No announcement yet.

My 1988 e30 325ix - Garage'd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

great progress! and congrats on the new baby :-)
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Originally posted by bradnic View Post
      great progress! and congrats on the new baby :-)

Thanks! She's delightful.

Here is a fun picture. I forgot to add it. I was going to say something clever like "she said yes! ...to no power steering..."

Comment

Alright so after removing the power steering my car ran alright, but i'm assuming that in the process of pulling it all out I must have caused a crack in the vacuum hose to surface or crack a little more, whatever.

I had been dealing with this vacuum leak that made my car run terribly. It would bog down on startup, idle really high and in some cases when i would put the pedal down to pass on the freeway or something the car would completely die or cut out and then come back, but with the check engine light on.

I have dealt with vacuum leaks in my Audi for a really long time and i learned from those experiences it just easier to replace all the lines. So I did pretty much that.

I replaced the ICV, the elbow off of that, the hose off the valve cover to the TB, all the brake booster hoses, the gasket from on the back of the intake manifold which is also connected to the FPR, which I replaced all that hose as well.

So with that being said, last night and this morning I finally feel like the car is running well again. The only thing being a slightly higher idle than i would like (around 800-850) and i'm assuming it is connected to the valve cover some how.

Just ordered a coolant temp sensor and a coolant level sensor too. mine have been on the fritz.

Comment

My 1988 e30 325ix - Manual

Ok so car is running well, but after I've been driving it for a while it's idling at 900 but when I initially start it, it's around 700-750 (perfect). Maybe this is an old throttle body cable? I think maybe it's sticking at one point, but I don't know.

Regardless of the idling issue the car is still running great everywhere else.

Some pictures after our drive.

Note the lip looks jacked. It is getting a repaint soon and I started sanding it down.

Comment

My 1988 e30 325ix - Manual

I've been riddled with terrible gas mileage lately. I asked everyone about it. I was instructed that a new FPR would help my mileage so I went ahead and bought one.

It is so nice and new looking. I went ahead and installed it. Unplugged the relays, ran it, then unplugged the battery since I was dealing with fuel.

Here is the old guy...

And here is the new one. It's so pretty.
            After install noticed a few changes. My gas pedal feels much better. When I let off the gas pedal I don't get the deep heavy exhaust I used to. It's more smooth feeling all around.

Here is the kicker though.

After all this time looking for the issue I decided (after reading a thread) to check and see if my odometer was measuring distance correctly. I made a drive.

This drive. As you can see its 87 miles. My car showed on the trip meter it was a 31 mile drive. Check with a mile marker as well. Car registered 4/10 of a mile on one mile marker. There you go, that's my reason for poor MPGs. Sigh... lol

I also went ahead and replaced my coolant level sensor.

Old one looking haggard.
            Ordered a new coolant temp sensor...

Oops, guess I ordered the wrong one...

Getting an actual temp sensor soon.

Car continues to be a blast though. I really have enjoyed working on it and driving it is always fun too.

Comment

Hello,

I have an 88 iX as well, same color and everything.

Anyway, my PS is 200,000+ miles old, leaking from multiple points and I am considering a delete. How has your experience been with no PS in the iX? I have read varying opinions about how it is bad, or not so bad, looking for more.. cheers :drink:

tk
              Current State: '88 iX
              Two Doors, Three Pedals

Comment

Originally posted by tk32 View Post
                Hello,

I have an 88 iX as well, same color and everything.

Anyway, my PS is 200,000+ miles old, leaking from multiple points and I am considering a delete. How has your experience been with no PS in the iX? I have read varying opinions about how it is bad, or not so bad, looking for more.. cheers :drink:

tk

I don't mind it at all. Sometimes when you need to use one hand to steer in a tight spot it gets a little awkward, but my overall opinion after a few months is I really like it. You can feel the road real well too.

Comment

Followed up on the coolant temp sensor. Installed, fixed issue.

Comment

Just read through your thread, all that rust gives me shivers! Props to you for working through it and great to see you giving the iX new life!

Comment

If your old coolant level sender looks like that, you need flush your entire system a few times. That's gross.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

Originally posted by Kershaw View Post
                        If your old coolant level sender looks like that, you need flush your entire system a few times. That's gross.
                        I agree! haha! this weekend is the plan. clean that crap out. I wasn't too surprised when i saw it though, this car was neglected for a decent amount of time before i bought it.

Comment

One day I was tightening the valve cover gasket back on to my car and snapped the m6x1.0 stud off in the head. I ended up having to drill out the old stud completely with a 1/4 drill bit and use a helicoil to get the m6 stud back in working order. The valve cover had been basically a vacuum leak since the stud broke off so getting it fixed was a good feeling.

Hole drilled.

Helicoil inserted. Problem fixed.

Also bought some cerium dioxide for my headlights. They have been a little oxidized since I bought them. This cleaned them up well.

Before

After.

Comment

Fixed some wiring issues today during my lunch hour. I wanted to know what was going on behind the head unit as I was listening to music on only 1 speaker.

Here is the rats nest behind the head unit. It's a mess with a lot of random wires leading all over the place and a bunch of wires connected to nothing. There is some weird antenna wires all over the place as it seems the PO must have only listened to the radio. I don't ever listen to the radio so I yanked the ones I knew I wouldn't need and kept the OE antenna wire tucked inside. I organized a little and plugged in some stuff correctly.

After all this I found out I actually have 6 working speakers. This is wonderful! Car sounds good to be honest. Good use of my hour I think.

Comment

Replaced my horn. Turns out they were broken and I can see why after removing them. Now I have two cheap horns from Oreilly that get the job done.

I also replaced my glovebox latch. It had not been working for like a year. It was basically locked with no way to unlock it. So I looked up what I could break on realoem.com, took a screwdriver and hammer to the old one and got it open without damaging anything else. New latch is the one without the lock integrated into it.

I think it looks good. Hopefully this summer I can do some cosmetic work on the car and maybe suspension (fun stuff finally). Guess we will see.

Comment

Some pictures of the BMW. It was a good Fourth of July weekend. BMW driving like a champ. I do believe my fuel pump rely is bad though as it cuts out every so often. Already replaced my main rely and that helped a little but I think I need to just replace them all.

Comment

Working...
                                X