Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert S50!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another for the Collection - Mtech 2 Vert S50!!

Whats up guys, I'm back again with an exciting update and build, well at least to me anyways. I always regretted selling my Mtech 2 Convertible nearly 3 years ago but after tons of searching I finally got my hands on another. I'd been searching for another Mtech over the past 2 years with no real luck but was finally able to work out a deal with the seller of this one and picked it up from him and his girlfriend. I could have very well still owned my last Mtech but on the bright side of things unlike my last one this one still has decent white interior and is a lower millage example.
    For those interested or want a refresh on the build it can be found here:

Story time on how I got it for those interested, buying this car wasn't as simple as a Craigslist find. A close buddy of mine works a job which requires him to do a ton of driving all throughout the Bay Area, specifically in a lot of residential neighborhoods. Basically a year back he found this Mtech sitting on the street un registered in Palo Alto, a city in the Bay Area. I was kinda surprised someone would even own a e30 in that neighborhood just because of the fact most people that live here have a good amount money and tend to drive newer cars. It was parked right on the street in a small "cul de sac" surrounded by some of the most expensive houses you could imagine. The window was cracked open a bit so I decided to toss a note on the drivers seat. Months went by with no phone call about the car, I wasn't surprised. I've left notes on various cars in the past and never get calls back.

However.. after 4 months or so since leaving that note I get a phone call from the fellow who owns the car. Extremely excited, I go strait down to the car the next day and give it a nice look around. It had a few issues but nothing serious, all common e30 things such as a few cracks in the dash, ect. I knew I had to have it and brought cash with me to seal the deal. Unfortunately it didn't look like he felt the same way because when I tried to made a deal, even though he put out a asking price over the phone, he told me the car was in his girlfriends name since he bought it for her 10 years ago and had to get her approval before the sale.

Months go by with no updates since seeing him that day, I tried calling him numerous times but he never answered any of my phone calls or text's.. Until last week, I got a text out of the blue saying he was finally ready to sell and got in contact with his girlfriend. I rushed down to see him the next day and sealed the deal before he could change his mind and back out like he did last time. I waited over a year total to get my hands on this thing and funny enough the car hadn't moved a inch since I last parked it after that test drive about 5 months earlier. I payed a little much for this thing, I don't really want to say the price I payed, but for reference you probably could have bought a perfectly running 5 speed coupe at r3v asking prices. I couldn't even drive this thing home, the timing belts from 99'!!

All in all, the issues the car has (such as a small coolant leak from the water pump gasket, timing belt age, intake boot cracked, ect) are all issues I would have replaced as preventive maintenance which I always do when I buy a new e30, so I'm OK with the price I payed.. Parts are cheap, its the labor that cost's. Plus not to mention it only has 104k miles and a very clean body.

Not sure what the plans are for it yet but I already placed a order on FCP to get the mechanical bits sorted out, after that it'll be suspension and giving the paint a nice detail!

Here's where the car sat for over a year that I know of, the guy told me he drove the car maybe 2,000 miles since buying it 10 years back.

Unloading it at the house:

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 09-28-2018, 08:10 PM.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
    1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
    1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
    1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
    1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
    1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
    Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
    1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
    1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

this thing is so clean!
    -Brad, AlphaTeam Motorwerks, LLC
    91' 318iS - S54/6MT Swapped
    08' E90 M3 6MT - Daily
    04' Chevy Duramax CCLB - Work Truck/Hauler

Originally posted by IronJoe
    Alpha Team: running through e30s, gringo icebergs, and 19 yr olds.

Originally posted by 2mAn
    Brads a standup guy even though he likes buttsex

Comment

Damn dude. You're addicted to verts. lol I am glad your fixing them up, Good luck and I know it will end well in your hands. I always have good time reading your build threads on cars no matter how simple or crazy you get.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!

Comment

Nice find. Congrats! The body looks perectly straight and the interior can be made near pristine with a little work. The autostatic is another story ��
          sigpic
          January 2012 COTM

Comment

Originally posted by fight4life28 View Post
            Damn dude. You're addicted to verts. lol I am glad your fixing them up, Good luck and I know it will end well in your hands. I always have good time reading your build threads on cars no matter how simple or crazy you get.
            Haha glad to hear some people follow my builds! Verts are the best, there always highly optioned and have the potential to get the ladys :D

Originally posted by robrez View Post
            Nice find. Congrats! The body looks perectly straight and the interior can be made near pristine with a little work. The autostatic is another story ��
            Thank you sir! I'm a little worried about the rear seats since there a little more worn then the fronts, I think water must have gotten on them or something. At least the front seats are in really good shape still.

Originally posted by spiDmang View Post
            this thing is so clean!
            Thanks!

