Any 318i/is's (M42 cars) here in CO?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any 318i/is's (M42 cars) here in CO?

Thinking about picking one up, but wondering how they do with the altitude.

Any comments?

Paging Ted...

Comment

Yeah i've got one. It does pretty good all in all. i mean 137 hp and a weight of 2600 pounds doesn't make it a rocket. The steering is nice and light and makes it tossable. There is a reason they call it the poor man's m3.

But they say you lose 3% per 1000 feet so i'm losing between 15-18% power normally from sea level. But the m42 in the e30 has a peakier and less torquey engine than the one in the e36 so it makes it fun to drive. Don't expect to win many races -- after I picked up some tires a truck drag raced me and beat me but thats not the point of the car. It also averaged 29.8 mpg on a roadtrip of almost 1000 miles averaging 66.6 mpg including all stops on an engine unknown with history. I average between 29-31 depending where I drive and how hard i drive. I would recommend it for buzzing around town and doing commuting but if you are looking for any sort of speed based performance you may consider another car. I'm planning to do an autocross with it sunday and will let you know it goes!
      318iS Track Rat :nice: www.drive4corners.com
      '86 325iX 3.1 Stroker Turbo '86 S38B36 325

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

I've had mine since 2001, as slow as a car can be the m42 does very good. From Brighton to denver I would consume a tank of gas in 7 days. My 318i has markD chip, lightweight flywheel and COP.
        sigpic
        HyperWerkz

89 mtech2, s50, AR Kit, borgwarner s362, e-85, 15psi... 592whp
        " enjoy the show "

Comment

did you build your COP kit?

No one makes this car anymore. The government won't allow them, normal people won't buy them. So it's up to us: the freaks, the weirdos, the informed. To buy them, to appreciate them, and most importantly, to drive them.

Comment

How do your M42's do climbing the mountains? I drive up and down almost daily between Denver and up to ~7,500ft. I'm currently driving a V8, so no problems, but I want something more economical and lighter.

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
              did you build your COP kit?
              Bought it as a set like 5 years ago.

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
              How do your M42's do climbing the mountains? I drive up and down almost daily between Denver and up to ~7,500ft. I'm currently driving a V8, so no problems, but I want something more economical and lighter.
              Never really take it up that way, we used to drive it up to central city, Cabrini area when I was a younger with my parents and brother, did ok I guess.
              sigpic
              HyperWerkz

" enjoy the show "

Comment

I've taken mine up to like 9300 ft and it does fine. Need a heavy foot to get over monument hill (7300 ft) but I can almost do 80 all the way to the top in 5th gear. It keeps up with most traffic, just don't expect to overtake many in that scenario

Comment

Originally posted by downforce22 View Post
                  I've taken mine up to like 9300 ft and it does fine. Need a heavy foot to get over monument hill (7300 ft) but I can almost do 80 all the way to the top in 5th gear. It keeps up with most traffic, just don't expect to overtake many in that scenario
                  Just took mine over monument yesterday, no issues. End of the month lets see what happens when I drive out to steamboat and head over Loveland pass. For around town? No problems, and my transition was v8 (e38 740 sport) into the 318iS. 5 speed makes it more tolerable, too

Comment

Should do a m42 only gtg ha!!
                    sigpic
                    HyperWerkz

" enjoy the show "

Comment

And e30 M42 up a steep incline is a bit of a humbling experience. You'll get minivans and prius passing you at a decent clip. A e30 or a e21 with a M10 is even worse. Down shift to third, close your eyes, and pretend it didn't happen.

Now do that with an m30, and you'll be fine. Ehehehhe.
                      Originally posted by Matt-B
                      hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I have a 91 318is and it looks like crap. beat. it has 257K and needs a lot of suspension work blah blah blah. But the engine i won't complain.. i also have a 13 subaru impreza manual.. and the m42 does better then that up hills. i prefer to drive the e30 anywhere over the subaru partly of it being an e30, but i like it better than the subaru .
                        sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
                        1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
                        1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
                        1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
                        (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
                        1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
                        2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
                        2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Any M42 cars here near Longmont?

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
                            Any M42 cars here near Longmont?
                            Yup! Superior.

JSA_0280-1

Comment

^ That's a nice looking car.
                              sigpic

2014 GTI | 2002 Land Cruiser | 1991 Volvo 745t

Comment