No announcement yet.

MS on 24 swapped e30?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I here plug n play, and what my brain really tells me is "you can't fuck this up thinking your some kind of genius..."

I will do some more homework on some of these. I do like the idea of simply plugging in a unit and doing some minor tweaking maybe before actually tuning. With my tie going the way it is at the moment, plug and play would be a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by haaken675 View Post
      unless I missed something, you can't just tap into the ob2 ecu from my home pc can I?
      Yes, you missed something.

If you have time to read, and ~$50 to spend on program/cable, you can flash the stock OBD2 ecu.

People are making >1000whp on it, your high compression stroker would be more than fine.

Because I don't want this to be another "My way is the only way!" I'll list some pro's and con's (or Stock pros vs Standalone pros)

Stock ECU Pros:
      Magnitudes cheaper
      Comes with all calibration data for all sensors
      Once tuned can run "Like stock"
      Wiring is easy, just leave or trim whatever you want out of the harness. Only need to wire anything in if you want to log them through the ECU instead of separately.

Stock ECU Cons:
      Not designed to be "tuned" the way we want, so:
      Cannot live edit - need to turn car off to flash.
      Injector PW based fuel map. Not as intuitive or as simple to modify.
      "Stuck" with some sort of MAF (Not a big deal, but there are a few downsides).
      Significantly fewer people willing or capable of tuning.

Standalone Pros:
      Built to be tuned. (Significantly more intuitive, fewer modifiers that affect what the ECU does, means adjustments are more straightforward)
      Whatever management method you want (Alpha N, Speed Density, MAF)
      Can edit data live.
      Can do additional things (depending on ECU) like flat foot shifting, Electronic boost control, various other things through extra i/o.
      Way fewer problems finding a local tuner.
      Easier to make changes to setup or hardware in the future.

Standalone Cons:
      Expensive (and you get what you pay for, especially for support, reliability, and function)
      More wiring intensive
      May not run as refined as a stock ECU, typically many tables omitted for simplicity (refer to the fewer modifiers comment above)

I don't want this to sound like I'm shitting on the standalone option, it's just that MS41 is pretty damn capable as long as you have time to read/learn, and don't have any wild requirements.
      Originally posted by priapism
      My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
      Originally posted by shameson
      Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
        Yes, you missed something.

If you have time to read, and ~$50 to spend on program/cable, you can flash the stock OBD2 ecu.

People are making >1000whp on it, your high compression stroker would be more than fine.

Because I don't want this to be another "My way is the only way!" I'll list some pro's and con's (or Stock pros vs Standalone pros)

Stock ECU Pros:
        Magnitudes cheaper
        Comes with all calibration data for all sensors
        Once tuned can run "Like stock"
        Wiring is easy, just leave or trim whatever you want out of the harness. Only need to wire anything in if you want to log them through the ECU instead of separately.

Stock ECU Cons:
        Not designed to be "tuned" the way we want, so:
        Cannot live edit - need to turn car off to flash.
        Injector PW based fuel map. Not as intuitive or as simple to modify.
        "Stuck" with some sort of MAF (Not a big deal, but there are a few downsides).
        Significantly fewer people willing or capable of tuning.

Standalone Pros:
        Built to be tuned. (Significantly more intuitive, fewer modifiers that affect what the ECU does, means adjustments are more straightforward)
        Whatever management method you want (Alpha N, Speed Density, MAF)
        Can edit data live.
        Can do additional things (depending on ECU) like flat foot shifting, Electronic boost control, various other things through extra i/o.
        Way fewer problems finding a local tuner.
        Easier to make changes to setup or hardware in the future.

Standalone Cons:
        Expensive (and you get what you pay for, especially for support, reliability, and function)
        More wiring intensive
        May not run as refined as a stock ECU, typically many tables omitted for simplicity (refer to the fewer modifiers comment above)

I don't want this to sound like I'm shitting on the standalone option, it's just that MS41 is pretty damn capable as long as you have time to read/learn, and don't have any wild requirements.
        Thanks for the info, its nice top know you can tune the stock OBD2 ecu now. I have had several bimmers, but it has been years since I have had one now and when I was last into the scene you couldn't really tune the stock ecu's.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with a Megsquirt - you would want Megasquirt 3 at least though, as it supports full sequential fuel and ignition. Anything else would be a downgrade from the stock computer.

Megasquirt is pretty easy to tune, and there's years of support and lots of precedence in the E30 community.

I'm assuming he's not a professional race team so putting it down because they don't use it in Formula 1 is just hyperbole.

That said you should consider getting the OBD2 computer tuned, because any standalone at all is going to be far more work to get it running smoothly than the stock computer. You're not just tuning for a WOT pull on the dyno - there are drivability issues that take time to sort out and it can drive you a little insane after a while. All that stuff is done on the stock computer so you can just focus on performance.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

VEMS now has PNP for the Motronic 1.3, but if you are local, can help you setup to tune yourself, or can tune it for you. We are located in Pompano Beach (Broward county). As nando said, starting with a stock ECU is generally easier since it's already tuned for a stock engine. I used a 413 to Alpha-N my ITB m50 e36, runs/drives/starts like stock until the beautiful noises come from the intake horns.
            john@m20guru.com
            Links:
            Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Working...
            X