PNW Chit Chat thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1craze30 View Post
    What's your thoughts on using mahle rings on m54 pistons? They're significantly less then oem bmw, but the pistons are mahle too, so what's the real difference?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I'm not sure about Mahle rings in particular, but I know that the m54 and up pistons use a carbon coating instead of a thicker design like the m52 pistons. The m52 and before piston rings drag more and result in slightly less power, but they're also much more durable and can stand up to higher compression or boost better.

The carbon wears off and that's why there are so many E46s buring oil but not very many E36s.

Comment

Originally posted by djjerme View Post
      5.3 with lifter tick is common. Especially if it’s got the cylinder defeat system. It’s sucks and for a hp build you’ll want to remove it, which is not hard to do. I had to replace the lifters twice in a year on my Saab 9-7x with the Aluminum 5.3.

Also, if you are building a motor for pure performance and don’t want to go aftermarket heads, get the heads of a 5.3 in the GMT360 body (after they switched to the aluminum block in ‘06). They put the large port/large valve heads on them and flow miles better than even the car LSx” ones. When I parted out the motor in mine I had tons of people trying to buy the heads because of that fact..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you talking about the 799 heads? You might be interested in this.
      Originally posted by Sonny
      I am a meme for our community.

Comment

Does anyone, in the Portland area, have a trailing arm bushing removal tool, that I can borrow for a day or two? I lent mine to someone, and they never returned it.......and of course, I realize it, just as I need to do a rear end overhaul, for a customer. Annoying.
        '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Just applied to graduate today (spring 2019).

I'll be out in 4 at least, I haven't really enjoyed school
          Hank Ahrens
          1984 Alpine Coupe
          1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post

I hate school, im probably 2 more semesters from graduating.
            1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
            willschnitz

Comment

Life after school wasn't all that awesome, either...

t
              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post

t
                Yup just sucks more and more.

I just couldn't resist picking up another m54b30 rotating assembly.

Worked from midnight to 8am, then headed to pick and pull at 10, pulled assembly and now I'm gonna sleep.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

sigpic

Comment

t
                  Did we just become best friends? It's like you're in my head, or something.
                  '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

t
                    Aint this the truth.....
                    Dumpster Fire Pilot

Comment

Originally posted by ahrensNW View Post

Congrats! Were you were a Freshman when I bought your car? Time flies. Did you stick with architecture?
                      '91 325i

Comment

I've honestly enjoyed most of the work I've done over school, problem is I never have money while at classes.

I hated the porter job the most, Working at the Planner company was actually easy and really chill. Made way above minimum wage to sit there and type all day.
                        1989 BMW 325is | 2019 Ford Ranger FX4
                        willschnitz

Comment

Originally posted by Austin! View Post
                          Did we just become best friends? It's like you're in my head, or something.
                          Uh- oh. That may explain why I'm not in my OWN very often, these days.

t
                          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I have an extremely clean black comfort interior for sale if anyone local is looking for one :)

Comment

Originally posted by Metallated View Post
                              I have an extremely clean black comfort interior for sale if anyone local is looking for one :)
                              Trade you for a natur sport interior ;D
                              Hank Ahrens
                              1984 Alpine Coupe
                              1978 911sc

Comment

Originally posted by Nader393 View Post
                                Congrats! Were you were a Freshman when I bought your car? Time flies. Did you stick with architecture?
                                Yup haha, I believe that was fall of my freshman year. Still the only e30 I miss. Recently bought a Carrera along with my brother, yours was inspiring.

Majoring in environmental science and terrestrial resource management now. I should be able to make a decent career out of it.
                                Hank Ahrens
                                1984 Alpine Coupe
                                1978 911sc

Comment

Working...
                                X