VW Bug Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VW Bug Thread

Always had a soft spot for bugs. Some of these pictures might be photo shopped.

Any R3V members have bugs? Post pics please.

Last edited by Javier h; 06-20-2017, 08:47 AM.

here is my contribution:

about 6 or 7 years ago, my crew and i were flying back to houston from guadalajara, mexico. another aircraft in the vicinity had a stuck microphone and accidentally told this story over air traffic control frequency. i thought it was funny as hell.

so....the guy's mom has a bug convertible. if i remember right, they lived in tampa.

one morning, they were getting ready to make breakfast and realized they were out of eggs and milk. the stepdad(who is like 6'7" tall skinny dude-think ichabod crane) volunteered to run to the store. mom's bug was parked behind his excursion so he decided to just take her car instead of switching everything around in the driveway.

since he was so tall, he had no choice but to put the top down and look over the top of the windshield. apparently, he didn't look very masculine with this setup. he was sitting at a traffic light minding his own business, waiting for green when two teen age punks walk up beside him and yell: FAG!!!!!!!

he never drove the car again
    Last edited by flyboyx; 06-21-2017, 05:22 AM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

Pretty sure those two teens were just complimenting the high quality bearing manufacturer that undoubtedly played a role in the Beetle.

Comment

My old roommate had an old beetle. I rode in it with him from time to time.

It was a huge piece of crap. Rust free, and the interior was decent for being almost 50 years old, but man was it a slow, boring piece of crap.
        My previous build (currently E30-less)
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170390

A 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4x4 Offroad in Inferno is my newest obsession

Comment

I was gonna say

Be nice.

Bugs have always been for the youth imo but I have always been a fan of their simplicity. I owned one 20 years ago. It was actually very fast....well at least it felt fast at the time.

The one I had was just a 1600cc, dual port but the body was very light. I think the previous owner must have modified things a bit. I drove a 1815cc once and that car by comparison was slow.

I owned it for a few months as it kept nickle and diming me... so I moved on to an E30 (m10) after that. Believe it or not the e30 was less expensive to maintain.

Now here's a note. The bug would do 80 up hill....the e30 would barely break 62....I had to throw it in 4th gear and pull to the right lane while trucks would pass me by. Yes, the m10 was just way too slow, you really had to redline it daily just to make it sing.

Last edited by Javier h; 06-23-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

We already have this thread:

Originally posted by kronus
            would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Originally posted by agent View Post
              I really don't understand why clarkston carries so much clout

Comment

Originally posted by Javier h View Post

I owned it for a few months as it kept nickle and diming me... so I moved on to an E30 (m10) after that. Believe it or not the e30 was less expensive to maintain.
                I'm really not surprised by this.

My first "real" car was an 84 Rabbit. I loved it and only gave it the best parts, fluids, etc. The thing had relatively low mileage but something was ALWAYS broken. In the two years I owned it, I practically replaced almost everything on it (door handles, switches, visor, wheel bearings, struts, shocks...).

Once i got my 86 325es that totally changed. No more small items breaking, only simple stuff like valve adjustments, oil changes and tune-ups were needed. And surprisingly the fuel economy of the big 2.7 was better than the 1.8 from the Rabbit.

Since then I've sworn off all VW products.
                If it's got tits or tires, it's gonna cost ya!

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley Rockafella View Post
                  I'm really not surprised by this.

My first "real" car was an 84 Rabbit. I loved it and only gave it the best parts, fluids, etc. The thing had relatively low mileage but something was ALWAYS broken. In the two years I owned it, I practically replaced almost everything on it (door handles, switches, visor, wheel bearings, struts, shocks...).

Once i got my 86 325es that totally changed. No more small items breaking, only simple stuff like valve adjustments, oil changes and tune-ups were needed. And surprisingly the fuel economy of the big 2.7 was better than the 1.8 from the Rabbit.

Since then I've sworn off all VW products.
                  Funny, my experience has been the exact opposite. My family has had an '86 VW Jetta since about 1988. For most of that time period, it has needed almost nothing. It's needed a few more major things in the last few years, but I guess that's to be expected when it's got 500k miles. My E30 is the opposite. It's a POS and something is always going wrong. I handed it off to my dad since he wanted a project, and I didn't. Worst car I've ever owned, by far. Some of that may be bad luck though - the original high miles motor spun a bearing, as did it's freshened up (including bearings) replacement after about 1500 miles. I've never had a car what would actually be worse after fixing it.

Comment

I was seriously in the market for a bug to daily drive leading up to buying my E30. My roommate had been daily driving his bus from Oside to OC every day and a buddy had a baja I helped build that was decent, so buying one and making it reliable didn't seem like a stretch, but all the cars I looked at just seemed really junky for how much they go for. Right as I was realizing that it might not be the best car for me I got word of this Calypso 325i for sale and that was sorta it.

Drove my buddy's slammed '66 with a 1600 dual port a few weeks back and it was a lot of fun though.
                    sigpic
                    1991 325i Sport - Calypsorot Metallic - DAILY DRIVEN

WTB in SoCal: 8"/10" Lukebox, leather Sport steering wheel, 60L MotoMeter fuel gauge, Thule/Yakima roof rack

Comment

My wife and I have 2012 Turbo 6spd- the engine is in the front but it is tons of fun. Going to have to get rid of it soon now that we have a kid on the way unfortunately.

OBDI M62B44/6 swap
                      Transaction feedback
                      - jpod999

Comment

Working...
                      X