Spam overkill!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spam overkill!

Well, Spam is on point this morning. I understand being a mod is a thankless job, and I understand that they have a life outside of here. And I Do Appreciate what you guys do. But Lets be proactive here guys, shit is getting really out of hand again.

As much as I hate Captcha, it's time for some kind of automation like that to combat these scumbags. Lets get rid of the 60 second wait between reports also. I love this forum, but We are on the Spammer Scum radar, with a big sign that says "We don't have Defences, Come Shove spam up our asses."

Hell, if one of the mods wanted to give me privileges to delete spam threads, I'd do it.
    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Yes this is a thankless job, and I just woke up here about an hour ago. So yes we do have lives outside of here. There was about 50 threads I deleted here. That is the most I've deleted in the past month.

But anyways, A GEO IP filter was put into place last month to cut out the spam. It seemed to be working cause it did cut back alot of spam. The ones that are getting through we are collecting a list of IPs and James is checking them out. He said some of them are spoofed and need to dig where they are really from. I know nothing of the IT world, so I'm just relaying the info we're told.

The report thing just goes straight to our personal email. I can't speak for the others but it's rare that I even check my personal email. I have found that pretty much all of the reported spam is deleted by the time you get in your email and read it all and click the links to just find it's gone. It's just far simpler to get on the forum and browse through and delete it as you see it cause they are simple to pick out.

And by the way, no mod can make someone else a mod. That is admins only. But it is brought up to the whole staff (mods/admins) if so and so would be a good person to join on or not.

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by delamaize View Post
      Well...

Hell, if one of the mods wanted to give me privileges to delete spam threads, I'd do it.
      I'd be willing to delete them too!
      1990 325i
      2004 330i Individual 6-speed
      sigpic

Comment

The less frequent regional forums are filled with spam. I accidentally clicked on the new zealand regional and it was all spam.
        Simon
        Current Cars:
        -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

I just cleaned them out. LMK if I missed any.
          Originally posted by kronus
          would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Thanks I'm seeing how much of a pain it is. The general discussion gets them in waves
            Simon
            Current Cars:

Comment

I know its been mentioned before, but what is the solution to stopping the spam? I've been on a few boards for a long time now and it only seems to be this board that these spam posts effect. Just curious if there even is a solution.
              Steve • Toronto
              1991 318is • Brillantrot
              Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
                I know its been mentioned before, but what is the solution to stopping the spam? I've been on a few boards for a long time now and it only seems to be this board that these spam posts effect. Just curious if there even is a solution.
                Here's what is in place so far https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...60&postcount=2

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by JasonC View Post
                  Thanks for the update.
                  Steve • Toronto
                  1991 318is • Brillantrot
                  Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
                    I just cleaned them out. LMK if I missed any.
                    PNW forum is one that seems to get hit pretty hard too... they also bitch about it a lot, so maybe leave it
                    Simon
                    Current Cars:

Comment

i thought a mod got a p.m when someone reported spam.
                      oh well i'll stop the futile effort.

Comment

We do, although as mentioned a number of times previously, by the time we actually get to the email and click the link to the reported thread, more often than not it's already been removed.

I'll also reiterate that we don't need individual spam threads reported, especially in high traffic areas. Those are usually easy enough to spot as long as people can refrain from replying to them (especially the ones which have copied a valid thread title). The posts we get the most value from being reported are the replies embedded in existing, valid threads.
                        Originally posted by kronus
                        would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                          PNW forum is one that seems to get hit pretty hard too... they also bitch about it a lot, so maybe leave it
                          That's only when we can't use Tapatalk and the "Participated" tab...

Let's be honest, the two probably highest traffic threads now (outside P&R) is PNW chit chat and the BAT thread..
                          1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
                          2016 Ford Flex
                          2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Seems like agent has a lot on his plate, as he seems to be the only active mod.

The spam is pretty ridiculous nowadays
                            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
                            Q
                            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

these were the IPs of the threads I killed in one sub-forum. Does anyone understand the correlation? Usually the numbers are all over the place but these are very similar
                              Simon
                              Current Cars:

Comment

Working...
                              X