E30 ix differential question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 ix differential question

Hello all, I have a spare ix diff laying around that I got with my car when I bought it but I’m not sure if the splines are good or not. I do not believe they are. Are they worth anything to anyone to be fixed or should I just get what I can for the weight at the junk yard?

Thanks!

ix diff? or transfercase?

either way, I'm sure somebody could use it for parts or mock up. you're going to get like $1 in scrap, lol..
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Post pics.

And he'd probably get THREE DOLLARS in scrap value.
      AWD > RWD

Comment

Hey sorry, it took me awhile to dig it out of the shed. Hopefully the pictures are clear enough I had to shrink them.
        Attached Files

Comment

So you think there's internal damage? ring and pinion?
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I apologize for my lack of knowledge on the diff itself :( when I purchased the ix the previous owner said that the diff had been used for a time without fluid but that it could be refurbished. I am not sure whether or not this is true or not which is why I had considered scrapping it. I can provide any other pictures that might show whether it is damaged beyond repair but I don’t know enough about them to diagnose any problems

Comment

Well you'll have to post a picture of the inside to see that. Take the bottom oil cover off and take a pic of the gears themselves.
              AWD > RWD

Comment

Also, make sure that the ratio for the differential is the same as the rear differential. I believe the manual cars were 3.91 and the auto trans cars were 4.10 if I remember right. But as another member stated make sure you pop a cover off and get us a good picture of those gears!

Comment

Originally posted by jute91 View Post

Per this photo, you can get the pinion carrier out fairly easily and put both gears on the bench for inspection.

Comment

Working...
                  X