Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

M42 or m44 bottom end for the boosted stroker build.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M42 or m44 bottom end for the boosted stroker build.

I am planning a drivetrain upgrade in my e21.
    I decided to go with a stroked m42.

Plans are for boosted engine using small EFR turbo and modest 350-400whp and 7k rpm redline.

I know what the oil squirters do and i know that due to the elevated temperatures boosted engines benefits from them.

However, do i really need squirters for the power levels that i am shooting for?

Car might see one or two autocross events a year if any. It will most likely see some daily street trashing during summer months.

Whats your opinion on the oil squirters for this application?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, they won't make or break your project, but you probably ought to have them for the tiny reliability bump they might provide.

Also, 400 WHP out of a possibly 2.0L and a 30 year old N/A engine design is modest to you? Not saying it's impossible or anything, but it might not be practical/reliable/pleasant to drive.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      No, they won't make or break your project, but you probably ought to have them for the tiny reliability bump they might provide.

Also, 400 WHP out of a possibly 2.0L and a 30 year old N/A engine design is modest to you? Not saying it's impossible or anything, but it might not be practical/reliable/pleasant to drive.
      I have m10 turbo with borg s252sxe right know in my car with spine snapping suspension spring rates and tilton twin plate clutch and i still enjoy this car very much :D

I was going for 400whp out of my m10 but i am tired of sourcing a good getrag 265 to hold the power. With m42 i can bolt the zf320 that are way easier to find and definitely cheaper than g265.

I think the m42s are well capable of over 500whp. 400whp should not be too much of an issue with e85.

Comment

Originally posted by retoropak View Post
        I am planning a drivetrain upgrade in my e21.
        I decided to go with a stroked m42.

Plans are for boosted engine using small EFR turbo and modest 350-400whp and 7k rpm redline.

I know what the oil squirters do and i know that due to the elevated temperatures boosted engines benefits from them.

However, do i really need squirters for the power levels that i am shooting for.

Whats your opinion on the oil squirters for this application?

Thanks.

Being boosted, I would give up the 6 in^3 advantage of the M44 for the forged crank of the M42. Both have oil squirters so no advantage to either 1.

Comment

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
          Being boosted, I would give up the 6 in^3 advantage of the M44 for the forged crank of the M42. Both have oil squirters so no advantage to either 1.

What do you mean both have squirters?
          I always thought that m42s are squirterless.

I will be going with a diesel crank and larger bore to get as close to 2.1 as i can.

Comment

Originally posted by retoropak View Post
            What do you mean both have squirters?
            I always thought that m42s are squirterless.

k
            They both have the squirters.

Comment

Originally posted by e30sh View Post
              They both have the squirters.

Great news.
              Yup i just checked realoem. They both have squirter.

That answers my question.

Thank you Sir.

Comment

Working...
              X