Thinking about a S38 now... Prices?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking about a S38 now... Prices?

An S38 from a '88 M5 popped up on CL about 1.5 hours from me. It's a complete drivetrain with every accessory that was pulled from a running and driving M5 over 7 years ago. Will have more details later. EDIT: Engine has 72,000 miles.

He's asking 3200. Fair for S38B35? Also, it comes with brand new Mahle pistons.
    Last edited by E30 Wagen; 08-05-2013, 06:12 PM.
    My Feedback

Sounds like it needs to be rebuilt

Comment

Originally posted by e304me View Post
      Sounds like it needs to be rebuilt
      He says not necessarily. Although I would rebuild it anway, likely over the course of a year to keep funds levelled out... Getting this engine would mean lots of changes would happen to my current plans.
      My Feedback

Comment

The B35 is far less desirable than the B36 or B38. I would wait for one of those instead consideridering the working involved to install.
        www.eurowinnipeg.com
        www.E30S38.com
        E30 Mtec2-S38 | V10 TDI treg | E34 M5 | E39 M5 | Corrado turbo VR6

Comment

Originally posted by Sharino View Post
          The B35 is far less desirable than the B36 or B38. I would wait for one of those instead consideridering the working involved to install.
          You can swap in a 3.6 crankshaft, though right?
          My Feedback

Comment

No, its more than just swapping cranks.

I have a spare complete S38B36 engine with all accessories if interested, comes with ECU, harness, etc. Car had 99kms (62? miles) on it when removed. I will probably sell it for a little more than what the other one you are looking at is going for. It was running in a car less than 6 months ago before it got into an accident.
            www.eurowinnipeg.com
            www.E30S38.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sharino View Post
              No, its more than just swapping cranks.

I have a spare complete S38B36 engine with all accessories if interested, comes with ECU, harness, etc. Car had 99kms (62? miles) on it when removed. I will probably sell it for a little more than what the other one you are looking at is going for. It was running in a car less than 6 months ago before it got into an accident.
              Right, I forget about the rods and pistons, but is there more beyond that?

Very tempted about yours, but not until next spring if you'll hold onto it for me. :) Could be a fun roadtrip up north to pick it up. I've always wanted an S38.
              My Feedback

Comment

I paid $1500 for a similar high mileage S38B35 and the G280. The motor re-build will cost me $8-10k and the transmission rebuild $3k (if I can find someone to do it + parts). I believe now that if I were looking to put a ///Motorsports 6 in an e30 I'd upgrade to a more recent ///M set that didn't need a build.
                Matt
                McLean, VA

Comment

Why do I keep reading about S38's needing rebuilds.. only if the previous owner was a complete idiot would a S38 need a rebuild.

Also I guess people have different perceptions of what an engine rebuild mean.. do you guys consider an oil change and valve adjustment, maybe a new chain, a rebuild?
                  ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)Be Afraid Of The Future

Comment

I agree!
                    www.eurowinnipeg.com
                    www.E30S38.com

Comment

why not a S50B32?
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                        why not a S50B32?
                        Euro? It's sunk in that true motorsports engines are overall too damn expensive!

I don't know why I waste my time fantasizing about these things anyway. I have like 40 other projects that I need to finish, that is if I've even started them. And today I just added another project to the list in the form of a '91 318is. Killing myself with this shit.
                        My Feedback

Comment

He's asking 3200. Fair for S38B35?
                          Do to the rarity it probably is fair price. But I would not spend that kind of money on old engine with distributor cap and wires, that is so 1980s

Comment

Sorry for stealing the thread..

i have a NEW rebuilt S38B38,, with CP forged pistons oem cr 10,5 first overbore 95mm
                            All seals and gasket new,, Victor-Reinz,,
                            ARP head studs,,
                            main + rodbearing new,((OEM)) standard size
                            Cylinder head rebuilt with seals etc..
                            all parts.. except cylinder head and engine block were glas-blasted
                            almost every bolt/nut new ,,
                            new waterpump,,
                            new thermostat + seals
                            headers have airpump delete,, and inside port plumping taken away..
                            Chain tensioner twin chain are not new,, and clutch is not new

G-280 gearbox overhauled 2 years ago
                            E34 M5 brakebooster ((a must,, for S38 swap))
                            E30/S38-G280 driveshaft
                            E30/S38 engine mounts
                            E30/S38 servo lines ,,for power steering

basicly ,, all the parts you need for E30 S38 swap.. plug and play (except wiring)

price,............. a lot

just parts and lathejob is 4000$ in the engine

pm for info
                            Sveinbjörn Hrafnsson

E30 CABRIO V12 M70B50 ///
                            ALPINA B10 BITURBO 346 @ 507
                            E34 550 V12 JML

Finnish wisdom : If you want to Win,, hire a Finn

http://alpina.123.is/pictures/

Comment

^ Can. No. Afford.

LOL