No announcement yet.

DIY - Smoked Ellipsoids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Taking the lense off isn't that hard it just takes some patience is all. I'm sure the smaller size of these lenses compared the lights I did would make them a lot harder to break.
    Bryan - 1989 325i S50 swapped /1990 Audi Coupe Quattro

Comment

What works better gloss or flat black to paint what needs painted. Somebody mentioned purple... should i ignore that?

somebody have pics of both?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

semi gloss/satin (think trim paint)
        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Where is the templet for the cross hairs? I searched for it but couldn't find it. If someone does find it please post the link in this thread.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

there is a pdf in the first couple of pages, i believe its posted by jordan.

i just printed it. ive been wanting to do this for a while, and i now finialy have some time :)

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

The links he posted don't want to work for me :(

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

Try this:

Hella Smoked Template

Print at 8.5x11 @ 300dpi

Comment

Thanks, but now i see i have no paper for the printer :curse:

1992 BMW 325iC

Comment

could someone elaborate on how the template is use/layed out..

thankyou

Comment

I dont understand how somebody can take the lens of without cracking them. ... i cracked 3 out of the 4 of them.. lol. i have a hella smile lens if anybody is interested...

@Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
                        I dont understand how somebody can take the lens of without cracking them. ... i cracked 3 out of the 4 of them.. lol. i have a hella smile lens if anybody is interested...

If you didn't have the smiley it would be easier and it could be done without taking the lens off. I posted a DIY on how to smoke a non smiley ellisoid without taking the lens off but it seems like it still has not made it on the boards. Any one know how it takes to get initial post on the forum??

Comment

Sorry to add on/bump to an old thread, but to dechrome the ellipsoid part, just use oven cleaner. A lot easier and faster than boiling them, and works better too.

Comment

^ this looks good. lots of options for stripping, my question is, has anybody tried the lenses on ebay that are pure clear glass, meaning no textures/stamping? or are people re-using pitted/hazey glass oem glass, or buying replacement acrylics?

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              it's a work in progress, but I've pretty much finished the low beams. here's what they looked like when I got them and what they look like now:

Yes I know I have the wrong lense on there, I don't have a new set of low beam lenses yet.

after removing the lenses, I found out that the silver coating on the reflectors would boil off in water, so I boiled them to make painting easy. I used SEM trim paint (cause it's about the right shade, and I had it lying around). I also took apart the ellipsoid assembly, taking out the lense and painting the holder, and then I painted the front half of the bucket black. They are completely dark if you look straight into them, because the front of the cutoff is black so nothing reflects back out of the ellipsoid lense.

now I just need to find some plastic to finish the high beams, and get lenses for the low beams..

Images in OP fixed.

Comment

Working...
                              X