How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
    Euro knuckles are plug and play with the rack swap. Just space out the subframe.
    In the middle of the swap now and I left out an important detail before. My car was originally a 318i with factory manual steering. The new rack is mounted and the knuckle piece is way too long, unfortunately. Also, the factory pinion on the manual rack is much smaller diameter than the z3 pinion. All the articles on shortening the length of the knuckle seems to be based on the 'standard' e30 knuckle.

I can't seem to find any info on the manual steering knuckle, has this been documented?

Comment

Originally posted by redearedslider5 View Post
      In the middle of the swap now and I left out an important detail before. My car was originally a 318i with factory manual steering. The new rack is mounted and the knuckle piece is way too long, unfortunately. Also, the factory pinion on the manual rack is much smaller diameter than the z3 pinion. All the articles on shortening the length of the knuckle seems to be based on the 'standard' e30 knuckle.

I can't seem to find any info on the manual steering knuckle, has this been documented?
      Try swapping the steering column? May be less of a headache than trying to get your current one to fit
      Transaction Feedback
      Various E30 Parts for Sale!
      Z3 Steering Racks for Sale!

Current Fleet:
      -1987 Delphin Grey 325iS
      -1989 Bronzit Beige 325iS

Comment

Hey guys, I have a '91 318 (airbagged) and the rack just went out, so I'm of course looking at the e36 conversion. Any feedback on this on eBay? I'm weary of the quality, but wanted to see if anyone has had experience with these. I'm sorry if this has already been reviewed on r3v.

Thanks!
        sigpic

https://www.facebook.com/Lego.e30

Comment

You could say that again...oh and the link no worky worky
          1990 325is
          m52b28
          3.73lsd
          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

For future reference, I ended up just buying the custom piece from Zionsville auto.

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
              You could say that again...oh and the link no worky worky
              https://www.ebay.com/itm/Complete-Po...sAAOSwOYFabnqZ

How's this?
              sigpic

https://www.facebook.com/Lego.e30

Comment

For future reference, I ended up just buying the custom piece from Zionsville auto.
                Also for future reference.... As you found out, the manual steering rack linkage is entirely different. To remedy this you would need to purchase a standard early model power steering linkage and shorten it for an e36 rack install. I assume this is the part that zionsville sold you.

Comment

Rack hard lines in the way

So I go through all the steps, modified steering knuckle, and get all excited about mounting the new E36 rack into place. Only to find out it wont fit because the hard lines on the rack are hitting the sub frame :o

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9335.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	7201367

I figure I would cut the lines shorter so that they are closer to the rack and get enough clearance. But I see this weird flare that doesnt seem to be either bubble or double, so I can't just rent a tool to get it done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	526C8088-9CFA-48F4-A217-023BD022AC6A.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	7201368

This is very frustrating to say the least and Im unable to finish the job. This rack appears to be generic as it has no plates or part numbers. Got it from buyautoparts.com as "Power Steering - E36 Chassis [New Body Style] Power Steering Rack 1993 BMW 325i"

Has anyone else encountered this issue?
                  Youtube Channel
                  '89 325i Convertible
                  '19 VW Atlas
                  '19 Subaru STI

Comment

Originally posted by bellerto View Post
                    Has anyone else encountered this issue?
                    OEM or bust, mate. Return it and go buy an e46 "purple" rack off RackDoctor.
                    GL
                    "Time doesn't heal anything... It just teaches us how to live with the pain." - My Cracked Dashboard

Comment

Originally posted by Zambuzan View Post
                      OEM or bust, mate. Return it and go buy an e46 "purple" rack off RackDoctor.
                      GL
                      Yup. Lesson learned the hard way. Looking for a genuine BMW rack now for sure. Im a bit skeptical on rackdoctor though. How can the prices be so low compared to other reputable sites?
                      Youtube Channel
                      '89 325i Convertible
                      '19 VW Atlas
                      '19 Subaru STI

Comment

How To Guide - E36 Steering Rack Swap

Weird, on my e36 rack there’s an o-ring in there, it’s not a flare. Check if it’s stuck inside.

I have a rack from rack doctor and it was leaking from one of those fittings as soon as I got it, so I’m not confident they are as good as people make them out to be.

Comment

e46 yellow tag is where it's at.
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd
                          g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Originally posted by pandaboo911 View Post
                            Weird, on my e36 rack there’s an o-ring in there, it’s not a flare. Check if it’s stuck inside.

I have a rack from rack doctor and it was leaking from one of those fittings as soon as I got it, so I’m not confident they are as good as people make them out to be.
                            This does have an o-ring in there as well just not shown in the picture. So the fitting goes through the o-ring and the flare sits on top of the ring.

I figure I would just cut the line sorter and re-flare it but then I was surprised with this. I believe this type of flare is called "GM fuel line" flare. It couldn't be something easy to deal with like double or bubble, of course.
                            Youtube Channel
                            '89 325i Convertible
                            '19 VW Atlas
                            '19 Subaru STI

Comment

I have a Rack Doctor E46 yellow tag in my car and it's fantastic. Seriously, 10/10. Quality of the rebuild is top notch as well. Not a drip
                              Build Thread

Comment

I have an unused rack doctor e46 rack for sale if anyone is interested. It’s brand new.

Comment

Working...
                                X