e36, e46 and get reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by lukeADE335i View Post
                  You're only looking at US figures though... the Europeans won't be blown away by Tesla over the longer term, Tesla has a backlog of 400,000 Model 3 orders so sales will be initially high as production ramps up, but then taper off.

BMW has delivered 250,000 i3, i8 and Mini-Es world wide already - they will sell over 140,000 this year, so they're hardly not in the game. If you add in their Plug-in Hybrids, then its higher again & they have just bought out Brilliant in China - BWM EV sales in China are up by 7x this year.

In Australia Tesla has thus far delivered exactly 2 Model 3s, and they are LHD so can't be driven on the road...

Don't get me wrong - I'm a fan of Tesla. They built the biggest battery in the world in my state to sure up the base load capacity of our energy grid for renewables - it basically works like a giant capacitor, and irons out power fluctuations in the grid. On the live tracker today my state is currently running on 57% solar and wind power, the remainder topped up by gas turbines so the results speak for themselves. So much for brown outs once you hit 30% renewables? Every time there's an outage the mainstream media rant about how unreliable the power supply is, but the reality on the ground is it's more reliable now than when we were 100% coal powered.

Power is expensive, but also is likely to taper off in price by 2020 as the bulk of the infrastructure is now in place, and we will get a 500MW solar thermal plant online by then to take over from the gas turbines for the remaining base load, the gas will be used for emergency top up / stabilisation of the grid. That'll push us over 70% renewable energy by 2020/21.
                  well, we will see. They don't have enough capacity to sell much in Europe yet, but I'll bet the demand is there. The problem for BMW is they don't have anything comparable to sell. They're too focused on gigantic turbo AWD slushboxes and crap like the X7. They'll make money on it, but that has to be a small market..

When's the last time you were excited about a new BMW? For me, it has to be way back to the E46 M3, and to a lesser extent, the E9x. Everything else has been.. meh. I love my '06 330i, but it has 3 pedals, an N/A inline-6, and no idrive - which you literally cannot buy anywhere anymore.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Is it just me, or is the X7 just an attempt to steal buyers away from the XC90?
                    ...at least in terms of interior and exterior
                    If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Damn, that's an ugly motherfucker. It looks like it has bucked teeth.

Comment

The new naming conventions have me lost, but they did that with the introduction of the 4 series.

However there is a dirty part of me that really enjoys the way the new bmws drive, my daily is a Renault Clio rs200 cup it’s raw & feels like the e30(is actually harsher on the road), my better half has an m135i it feels planted & big for a hatch back that only a negligible amount bigger than the Clio & with a n55b30 in a rwd hatch it’s a hoot to drive.

But I digress, the g20 is like most new 3 series it’s 12ft of car that will be forgotten in 4yrs when the next a,b,c,d,l,t series comes out

Comment

Not surprised on the M135i Anthony - they're pretty popular as a daily / part-time track car down here in a manual. Unfortunately our US friends missed out on the 1 series.

rturbo: Yes - the X7 has to have one of the ugliest BMW grilles ever put into production... when did BMW decide they needed to take on the Escalade?

nando: agreed on the e46 / e92. After that they just got too big. Time will tell on Tesla - personally I hope they go from strength to strength, but still think the cars may get crushed by the major manufacturers once they get serious about EVs. Not necessarily a problem for Tesla, they'll just morph into a battery manufacturer and supply the other manufacturers.
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                            Is it just me, or is the X7 just an attempt to steal buyers away from the XC90?
                            ...at least in terms of interior and exterior
                            Its way bigger then the XC90, its attempts to steal away from the Escalade and new Navigator (which is pretty nice for what it is) and also the Range Rover and GLS.

XC90 is X5 territory.
                            Euro Delivery Thread///E30 Project Klaus///COTM August 2021

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post

Damn, that's an ugly motherfucker. It looks like it has bucked teeth.
                              There is this meme that has been going on about the styling of cars for a few years, where a guy will take a picture of a car, stretch the grille out, make the sides taller and the windows smaller, and enlarge the wheels, and say it is the next generation of that car. I don't have it saved, but I saw someone do that to some current gen BMW a while back and it looked almost exactly like this disgusting piece of crap, just had smaller windows. Modern car designers seem to have little concept of aesthetics, it's like they're following a formula. Make the grilles bigger, the headlights wider and angrier, and the car itself more slab sided and imposing, generation after generation.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              [CoTM: 4-18]
                              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
                              - updated 1-26

Comment

Originally posted by Blackout View Post
                                ......and lastly we have enough fake people who will make great fake drivers.
                                Could not be more true!

Comment

Working...
                                X