Generator, brake fluid, and park brake lights glowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator, brake fluid, and park brake lights glowing

When my lights are on and engine at idle and up to 1000rpm, the generator, brake fluid, and park brake lights on the dash glow. They’re not full bright but just glow a bit until I rev the engine past 1200rpm.

Does this mean my alternator is going out? Or is there a voltage regulator or relay somewhere going bad?

I guess its obvious that my alternator is weak but I’m looking for confirmation and advice on it so that I can fix the car the way it should be. Any further info y’all have is appreciated.

The car is an ‘89 325i.
    My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
    I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Brushes are worn, depending on exactly which alternator you have in the car they may be easily replaceable, or you may end up needing a new alternator. Also inspect your alt ground, if one exists, while you are there, and if it looks fishy just replace it.

Comment

Stick a multimeter on the battery and see how many volts the alternator is throwing. Generally I see mid-high 13's on an e30 at the battery, 14+ right on the alternator.
      john@m20guru.com
      Links:
      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Thanks gents. I did the Bentley tests and the voltage was on the low side of spec. The brushes in the alt were approx 7mm.

I’m throwing a new alt on her this morning. It’s the Oreilly $89 reman unit and will see if things settle. I don’t mind putting new parts on the car, I’m just a little paranoid when its possible that there is a more confusing deeper problem.
        My son has the 1987 325e, 2 door, 5speed
        I daily the 1989 325i, 4 door, 5speed

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
          Thanks gents. I did the Bentley tests and the voltage was on the low side of spec. The brushes in the alt were approx 7mm.

I’m throwing a new alt on her this morning. It’s the Oreilly $89 reman unit and will see if things settle. I don’t mind putting new parts on the car, I’m just a little paranoid when its possible that there is a more confusing deeper problem.

Check the brushes before installing. I have had many an alternator that was "rebuilt" where they put the old brushes back in. SMH
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:
          Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Originally posted by 325e '87 View Post
            When my lights are on and engine at idle and up to 1000rpm, the generator, brake fluid, and park brake lights on the dash glow. They’re not full bright but just glow a bit until I rev the engine past 1200rpm.

Does this mean my alternator is going out? Or is there a voltage regulator or relay somewhere going bad?

I guess its obvious that my alternator is weak but I’m looking for confirmation and advice on it so that I can fix the car the way it should be. Any further info y’all have is appreciated.

The car is an ‘89 325i.
            I have seen a bad ground cause lights to dimly glow in other cases. Maybe check the ground and any related connectors for good clean connections.

Comment

Working...
            X