No announcement yet.

Answers to Common Sunroof Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my sun roof only slides back and closes properly .
    but when i try to tilt it up , it makes a snap/crack sound and doesn't tilt.
    anyone know what the problem is ?

Comment

does the entire panel not tilt up or just the headliner portion doesn't?

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
        does the entire panel not tilt up or just the headliner portion doesn't?

The entire panel including headliner.

Comment

I don't know if this is too OT or not. But i need to replace a gear in my electric sunroof motor. It is the gear that meshes with the worm drive of the motor (don't know how many of you might have been in one).

Markings:

mast 1 483.090

haven't tried to dealer it, don't get to them very often. do they even carry 30 parts anymore?
          Attached Files
          Been with me for 16 years...
          sigpic
          Wish i had more time to play with her

Comment

That gear isn't sold separately, so just replace the motor. Check the classifieds section--I found a good motor for $40 last year.

Make sure you synch the motor with the sunroof when you install.

Comment

Originally posted by TrentW View Post
              That gear isn't sold separately, so just replace the motor. Check the classifieds section--I found a good motor for $40 last year.

Make sure you synch the motor with the sunroof when you install.
              thanks, i read all about syncing it and what not. just hoped since everything else worked maybe i could just get the gear. One of the few things i dont want to live without anymore, my sunroof!!!
              Been with me for 16 years...
              sigpic
              Wish i had more time to play with her

Comment

my car's PO removed everything from the sunroof besides the sunroof itself and the tracks.

it's held in place with an appropriately sized magnet to keep it level with the roof, or as a brace on top of the roof to keep it 'popped' or just remove the magnet, and slide the roof back.

it's very simple, and takes that pound or 2 off of the highest point of the car.

the only downsides are that sometimes if driving into a headwind on the freeway, it will generate enough aerodynamic lift to lift it up a little bit (a stronger magnet could fix this). if the roof is opened (back, inside the roof) it can close itself under heavy braking (also might be fixable with a stronger magnet). and sometimes it can be hard to pull it back out of the roof if it goes too far back (fixable with heavy braking)

I could take cell pics if anyone wants them.

Comment

Mine closes fine when parked and at low speed, but at highway speeds the air deflector seems to get stuck up too high. any ideas?

Also, it seems to tilt open easier on warm days/on the highway than when its chilly/parked. any thoughts on that? (i usually just push the back up to help it.)
                  sigpic
                  1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                  1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                  1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Originally posted by McGyver View Post
                    Mine closes fine when parked and at low speed, but at highway speeds the air deflector seems to get stuck up too high. any ideas?

Also, it seems to tilt open easier on warm days/on the highway than when its chilly/parked. any thoughts on that? (i usually just push the back up to help it.)
                    You might not have enough lubrication. Check to see if everything is tightened down appropriately.

Comment

read over everything and not too sure still, I need to get the cover on the bottom of the sunroof off, its sagging badly and i want to reupholster it. is there any way to do it without taking the actual top panel off? its no bigge if I gotta take everything out, but I'm stuck outdoors and its rainy.

Comment

My sunroof is completely jammed. It won't open at all or push down. Does anyone know how I can get at it. Do I have to remove my headliner? It's a manual.
                        JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Sunroof has a harder time tilting on hot days than cold days. Do i just need to lube? It wont fully tilt without assistance.

Comment

you guys need to state if you have a manual or powered sunroof. because each uses a different cabling system.

Comment

My sunroof gets caught on #8 of the second diagram in the OP when closing from full open, not sure why it happens.
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Cloudbase View Post
                                My sunroof is completely jammed. It won't open at all or push down. Does anyone know how I can get at it. Do I have to remove my headliner? It's a manual.
                                I have the same sunroof / symptoms except that my sunroof handle turns freely in either direction. It is also a manual.

Alpine II 318is

Comment

Working...
                                X