No announcement yet.

E34 540i valley pan gasket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ended up doing the valley pan on mine a couple weeks ago. Bear of a job but doable without any special skills. What I learned:
    1) all my valley pan bolts were f*d so make sure you have a whole new set when you dive in.
    2) the newest version of the pcv had an extra fitting than my 530, so I had to plug it with hose, clamps, and an appropriate sized bolt.
    3) I wanted to leave the injectors attached to the fuel rail to not deal with draining/depressurizing gas but they were so stuck in the manifold that they popped out fron the rail when tugging on them, so I had to do it anyways, and clean up the spillage.
    4)the plastic wire cover on the battery crossover cable disintegrated a bit every time I touched it, so be careful so you don't get bits in you coolant or intake ports
    5) I cut the engine harness cables running down to the alternator and re spliced them back together without any trouble.

Comment

Thanks for the update.

On your alternator cable splice: did you just want to extend the harness?
      Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
      Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
      Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Originally posted by marshallnoise View Post
        Thanks for the update.

On your alternator cable splice: did you just want to extend the harness?
        You have to get the harness out of the way to do all the work
        The proper way to do that is get under the car and disconnect that end of the harness from some sensors and the alternator. I've done that before and it's a pain in the ass on the v8 cars so cutting and reconnecting the wires up top is way easier. When I reconnected them I used some pin connectors so next time I just have to cut the tape/shrink wrap to unhook them.

Comment

heres a little pictorial guide:

Comment

thanks for the pics. it helps alot
            sigpic
            323i MTEC1
            Z3 coupe
            E60 M5

Comment

Nice pics and write up straight6pwr.
              +1 on the new valley pan bolts. They always come out horribly.

Since I've done the valley pan gasket with "The Right Stuff" I haven't had any more leaks from the valley pan. I've had another problem tho happen just last week. My water pump seized and snapped my belt. I've replaced the belt, pulley, and pump. With new OEM gaskets and new bolts. Anyone experience the water pump leaking after replacing it? Have a slow water leak dripping from the bottom of the water pump
              sigpic

Comment

I'm 50% sure my engine doesn't have that crossover cable. How suspect is this? Engine came out of a 97 540i/6.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                Transaction feedback
                - jpod999

Comment

Originally posted by jpod999 View Post
                  I'm 50% sure my engine doesn't have that crossover cable. How suspect is this? Engine came out of a 97 540i/6.

Do you have an M62 or M60? If it's a 97 I think it's a M62 which is the updated M60. May be different
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gaode View Post
                    Do you have an M62 or M60? If it's a 97 I think it's a M62 which is the updated M60. May be different
                    The m60 has the cable. It goes from the alternator to the starter. I don't recall seeing that on the m62 car I yanked my motor out of.
                    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                    Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                    Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

M62. I'm just glad that I'm not losing my mind. Thanks!

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                      X