Massive Brakes-Issues with install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive Brakes-Issues with install

Hey everyone, I just got all of my parts from Massive this week as well as the rotors, pads, and calipers from summit. I am coming up with a problem with the rotors so far. No matter what I do, the rotors wobble as they rotate...

I made sure the top hat is seating on the hub before tightening the set screw/locating screw. Am I missing something?

Hard to tell without some clear photos?
    Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Did you try fully bolting the hat to the hub - use the stock bolts to snug it up (or nuts if you have a stud conversion)? If you just have the tiny hex key head screw on one edge holding the hat on, it's easy for it to be crooked.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Also make sure it's not getting hung up on a radius. Is the original rotor running without runout ? Check If any interface differences between old and new. Maybe the new rotor is bad.
        Last edited by digger; 02-14-2019, 03:08 PM.
        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I have a stud conversion, so ill try and run the nuts on all the way and see if that makes a difference. The rotor top hat barely sits on the lip of the hub unlike the stock rotors which really sit on pretty well.

I will update later when I have time to give that a shot.

Comment

So I figured it out thankfully. I tried putting the bolts on the studs and tightening things down. To my dismay, the wobble was still there...

That being said, I had the idea to actually remove the bolt that holds the rotor to the hub and tighten everything up. It’s smooth and strait now. The hole
            Does not opera to be aligned up properly as now that the rotor rotated properly, the bolt will not actually tighten in the hub properly. Do I actually need that bolt, or can I run without it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The rotor retaining screw is just to make life a little easier with lug bolts. Since you have a stud conversion, it’s completely unnecessary.
              2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
              2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
              1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
              1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
              - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
              1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
              1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
              Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Perfect. I'm happy now. The retaining bolt was causing a) the rotor to wobble, and b) because the rotor was wobbling my wheels were lightly scraping the caliper at a certain rotation point. All good now. Thanks everyone for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                X