Originally posted by mike.bmw View Post
            Looking forward to seeing what you do with this one!
            Thanks man! First things first, get it up to date on maintenance and bring it in to get it smog'd.
            Last edited by KIRIEIW; 08-15-2017, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Looks like a nice find...all stock, unmolested. Pretty clean for a car that's been sitting. Did you ask him about the service records/timing belt? Maybe that's an old sticker and it was done later.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
              88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
              89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
              91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Subscribed. Very clean canvas. You could always sand the rear seats and re-dye them. I assume the green one will soon be for sale? I would swap the suspension bits first.
                How to remove, install or convert to pop out windows
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=297611

Could be better, could be worse.

Comment

wow my vert had the same mileage when i bought it! nice find :up:
                  IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Comment

Based on your last Mtech vert I can't wait to see where you take this one! Very nice.
                    1988 325 Lachs Sedan SOLD

1989 325i Bronzit Beige 2 Door
                    SOLD

2018 Volkswagen Alltrack SE DSG
                    Past:1988 325iS Lachs 5 Speed

Comment

Nice pick up man! Look forward to seeing updates!
                      Bmw CCA # 490080

1995 525iA RIP
                      1987 325e Cirrusblau-Metallic/Pacific Blue (Daily)

DSC_1725 by Matthew Johnson, on Flickr

Comment

Very nice, looking forward to the refresh!

[IMG]https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/my350z.com-vbulletin/550x225/80-parkerbsig_5096690e71d912ec1addc4a84e99c374685fc03 8.jpg[/IMG

Comment

Great find.
                          Will follow the progress.
                          Jimmy P.
                          87 E30 M3 Prodrive British Touring Car
                          88 E30 M3 Zinnoberot - Garage Queen
                          88 E30 M3 Lachsilber - SCCA SPU #98
                          92 M Technic Cabrio - S14 Powered!
                          98 318Ti Morea Green
                          04 Ford F350 Dually Tow Machine

Comment

Thanks guys! Well I've been busy lately like usual and haven't had a chance to update the thread. I made a parts order with FCP on Saturday so bassically at this point I'm waiting patiently for all the parts to arrive. As for the timing belt, yup what the sticker shows is definitely the last time the belt was replaced. I even asked the owner what he did to the car and under his ownership and said he had only replaced a few fuel lines and cleaned out the gas tank (or something along those lines). He found the car similar to how I did, not advertised. I guess he went to a garage sale back in 2007 and asked about this thing sitting in the driveway and worked out a deal. Also, yes I think I'm going to be forced to list my green convertible up for sale shortly to make room for this project, however I plan on buying all new suspension for the Mtech rather then swap everything over. The Mtech wants all new OE Lemforder ball joints :D

Ok so other news, I did manage to get a few things done while waiting on parts. First off, I cleaned the engine bay water jacket or whatever you'd like to call it, it was filthy. I was actually under the impression the passenger side fender was replaced but turned out there was just a ton of dirt covering the VIN sticker!

The other thing I did, and don't ask me how I did it.. I got the electric top working again. I lubed all the pivoting points before even attempting to put the top down and it moved about 3 inches and stopped. Literally, nothing would happen when you clicked the button after trying, I thought I burnt up the control unit/ one of the internal relays or something. I ended up disengaged all the motors to the top, lubed everything up a second time, and the most import step, messed with the rear tonneau cover microswitches and what do you know, I got it all working again by luck. It's still a little finicky, the top material really fights being creased/folded most likely since the top hasn't been folded down in who know's how many years, but it's all there for now and once it's folded down a few more times it should run smoothly. Still though, I may even convert it to manual just because the electric top seems to be slower since you still need to get out of the car to make sure the tops material and rear window folder down/ creased themselves in the right places.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 08-17-2017, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Alright so nearly 2 weeks later since buying the car I was finally able to get my hands on it and start getting some work done. Man I wish FCP would have got that delivery in last weekend so I could have had all this done but what are you going to do.

Tons of new parts now in the car, actually it was stalling when I first bought it and I found the intake boot was torn.. Since putting in the new boot it's been idling great now. Actually I still haven't taken it for a test spin yet since I still want to flush the cooling system one more time, I'm sure it hasn't been done in 15 years+ since the last timing belt service. Also interesting enough I found out the car still had the OEM water pump installed.

Quick run down of the work preformed yesterday;
                              -Timing belt/ Tensioner
                              -Water Pump
                              -Belts
                              -Mostly all new coolant hoses
                              -New Thermostat
                              -New Breather hose
                              -New Camshaft Seal
                              -New Tranny cooler O Rings
                              -Back flushed radiator
                              -Back flushed heater core
                              -Cleaned Expansion Tank
                              -Painted Coolant pipe
                              -New Cap/ Rotor
                              -New throttle body gasket and Coolant Gasket
                              -New Intake boot
                              -Cleaned ICV

I was shocked how clean the throttle body was.. Barely any oil build up!

The airfilter looked brand new so I ended up re using it.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 08-28-2017, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X