135i Resources / Forums?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

135i Resources / Forums?

I just picked up an '08 135i 6 speed. Damn it's quick! What good resources are out there? What's the R3v equivalent forum for the 1 series? Any other good advice?
    Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
    A Topless Memorandum

1addicts, spoolstreet, and a few others.

I just picked up a '13 135i w/DCT.

If it hasn't been done, be prepared for the injectors, coils, HPFP (depending on mileage they got an extended warranty), wastegate rattle, electric water pump is $$$, there is a good write up on 1Addicts about all the potential issues.
    Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
    Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
    One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

R3v needs a N5x subforum.

Especially since I have a 07 335i/6 now.
      1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

+1 for the N5X subform.

Z31 summed it up pretty well. Also, be ready for the oil filter housing gasket to shit oil on everything.
        Originally posted by wholepailofwater
        Q
        :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Originally posted by MrBurgundy View Post
          +1 for the N5X subform.

Z31 summed it up pretty well. Also, be ready for the oil filter housing gasket to shit oil on everything.
          Which means replacing the belt and pulleys............reading of some quite catastrophic ramifications of that going bad.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
            Which means replacing the belt and pulleys............reading of some quite catastrophic ramifications of that going bad.
            People neglect to replace that gasket, because the intake needs to be freed from the head. So it tends to be a pricey repair.

Also, the belt tensioners tend to last about 80k. So, if that filter housing is leaking and your tensioner is weak, that belt is going to slide off.

Another frequent repair I do on N5Xs are starters.
            Originally posted by wholepailofwater
            Q
            :devil:

WTB: Dove Grey e36 Front Door Panels (2 door)

Comment

Sounds like lots of stuff will need doing. Oil leaks in the usual places. Plugs and coils have been ordered. I'll check out the belts while doing that stuff.

Sure isn't as cheap as an e30
              Drive it hard. Maintain it well.

Convertible Technical & Discussion
              A Topless Memorandum

Comment

Originally posted by mr2peak View Post
                Sounds like lots of stuff will need doing. Oil leaks in the usual places. Plugs and coils have been ordered. I'll check out the belts while doing that stuff.

Sure isn't as cheap as an e30
                Nope. The only thing that REALLY scares me is the DCT in my car. Getrag doesn't sell replacement parts, refuses to. So as far as I know, there isn't any place to have them rebuilt, if you have a problem, you either have to find a good used one or buy a new one........$9500.

However, downpipes and a tune net big power on the N54.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

.....also on early ones weak engine mounts will cause the engine to torque over and the belt to contact the subframe by the PS pump. There's a TSB on this.

....I had this happen. Belt started to shred. It's currently getting all new pulleys, belt, alternator decoupler (they will seize up and can shred belts on decel). ALSO read some PS pump pulley hardware coming loose...same outcome. I'd done my OFH/Cooler gaskets the first thing after I got the car.

I got some 50a fully rubber engine mounts from 034 Motorsports. Didn't want full poly. These were like $194 or so for the pair.

Comment

Mine only has 27k miles on it (and 750 of that was bringing it back from Indy), so I still have some time, and everything OFHG, DCT Pan, etc, everything is bone dry and the car runs great.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Whelp....time to rebuild my wastegates. I was installing the 034 Motorsport engine mounts and had to take the downpipes off to get the right side one. The front turbo wastegate is so loose I'm surprised it was still boosting. The rear one is isn't as bad, but is still bad. Turbine shafts don't have any play, etc....and I don't feel like dropping $2k on turbos, so I'm going to rebuild them with the VTT wastegate kits.

Comment

Ugh. Maintenance vs fun mods...........always no fun.

Even though the car can't put down the power it makes now, I've been considering a turbo upgrade, well, because boost! But I can't seem to find a consistent answer on what the stock clutches in the DCT can reliably handle.

The best I've found so far is just "what the stock turbo can do" and it doesn't make a ton up top, but even the BPC flash adds like 120wtq at 3k over stock.

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Ugh. Maintenance vs fun mods...........always no fun.

Even though the car can't put down the power it makes now, I've been considering a turbo upgrade, well, because boost! But I can't seem to find a consistent answer on what the stock clutches in the DCT can reliably handle.

The best I've found so far is just "what the stock turbo can do" and it doesn't make a ton up top, but even the BPC flash adds like 120wtq at 3k over stock.
                          I don't want to go bigger with the turbos really. I wanna keep myself limited to not mushrooming the cylinder bores. 400whp is fine for me. It's a bear of a car on back roads coz it's just go so much already.

It'll be a cool experience to rebuild these....another one of those things I'll become an expert on thru experience.

Comment

Yeah, it cracks me up to read the facebook bro posts. Like the car already does a 4.5 0-60, 12 sec 1/4..............how much more do you need to drive to Starbucks?

www.gutenparts.com

Comment

Originally posted by slammin.e28 View Post
                              I'm going to rebuild them with the VTT wastegate kits.
                              atta boy
                              Originally posted by priapism
                              My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                              Originally posted by shameson
                              Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
                              X