No announcement yet.

Project Overly Ambitious

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Christmas spending and a new furnace for the house has put an indefinite hold on this project. I have stuff I can do without having to purchase parts so that will likely be happening soon. I need to finish cleaning the bay so that I can respray it- then I think the motor will go back in so that I can continue on the wiring.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
    Transaction feedback
    - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
      Christmas spending and a new furnace for the house has put an indefinite hold on this project. I have stuff I can do without having to purchase parts so that will likely be happening soon. I need to finish cleaning the bay so that I can respray it- then I think the motor will go back in so that I can continue on the wiring.
      That shit ain't cheap! Good luck.
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Engine bay resprayed. I went to a local auto body supply store and had them make me a spray can of Alpine White II. I prepped the engine bay by scuffing it up and degreasing it, I wasn't going for a show car quality respray. I didn't spray the firewall as it will likely get covered in DEI gold foil. It's super nice not having to look at all the cosmoline anymore, I worked for years to get rid of as much as possible but this is way better!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
        Transaction feedback
        - jpod999

Comment

Motor went back in last night. It took me about an hour working by myself, it's nice not having a core support in the way. I am going to work on the wiring until my finances are looking better.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
          Transaction feedback
          - jpod999

Comment

Small update: Back when I was refreshing the motor I decided to use the stock fuel rail, this was the wrong decision. The OBDII fuel rail has hard feed and return lines that go over towards the drivers side of the car that totally interfere with the OBDI drivers side harness pack. I thought about chopping the coil pack down but ended up picking up an OBDI fuel rail at the junkyard this weekend. I also picked up an oil level sensor from the same car I got the fuel rail from, I had to do this as the M62 sensor has a different connector- luckily the M60 version bolts right into the M62 oil pan! Thanks for the help Zac!

There are a few things I am still trying to figure out in regards to wiring. First, the alternator connector on the OBDI harness has one wire going to a single pin- the OBDII version has two pins. Since I am using the M62 alternator, can I just wire up the one pin in the connector and hook it up to the alternator?

Work goes on!
            Last edited by jpod999; 02-09-2017, 02:41 PM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
            Transaction feedback
            - jpod999

Comment

Any new pictures

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by htseng View Post
                Any new pictures

Sure! Not much more to look at besides the wiring in progress but it's been a while since I posted a picture and that's boring, so why not?

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

Last night I was able to modify the harness to get the small black/green starter wire into pin 15 on the engine side of the X20. Next up- weed out the secondary air pump wiring.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                  Transaction feedback
                  - jpod999

Comment

looking good! that respray really cleans the engine bay up
                    '87 BMW 325i - ground control c/o, condor bushings, 16x8/16x9 wheels - SOLD

'09 MazdaSpeed 3 - FOR SALE

Comment

Yesterday was my birthday, so naturally I took the day off to spend with the wife. I also took today off to spend with the car.

Here is what I was able to accomplish:
                      -I was able to wire in the alternator. Spliced the signal wire from the alternator into the signal wire of the harness and supplied fused 12v to the other pin on the back of the OBDII alternator.
                      -Cut out ebox fan wiring and connectors
                      -Determined which connector is reverse switch. The two pin connector runs from the transmission to the ABS 18 pin connector. I believe what needs to happen is that the wires need to be cut free of the 18 pin connector and spliced into the E30 body harness. Does this sound correct?
                      -I found a connector that comes out of the front of the passenger side harness pack that is shielded and goes back to a white four pin connector (three are used). I can't for the life of me figure out what this is. Any guesses? The wires inside are black, yellow, and brown (brown connects to the shield).

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

So I think that I may have figured out what the mystery connector is, I spent a bunch of time looking through the ETM and this is the only thing I have come up with. Here is the connector:

Engine side

Ebox side

And here's the ETM page

I think that this connector goes from the Electronic Transmission Engine Speed Sensor through the black connector "X8516" and then through the white connector that then goes into the EGS (auto transmission computer). Since my harness came from a 95 540i/6, I think that this was probably never used and that I can cut it out of my harness. Am I just going crazy?
                        Last edited by jpod999; 02-26-2017, 11:38 AM.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                        Transaction feedback
                        - jpod999

Comment

Ugh. Looking at this again I realize that the white connector isn't shown in that ETM page. Maybe I'll just leave it in lol.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                          Transaction feedback
                          - jpod999

Comment

Great thread. You are going to love the car when it's done. Also, not sure why nobody else mentioned it, but what a cool wife!
                            1991 349is (wadded up)
                            1984 Rabbit 2.0L16v swap (wife's)
                            2003 LR Disco II (wife's)
                            1993 MB 400SEL (son 1's)
                            1980 MB 450SEL (son 2's)
                            2004 KTM 525 EXC-R SM Sold:(

Comment

that respray is gorgeous
                              e30Ls1 Swap IG: 1dirty30

Comment

Originally posted by Pipes View Post
                                Great thread. You are going to love the car when it's done. Also, not sure why nobody else mentioned it, but what a cool wife!
                                Thank you! She really is awesome- from your sig it looks like you found a good one too ;)

Originally posted by Reyhan335 View Post
                                that respray is gorgeous
                                Thanks, hopefully I can keep it clean while the work continues!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                                Transaction feedback
                                - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                                X