M3 head retorque spec ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M3 head retorque spec ?

I’m ready to install my cyl head this weekend, 88’ M3 ,stock 2.3 . I had a pie shaped burn on(1) #1 cyl ,that I replaced . I’ve got the torque angle tool & have done this awhile back on another product. Can’t find torques or how to on utube, any go to sites or info on this install ? Thanks

[ATTACH]117657[/ATTACH]
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

M3 torque spects

Thank you for that I that info. What is torque ## for those Allen cam tower bolts , angle torque as well ? Where Is all this info w/pics on M3 at ? Thanks ,Joe

Comment

M3 head torque spects

That pic of the head & torque , was it in the factory shop Manual ? I had that ringed book about 10 years ago ! What was I thinking to have sold it

Comment

I have complied tons of data on them over the last decade or so. I have a small independent shop that ~90% of the clientele is e30.

Didn't find anything specific on the cam bolts, it just references the generic BMW TQ values based on thread diameter and length.
          john@m20guru.com
          Links:

Comment

Cam tower Allen bolts

No numbers from them ? Breaking it down it felt like 30-35lbs . Are these angle torqued too , does not seem high enough What ## do you use on an assembled motor . Still don’t know why I sold my shop manual ? Thanks again for you help

Comment

For bolting the cam tray to the head

7mm bolts, 15 Nm (11 ft lbs.)
              8mm nuts, 21 Nm (15 ft lbs.)

Comment

Hi
                50nm,80nm and then wait for 15 minutes and final torque to 100nm, does not require retorting after engine run.

Kindly supplied buy top guy Pierre.

Last edited by NZM3; 11-01-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

S14 head toques

Thanks guys for the info !

Comment

Originally posted by NZM3 View Post
                    does not require retorting after engine run.
                    I always double check head bolts that are not TTY after a few heat cycles. TTY bolts that stretch keep the head pulled in as the gasket compresses. A bolt that goes to a TQ value only will lose clamping force as the gasket compresses.
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:

Comment

thanks guy for great infomation

Comment

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
                        I always double check head bolts that are not TTY after a few heat cycles. TTY bolts that stretch keep the head pulled in as the gasket compresses. A bolt that goes to a TQ value only will lose clamping force as the gasket compresses.

Yes I am due to do that on my S14. But not like most engines incl the M20, to retorque the head bolts the camtray needs to come off. Not a 5 min job....

Im running ARP studs and retorqued mine after waiting overnight, however I woud like to redo them now the engine has run and got hot... almost 1000kms.
                        Pulling my hair out with all these friggin BMW's:
                        2000 M5 Winter beater
                        1984 318i Coupe 2.5 S14 going in the car below.
                        1988 M3 Lachssilber: I'm the second owner, currently recommissioning.

Comment

Working...
                        X