Z4 non powered steering rack fits e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed in our lemons racer; please excuse the needed for rules dirtyness.

Z4 3.0 steering rack 2007
    Non powered steering.

Z4 coupler must be shortened as spline diameter on z4 rack is too large for e30 original coupler. Chassis side of z4 coupler directly fits e30 steering shaft and original e30 steering column pinch bolt- clearance channel will need to be drilled in the shaft to clear the bolt.

E30 . com rack mount spacers used to bolt to X . member: rest of kit un used so washers could also suffice.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Files
    OBD1 M54/M52TU swap as a M50b25

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

WHere did you get that rack? What is the ratio? Is the e30 an airbag car or no?

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
      WHere did you get that rack? What is the ratio? Is the e30 an airbag car or no?
      Ratio? Im not sure how to tell as bmw used this rack in 2004-2007 z4 cars with electric power steering assis mounted in the column. Lock to lock is 3.0 turns and seems like the angle is pretty good also.

This rack cannot be hydrolic powered: there are no provisions for hydrolic in/out/ assist. It turns very easily with minimal resistance.

The e30 is a 1987 non airbag but there is no difference for airbag or non when mounting the z4 non powered rack. The e30 u joint cannot be used at all as the z4 rack spline imput has a larger diameter standard than e30.

E30 and z4 steering column chassis side is the same spline standard diameter and directly compatible. E36 tie rod ends are also needed as z4 tie rod ends do not fit into e30 knuckles.

Z4 steering shaft connecter with u joints is telescoping on bearings; 2 piece unit much too long for e30 use. Just shorten to the needed length for your setup.

No rubber bushing is good for low profile header clearance in case you want to run a v8 engine

This is Ideal for one wanting to reduce to the minimal for efficiency and light weight racing setup. This car is only fired up to endurance race.

Call your local dismantler if looking for one of these racks they should be pretty common

Euro e46 2005/6 320d 6mt gearbox into E30 with M20 hardy and beck 1985 327s engine

Comment

Maybe I'm stupid but I'm still not getting what you have to do at the upper end (where coupler attaches to steering column) to make this work.

Comment

Guess I know what to upgrade the 316 steering rack to.
          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

www.gecoils.com
          My euro 316 project Transaction Feedback

Comment

Looks promising. Need more photos of coupling modification.
            Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
              Looks promising. Need more photos of coupling modification.
              Shorten to fit :)
              Modifications are very self explanitary just need the z4 u joint/telescoping section. E30 tech spacers used to bolt rack to subframe

Comment

Liking this. Any part number off the rack?

-NICK

Comment

Originally posted by Balleristic31 View Post
                  Liking this. Any part number off the rack?
                  Not sure just some number scribbled on by the dismantler.

2004-2007 z4 non m cars all had electric assisted steering and non powered racks with solid sterring shafts and heavt duty steel u joints to handle the steering column power assist torque. This makes me happy as its more strength and less torque loss for endurance racing and is much easier to have welded than aluminum.

Comment

I am running a z3 rack with no power steering, I think this may be better. The z3 rack was not made to have so much force going through the input shaft.

the reason why I asked if it was and airbag car is because they use a different steering column, which has different splines on the shaft. Guess it may not be possible for airbag cars without custom work
                    Last edited by e304me; 02-28-2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
                      I am running a z3 rack with no power steering, I think this may be better. The z3 rack was not made to have so much force going through the input shaft.

the reason why I asked if it was and airbag car is because they use a different steering column, which has different splines on the shaft. Guess it may not be possible for airbag cars without custom work
                      It needs custom work regardless! I customized the steering shaft to make it work in our race car.

Try it- will probably fit with some combination of oem bmw parts- this z4 shaft just fit on perfect and its a 2006 part; it doesn't care about the E30 being 1985-88 or 1989-1992 :p

Comment

Pretty cool. Thanks for showing pics of the setup.

Originally posted by whysimon
                        WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Interesting. I guess I'll ask you guys how it feels at Infineon, been looking for a cleaner rack upgrade than looping the lines on our stock eta rack :s
                          cars beep boop

Comment

Has lots of angle. Its like a z3 rack but with more total steering angle: kinda like e36 328 vs m3. Needed to use it all the time to pull out of unintended drifts this weekend....

Can see inside of the rims at max angle; will post a photo. The steering feels very direct compared to our super sloppy original beat up wrack

Comment

Any idea if this rack is linear or progressive?

Comment

Working...
                              X