Is Your fan squeaking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Your fan squeaking?

It's that time of year (winter) when the fans trying to blast heat. But the only thing Im getting is a ringing in my ears from the fans squeak.

I have a 1985 e30 daily driver and two 1987 parts cars. All 3 fans squeak.

I have searched and read of people talking about replacing the bushings. The motor works perfect just squeaks something awful. Why spend $200 or more on another motor?

So I figured what do I have loose right?

Went to the local hardware store. Picked up some bearings I thought would work from the measurements I took. Made a quick video of it for everyone to see the results. The bearings were only like $3 a piece. Took me about an hour i would say with filming as I went. I did pick up some oil impregnated brass bushings Im going to try on one of my other e30's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unjhL46_eSY&t=1s

Its hard to make out in the video but the ball bearings are louder then the bushings (a good set that is) but way better then the bad squeaky bushings.

So i have 2 more fan assemblies I was thinking of using oil infused bronze bushings instead of ball bearings.
    Last edited by ImmortalSoul219; 01-05-2018, 04:11 PM.

You could try oilite I suppose, worth a shot. You could also grease the current bushings. The low temperature is causing the squeak, just like all the other creaks and rattles that show up this time of year.

Grr.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

I tried wd40 first. That last 1 day

Then took the fan out an tried oiling it for a few days. That lasted a couple days.

It’s been squeaking since the day I bought it. Finally had enough.

Comment

Nice one OP, sure beats $150 for an aftermarket unit or $550 for a BMW part.

Comment

Nice job.

My blower motor in the rallycross ix was completely frozen. I had a replacement, which I dropped and broke. Much anger later, I pb blaster the bearings on my old fan and slowly worked it back and forth until it spun free. Replacement bearings might be the ticket if it decides to seize up again.
          AWD > RWD

Comment

I had the same issue when I bought my m3.

I pulled the assembly out and soaked the bushings in new engine oil. It sat on my bench for about a week.

When I finally put it back in the car,.......it smoked something fierce. The smoke lasted for about 2minutes, and the motor was quiet ever since. It was in the car for about 8 years when I sold the car.
            Originally posted by codyep3
            I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
            2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
            1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
            1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
            2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
            2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
            2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
            2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
            2010 F650gs twin
            2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Does a new only really cost $500?

Comment

Thats a nice repair. I just wish people would stop using WD as a lube.
                Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                Alice the Time Capsule
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by JIM1inWisconsin View Post
                  No, but that's what they sell them for.

Comment

I bought a new one (for an AC E30) for 75€ although not original BMW, it does look great at first sight.
                    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
                    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

fan

Bav Auto sells them for slightly over $200 and others can be had for less. I would buy new and avoid anything used. The install takes less than 30 minutes if you know what you're doing. The removal and install of the clip is a little tricky if you've never done this before.

Comment

The bearings were only like $3 a piece. Took me about an hour i would say with filming as I went. I did pick up some oil impregnated brass bushings Im going to try on one of my other e30's.

Comment

Originally posted by JIM1inWisconsin View Post
                          ACM (OEM) is $170.

I just ordered one and a new resistor because mine is squeaking, again. Now I'll never have to buy another.
                          Originally posted by Sonny
                          I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Working...
                          X