The Jagerbombers: 24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Jagerbombers: 24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

I figured I'd start a thread to document the build of our 24 Hours of Lemons e30. Jason (jhower08 ) and I picked up this car in August 2014. We recruited two local friends, Ian and Chris, as drivers and co-owners, so we get to split everything 4 ways, which makes it very affordable. It was an automatic 89 325i sedan, 100% rust free. 4.10 LSD. Ugly beige cloth comfort interior. Paint was shot, but the body is very straight and solid. It's actually a shame to tear it apart for a Lemons car. The head was rebuilt a year ago, so the engine should be good to go for a long time.

Our theme is 'The Jagerbombers'. The design will be half Jager, half Red Bull. Like so:

The car had an issue where it would barely stay running, and missed very badly under load until after it was running for about an hour and *completely* warmed up. So we got it cheap: $600. Turned out that the front lift bracket between the timing cover and head was missing, so the timing cover was crooked when bolted down, causing the distributor to be crooked. The car never ran right since the head was rebuilt, and that's why. Sucks for the PO, but good for us! Installed the bracket and a new distributor, and the car runs 100%. During the PO's troubleshooting, he replaced a ton of fuel/ignition parts, so we have a lot of new parts on the car.

We traded the entire interior for a 5 speed swap soon after we bought it. We then pulled the engine, cleaned it up, and threw some new gaskets/seals on it.

Chris is a good fabricator, so he tackled the cage. We ordered a kit from rollcagecomponents.com, which required a fair bit of work to fit. That said, it is a very good starter kit, and worth the money. The cage is tacked in place and ready for final welding. That's where we are as of today. Hoping to have the cage finished in a few weeks, then we'll start getting the car back together.

Last edited by JGood; 09-28-2016, 07:45 AM.
    85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
    e30 restoration and V8 swap
    24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Yes! This is awesome!!!!
    Originally posted by LJ851
    kingston is the play by play announcer for this thread.
    ‘Tis by the grace of God that my cars run!

Originally posted by unloadedak
    #teamross
    Siobhan's Build Thread - UPDATED!

Comment

Jagerbombs... me and those go way back... good build

1989 325is l 1984 euro 320i l 1970 2002 Racecar
      1991 318i 4dr slick top

Euro spec 320i/Alpina B6 3.5 project(the never ending saga)
      Vintage race car revival (2002 content)
      Mtech 2 turbo restoration
      Brilliantrot slick top "build"

Comment

Awesome theme!

Comment

This is going to be amazing!
          '86 Delphin 335i turbo -
          '88 Schwarz 325i -
          '94 w124 e420 -
          Turbo m30b35 Build Thread

Comment

Looks like this is going to be an awesome build. And for $600, you stole that thing. Love the Jagerbomb theme as well. Very creative.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ThatOneEuroE30 View Post
              Jagerbombs... me and those go way back... good build
              For some reason I thought you were 19 or 20.
              How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

I love everything about this so far. Subscribed and can't wait for more updates.

Comment

I love 24 hours of lemons builds, used to go to the races back when they ran at summit point.
                  My Garage
                  2001 Z3 2.5i Steel Gray/Black (Lexi)
                  1988 325ix Diamond Schwartz/Black (Izzy)
                  1989 325i Cirrus Blue/Houndstooth (Stitch)
                  Feedback

Instagram: Stone.Hopkins

Comment

Originally posted by stonea View Post
                    I love 24 hours of lemons builds, used to go to the races back when they ran at summit point.
                    I have no idea why they stopped running there, Shenandoah is one of my favorite tracks. There's only 1 NJMP event on the schedule this year too, so that's the only race within 6 hours of me for the entire season. We're looking into Chumpcar so we can do another event this year.

Comment

Love this build. I started prepping an old Saturn I had for Lemons years ago but didn't have any partners so I didn't finish it. Not far from you are guys on the Rally Baby team (out of Doylestown). They do quite a bit of racing around here in a few different clubs, it might be worth linking up with them.

24 Hours of LeMons, (Chump, AER and whatever else they'll let us do) racing team, "Rally Baby Racing [has] evolved from a team campaigning a surprisingly good Audi 4000 to the LeMons version of an...
                      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rzerob View Post
                        For some reason I thought you were 19 or 20.
                        I also thought this.
                        Originally posted by Andy.B
                        Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                        1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                        ~~~~~~~~~~
                        I was born on 3/25…
                        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post
                          Love this build. I started prepping an old Saturn I had for Lemons years ago but didn't have any partners so I didn't finish it. Not far from you are guys on the Rally Baby team (out of Doylestown). They do quite a bit of racing around here in a few different clubs, it might be worth linking up with them.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rallybaby/

Yeah, I've actually done a few Lemons events in a 100whp Volvo 240, and the Rally Baby e30 passed me approximately once every 5 laps haha. We're hoping to be on par with some of those faster cars with the e30.

Last year we were actually up to 7th place with the Volvo, with an hour to go on Sunday, before an MR2 ended our day via a significant impact.

Comment

I'm super excited for this build.
                            1991 325i - "Scambles" The Daily Driven lightly modded.
                            1988 Mazda RX-7 TII "Mako" The Free Dorito
                            bacon by Jared Laabs, on Flickr

Comment

Cage is finished. Engine is assembled with clutch/trans and ready to drop in. Still a ton of work to do in a very short amount of time... We haven't even touched paint/graphics yet, seat mounting, suspension/brakes, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X