borbet type H, thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

borbet type H, thoughts?

I'm considering getting some type H 15" inch just because I'm saving up for college right now (IE poor) and am tired of bottlecaps. Sure they're cheap...

1. But I've heard these are 21lbs, is this true?
    2. What is the effect of these heavy wheels on my driving?
    3. What do stock bottlecaps weight?

'88 325is
    VP UT of Austin Autoholics
    BMWCCA 380364

21lbs for a 15" rim would be a feat... thats fucking heavy for a 15". Bottlecaps are 15lbs. Heavy rims make acceleration and braking a little less effective.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

15x7" Borbet H's weigh 19.5lbs.

Holy shit I scare myself.

Comment

Let's say some dastardly fiend snuck up to my house one night and replaced my bottlecaps with these borbets, and I was so tired that morning I didn't notice I had new wheels when I walked up to my car. Would I notice the difference just driving around?

'88 325is
        VP UT of Austin Autoholics
        BMWCCA 380364

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC
          Let's say some dastardly fiend snuck up to my house one night and replaced my bottlecaps with these borbets, and I was so tired that morning I didn't notice I had new wheels when I walked up to my car. Would I notice the difference just driving around?
          Yes, less acceleration and a little more harshness from smaller profile tires.

RISING EDGE

Comment

bottle caps aren't so bad I'd replace them with just whatever I could get cheap. Clean them up - maybe paint them black or graphite.
            Current Cars
            2014 M235i
            2009 R56 Cooper S
            1998 M3
            1997 M3

Comment

atleast try to get ahold of some basketweaves, clean them up, lose the centercap, and maybe powdercoat them, hell maybe even just rattle can them black.

Comment

definitely go for some 'weaves with 205/60/14s.
                --Will

Comment

Basketweaves are lighter than bottlecaps at 14lbs.

RISING EDGE

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan325iC
                    definetly, there is a huge difference in feel between my 14" 'weaves and my 15" 'weaves, and there is only about a 5-lb difference between them (entire wheel and tire combo). adding 5lbs of just wheel weight plus a wider tire (more weight) plus the mass of the 15" wheel is further out - you'll notice slower acceleration and less effective braking. It took me about 2 weeks to get used to the 15" weaves after driving around on the 14" for 3 months..

however, if you're just driving on the street, and you're not racing stoplight to stoplight, it won't matter a whole lot. you can always get something lighter later on if you want to go racing..
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

my 87 325i convertible came with these. I love the look of them. I get a lot of compliments on them. (and the car for that matter)

Comment

I have a set of 14 inch Schmidt Moderline Revolution with tires for sale if you are interested. 14 inch is a rare size for this wheel. Direct fit. No rash. Spin true and ready to go. Tires have 85% tread. PM if interested.

Comment

Wow - a 14 year bounce :)

I had some 15 inch type H reps on my car for a while (I got them free with new tyres, so ran them till the tyres wore out). Can't say I'm a huge fan - the 14 inch weaves look better. My 16 inch Alpina reps better again.

On the wheel weight front, can't say I've noticed a huge difference in acceleration between the 14s, 15s or 16s. Ride and handling are definitely different though. The 16s are much firmer than the 14s.

14 inch weaves

15 inch Type H

16 inch RG Alpina reps
                          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

yea... i know... didnt realize that until later... oh well.

Comment

Working...
                            X