lost key and locked steering column...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lost key and locked steering column...

Hey everyone. Hoping for some help and some suggestions.

I am in the process of moving and left my project car as the last thing to move. Somehow I lost my only key between yesterday and today...The steering column is locked and I need to get the car out of the house I was renting in the next week...

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to unlock the steering column? I think I can figure out how to Hotwire the car myself, but I'm really not sure what to do about the steering column without breaking too many things.

Bring your title to dealer....super old commonly asked question. keys are still available from dealer. PS has to be in your name...
    https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

don't have the title in my name yet, hence "project"...Not sure if its worth paying to title yet. I have never heard of a dealer being able to get you a key though...

Either way, is there a way to remove the steering column lock?

Comment

OP's prolly trina steal e30
        If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

How much is it to title the car? $50 bucks? a basic key is $38 bucks vs screwing up the oem set up. Otherwise there is google.
          https://www.facebook.com/BentOverRacing

Comment

its going to cost me more to title the car then $50...Regardless, I need the car out of my old garage in a week. I have a big boy job, can't really play around during the week days and I get one day off this week which happens to be the day the dmv is close. Thanks for the help though.

Comment

You have only two options, get a key from the dealer or destroy the steering column to get it unlocked. People used to do this at the junkyard to get the steering wheel. Search google for the directions.

Comment

Look up "Bump Key" no idea if it will work on a car, but it works on other types of lock
                WTB:m60b40 in PNW
                Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                92 525it 5 speed.
                80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

If you can remove the wheel, on the top of the column is the release lock for the steering. All you have to do is press it down. Its a little square piece.

My cheap hub has enough spacing that I can reach between the plastic and the hub and press the switch to turn my wheel.

https://goo.gl/images/fyHXf1 links not adding.. Sorry!

This is what you're looking for, if you don't care to remove the wheel. It could be somewhat of a PITA.
                  20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

You can't remove the wheel without the key. The steering wheel lock prevents you from removing the wheel.

FYI, most states have laws requiring you to transfer the title of a car into your name within a certain amount of time. To not do so is a bad move on your part. You don't technically own the car until you do, so the previous owner could report it stolen and you will get arrested. Or you could do something illegal with it and the previous owner gets the blame. Either way, not cool.

Comment

The dealer will do new keys with registration and a drivers license. Doesn't need to be a title. Not useful for OP, but might be useful to know for some people in states that don't title old cars.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                        You can't remove the wheel without the key. The steering wheel lock prevents you from removing the wheel.

FYI, most states have laws requiring you to transfer the title of a car into your name within a certain amount of time. To not do so is a bad move on your part. You don't technically own the car until you do, so the previous owner could report it stolen and you will get arrested. Or you could do something illegal with it and the previous owner gets the blame. Either way, not cool.
                        Didn't remember that!

To the other part... I agree! Bad recipe.
                        20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

Originally posted by M-technik-3 View Post
                          How much is it to title the car? $50 bucks? a basic key is $38 bucks vs screwing up the oem set up. Otherwise there is google.
                          Would anyone know if the dealers will accept the DMV receipt thing for transfer? I don't have the title yet since I need to smog first.

Comment

I also jammed the lock mechanism in the door, what to do?

Comment

Working...
                            X