My 325IX winter Restoration (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My 325IX winter Restoration (pic heavy)

Well for a little back ground i bought the car last summer to be my winter beater pretty much. I got it for 1800 hundred bucks and about 400 miles away form home It had been sitting for 3 years but owner said he started it occasionally. I understood it had quarter size hole of rust in both fenders and a little surface rust on the trunk. When i got the car home i started looking close and found both foot wells were gone as well as the bottoms of the fenders. The tunnel also had one large hole on the passenger side and both rear trunk quarters were gone. So that was my first project to get he car road legal for the winter.

-picking the car up

- one dirty ass engine bay :(

- passenger floor

-one side patched :p

I also did the w/p and timing belt and all that good stuff and after i did that i never could get the air out of the cooling system. At a stop sing the car would lose the hot air for the cabin and the temp would rise unless i held the rmp to 1k than it would stay cool and give my heat inside. i did this for like 3 month haha :D But it started getting worse and building air pockets and over heating while driving to i knew it was time for the head gasket to be done.
    Tore it all apart Friday and had it together for Monday. and with the extensive cleaning

-Christmas time in summer

-cleaner engine bay

This was were i ended last year

Even though this car has given my soooo much trouble and so many headaches and still some how i love it and want to finish it.

As of right now the car is running better than ever, it has never idled and still has a bad hesitation but besides that the motor pulls very hard and i even manege around 24mpg with 3.91's.

So these are the winter plans.

*fix remaining rust
    *fix my wet floor problem (Probably sun roof drains )
    *rhino-line the floor, truck, and all patches
    *fix all dents
    *repaint :D (most important part)
    *replace strut top hats and and shock mounts
    *front and rear sway bar links
    *all four springs with h&r's
    *rear sub-frame bushings and a-arm bushings
    * braided steal brake lines
    *clutch master cylinder, slave cylinder, and braided steal line
    *replace rear cv boots
    *possibly do all wheel bearings just for the hell of it.

That's all i can think of for now but i know more will come up.

And as it sits now

time to start the project

- two small rust spots on wheel arch

- i put one coat of primer on just to stop it from rusting until i get to the body filler step.
    Last edited by nomansland92; 01-16-2013, 06:44 PM.
    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

What are you using as a media and how big of a mess does it make? I have a Snapon handheld blaster that I got for free, I want to try it out. I think the resevoir is a little bigger than that one but it looks pretty basic. Looking good so far man, I need to tackle some rust.

Comment

Very cool, I'll be looking for updates on this one.
      91 318is M50 swapped
      05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

Originally posted by DREWHALL View Post
        What are you using as a media and how big of a mess does it make? I have a Snapon handheld blaster that I got for free, I want to try it out. I think the resevoir is a little bigger than that one but it looks pretty basic. Looking good so far man, I need to tackle some rust.
        Its just some sand blasting sand i got from my friend for free but sure on the actual type. its actually not as messy as i thought it would be. But you definitely want a full face shield when using it haha. But it really comes in handy were you can't get a grinder and its surprisingly quick

-old sunroof which some how never leaked a drop

-new sun roof panel
        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

looks 10 times better than when you got it! It is really coming along!
          318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
          '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

Well i haven't had to much time this week but i did manage to get a little bit done.

2 small holes on the passenger side in front of the rear wheel

rust cut out.

patch

needs a little more grinding.

another stop primed

under drive side skirts

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

nice work on patching it up.

-
              Project
              Parts for Sale
              Feedback
              YouTube Channel

Comment

moar pix of how she sits now plz!
                www.instagram.com/snwmble
                #snwmble

Current:
                '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Originally posted by nomansland92 View Post
                  under drive side skirts
                  I'm afraid to look under my ix's skirts (insert pun) lol.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by audiquattrot View Post
                    moar pix of how she sits now plz!
                    you mean as it sits torn apart in the garage or before?

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

been awhile since I've posted some updates. I've mostly only had time to work on it during the weekends so its been a going pretty slow so far.

still needs a lot more work done here^

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Looks like its going well so far!

Go here be happy!

Ratchet Garage e30 V8 build.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyyisntt View Post
                          I'm afraid to look under my ix's skirts (insert pun) lol.
                          that makes two of us, my driver side skirt is starting to lift off, I'm hoping it's just the mount but if not... ehh..

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

now here's were it starts going a little bad. And a good demonstration to male sure your battery doesn't leak acid.

this is what i found after a little time with a hammer

So after searching for awhile i haven't had much luck finding a used rear valence that someone is wiling to cut up for me cause as you can see i could really use this whole corner. But i figured ill pick a hole and start patching one by one.

two spots done :p

I'm not sure what i want to do with this one yet. I looking into taking the hoses out and it doesn't seam like that's going to be an option because they look very difficult to put in with the tank installed.

I've thought of making a nice fiber glass patch inside and out and just sealing it up very good but i really don't want to have to do that.
                            If you got any suggestions let me know what you thinking.

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Got some more work done this weekend.

Passenger rocker

Stripped all the sound proofing out

Wow that stuff is so heavy!

Cleaned up the exhaust a little :D

all sealed and primed, ready for paint and undercoating

mounts for expansion tank in the wheel well

above exhaust on the valance

Still trying to get the battery tray section so i moved to the driver side valance

IX being restored here

Ix turbo build here

Comment

Working...
                              X