Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SNAFU; high performance 318is build that lives up to the name, Turbo M42 ➞ Turbo M20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That spot on the roof is common, and not really the sunroofs fault. E30's came with a stupid plastic slipstream deflector,and they all have problems right there at the corner that always trapped water...

john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

I have a 160* thermostat in my m42 and just because it opens at 160* my cooling system can only keep my car around 180ish. On hot days on track my car idling with just the clutch fan gets up 185-195* I have to put the electric fan on get it to stay around 180* at idle when it is 90*+ outside. After hot lapping the car on limiter though I'll get up to 210-215* and it'll cool back down pretty quick. But at nights if I am driving down the highway I see temps of like 155* because of all the airflow.

I obviously don't have AC like you, but I would try and get some sort of slim pusher fan to put on the AC condenser to get more airflow through that thing when you're at idle. I find my car cools off the fastest with the clutch fan when I drive around track high rpm second gear since it is spinning faster. Also bummer about the roof rust :( I have a few spots on my car that need to be addressed soon as well which sucks.
      -Dee
      5-lugged turbo 318is Barn car
      IG: @deebelmont

Comment

Would you mind sharing your timing map? I'm going be getting my turbo megasquirt going soon and want to make sure it doesnt go boom.
        325IX Build Thread
        RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
          Would you mind sharing your timing map? I'm going be getting my turbo megasquirt going soon and want to make sure it doesnt go boom.
          It's not wise to just share a map like that and expect it to work on another car. Take your NA table and subtract 1° per 10kpa above 100 and you will have a safe base. That will put you in the teens at 200kpa which is low, but safe in both directions. There's a couple of threads here and e30tech where maps are shared, just beware. Some of those maps posted are 10-ish@200kpa which will create a lot of unnecessary heat in the turbine. Also, if you have a different base timing than them in your MS, you could very well go boom...
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

I understand. That gives me a base to start with thanks. At the moment I have nothing except for whatever comes pre-loaded on the mspnp2 ECU. Thanks!
            325IX Build Thread
            RX7 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by ccsdo5 View Post
              but I would try and get some sort of slim pusher fan to put on the AC condenser to get more airflow through that thing when you're at idle.
              No space. See previous posts with pics of the intercooler->condenser->radiator stack. There's about 3/4" in between the intercooler and the condenser and less than 7" between the top of the IC and the frame surrounding the condenser.

Originally posted by driftxsequence View Post
              I'm not in the habit of sharing timing maps because they require a huge disclaimer. Too many variables. It's not hard to make a safe base map yourself as ForcedFirebird described.

IG @turbovarg
              '91 318is, M20 turbo
              [CoTM: 4-18]
              '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
              - updated 3-17

Comment

Went to the second Spectoberfest at Sebring this past weekend, pretty good E30 turnout but mine was the only turbo E30 present this year.

The car next to mine in this picture is another M20 swapped 318is, but it's a slicktop and a completely stripped out track car. I also finally weighed my car. It weighed 2,864lbs with my tools, skateboards and camera gear in it, and that stuff weighs about 130lbs, so my car weighs 2,734lbs unloaded with a little more than a half tank of gas. Add 32lbs for the missing 5 gallons of gas for wet weight of 2,766lbs. I don't think that's half bad for a fully equipped Turbo E30.

IG @turbovarg
                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                - updated 3-17

Comment

Fun times. Some crap in the oil system (turbo feed is from an unfiltered oil gallery whether you use a sandwich plate) clogged the factory installed oil feed filter, so the turbo is trashed. Haven't taken it apart yet but I'm hoping the turbine side seal didn't wreck the center housing.

Luckily I didn't sell my spare 60 trim T3/T4 like I was planning to this summer, so I had a spare. Also, one of my front tires is showing cord on the inside edge, so it's time for new tire$$$. I probably won't be buying ZIIs or ZIIIs this time around, but a cheaper tire with a higher tread wear rating. It's not that my tires didn't last long, they lasted over two years and I put a lot of miles on this car, I just don't do autocross often enough to justify it and can't afford to do track days.
                  Last edited by varg; 06-05-2019, 04:22 PM.

IG @turbovarg
                  '91 318is, M20 turbo
                  - updated 3-17

Comment

You could change your feed to here, it's straight out of the filter

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

That's fancy. Did you just drill/tap or is that something you bought? I'd do it but my oil cooler is in a box somewhere. Simply no place to put it with my massive IC and AC system, or nowhere with air flow anyway. Eventually I'll get some hoses made and put a cooler somewhere, but it's not a priority since the car is solely street driven.

IG @turbovarg
                      '91 318is, M20 turbo
                      - updated 3-17

Comment

Yeah its a hollow bolt, just drilled and tapped then AN adapter, so its easy to put on and remove

T U R B O - M 2 0 - B U I L D

M U S C C O O

Comment

I have a bunch of those factory oil adapter banjo bolts. I was going to drill/tap them for this very reason (and oil pressure senders).
                          john@m20guru.com
                          Links:

Comment

that oil problem makes we want to rethink my oil supply using a sandwich plate
                            318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
                            '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I've downgraded to some mismatched all seasons on stock 14" wheels for the time being, this will get me through my upcoming trip and into winter break or early next year when I plan to get some new tires on my 16s.

I have no traction now. Especially on a wet road where I can't get into boost at all without spinning the tires until 3rd gear. Also, normal everyday cornering speeds with the star specs cause the rear end to feel loose with these.

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                              that oil problem makes we want to rethink my oil supply using a sandwich plate
                              You probably should. I'm going to try to figure out a way to use the stock oil cooler for this purpose, maybe I'll bypass the cooler, maybe hang it somewhere there is no airflow just so I can use the center bolt. Plan was to rig up a cooler for future track use that would either be behind the valance with a fan or external and removable for street driving.

IG @turbovarg
                              '91 318is, M20 turbo
                              - updated 3-17

Comment

New tires. Now I'm riding on some beefy 225/50/16 Continental Extremecontact Sports. So glad to have traction again, can't wait to feel safe and secure on a wet road.

I opted for these instead of star specs because I hardly ever had the chance to use them at the autocross and these were ~$200 cheaper. They rub on the fender liners and I'm going to have to roll the lips of the front fenders as a precaution. I raised the front suspension by 1/2" when I put these on to make up for the 1/2" of extra radius.

IG @turbovarg
                                '91 318is, M20 turbo
                                - updated 3-17

Comment

Working...
                                X