No announcement yet.

Auto to 5speed Transmission Conversion Write up(56k no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So after quickly fixing the fact that i somehow broke the little ground strap between the starter and solenoid thing, i double checked my wiring, fixed it to look like marvin's and it fired right up. Thanks for all your help guys, and marvin, that picture helped TONS.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerbuddie
      this thread is very helpfull,
      i will do my swap next weekend, if i get all the parts here by this week
      one question, will the 5spd tranny from the e30 fit the m50 engine?
      It will fit, but needs a custom cross member because the tranny sits at an angle.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

The hardest thing i ever did on my E30 before i did my tranny swap was change the brake pads.

Granted, i didn't get the whole swap done in day, but i made damn good time for someone who only had this writeup, the bentley, and questions.

If i can do it, almost anyone can.

Comment

Sticky please!
          1988 M3
          2005 330ci

Comment

I'm doing this conversion right now. Everythign going to plan so far.

A few pointers: - use a big breaker bar on the torque converter bolts and a big F/O screwdriver on the ring gear and you'll be fine. Or get another breaker bar on the front pulley nut and wedge it against the ground.

- you can change pedals over on some models without removing the pedal box - I did. You still "teach the neighbours a few new words" if you have aircon like me and the lines get in the way, but a lot less hassle than changing the entire box.

- I haven't yet worked our the wiring thing. Some of my wires are diff colours. I have a brown, a Green with yellow, a blue with white and two green with black entering the plug.

Going by the write up I should be joining the two green and black with the green and yellow? Isn't green and yellow power in for the little shift console light and the reversing lights? Brown would be earth for the little console light, and blue the return via the reversing bulbs?

So do the green and blacks need to go to ground, or do they indeed get jumpered to the green and yellow. My manual says I could just jumper two pins on the ECU connector, but that territory really scares me!

Comment

Got it - 2x green w/ black spliced into the incoming power (green w/ yellow) for the reversing lights.

Comment

So that reddish-brown wire is actually a ground?

Comment

Originally posted by robmespeedy
                  Hey just wondering , Can you use the Old starter motor that was on the Automatic on the conversion to the 5 speed ?
                  or are they identical ?
                  They are the same, you can reuse it.

RISING EDGE

Comment

its the bearing that fits inside the crank shaft, i presume for the input shaft of the 5spd to slot into....automatics do not have them

Comment

It's called a pilot bearing. A small gear puller can remove it.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Pictures are completely unnecessary to do the swap, I did it all just by reading this article:

RISING EDGE

Comment

can a gtg260 from 528e work in '91 325i?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PУCCKAЯ_e30
                            can a gtg260 from 528e work in '91 325i?
                            yes, in fact, if you use the one from '82 or '83 or something, it's got external bellhousing/transmission bolts.....or something
                            R.I.P 07/01/09 - 04/23/10 :(

Comment

anyone have a host for the pictures yet?

Comment

Is it really necessary to replace all the bolts/washers new?
                                Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                                http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                                X