Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Koni/ Ground Control shocks Read Before Installing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so how was the ride with the stock strut mount and the GC/Koni setup?

I need to check my Konis to see what size the top nut is, and also need to find the collars, but I think already... fun surprises. thanks for making this thread
    Simon
    Current Cars:
    -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Craftsman socket are overly thick. Other name brands tend to be thinner and fit fine. I have an off-brand set of deep wells that fit as well. Just have to find a socket that is slimmer, or buy one and turn/grind it down to fit.

Oh, and the wrench they were talking about was probably something like this:

This allows you to get an hex wrench in there to hold the strut shaft from turning. Technically you aren't supposed to use an impact, but I always have and haven't had an issue. :shrug:

Comment

I measured way back in the day, not even a thin wall socket is going to fit in this situation. The opening is just too small no mater what you do to tighten that 22mm top nut using the stock top mounts.

2Man, had no complaints with the set up at all. Eventually I did pick up a set of GC camber plates though. Really the only reason I picked them up was for the simple reason that the camber plates lower your car an additional 12mm in comparison to the normal top mounts (well plus you can adjust the camber to get a little less tire wear).

Click image for larger version

Name:	CCPE30TOURING-3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	7201074

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
        1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
        1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
        1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
        1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
        1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
        Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
        1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
        1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

But with Camber plates versus the regular strut mounts aren’t you introduced a lot more noise and road feel into the cabin? Makes sense to “tighten it up” for a race at but I’m aiming for a good street setup.... yes I could’ve done a spring / shock combo but my GC/ Koni coilover setup is almost the same price so why not? Plus I can fine tune the rates to perfectly suit me
          Simon
          Current Cars:
          -1999 996.1 911 4/98 3.8L 6-Speed, 21st Century Beetle

Make R3V Great Again -2020

Comment

Just to follow up, I used Sachs upper mounts PN 31331139452. They fit a 22mm socket just fine.

Comment

If you read closely they are actually Boge-Sachs :)
              Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
              Alice the Time Capsule
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
              87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by 2mAn View Post
                But with Camber plates versus the regular strut mounts aren’t you introduced a lot more noise and road feel into the cabin? Makes sense to “tighten it up” for a race at but I’m aiming for a good street setup.... yes I could’ve done a spring / shock combo but my GC/ Koni coilover setup is almost the same price so why not? Plus I can fine tune the rates to perfectly suit me

Nope, no noticeable difference in noise/ anything. If your looking to save a few bucks though I'd say just skip the camber plates and instead put some new top mounts in.

Also IMO you might as well do the GC kit route over a spring/ shock set up like you said. GC is a little more money of course but it's nice you'll have the adjustment, plus you have multiple options for spring rates.

Side note, If you don't shorten the strut housings.. make sure at the very least you cut off the stock spring perchs and weld on the GC perches. I originally assembled everything without cutting the stock perches off but it didn't lower the car enough. Pics bellow from my old coupe on OEM top hats, non shortened strut housings, and GC spring perches.

Last edited by KIRIEIW; 03-17-2019, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  If you read closely they are actually Boge-Sachs :)

+1, I learned quite a bit over the years since making this thread :D.

Comment

This is an older thread but I am very happy I checked the fit of my Koni Orange STR.T inserts to my Sachs strut top mounts prior to taking the car apart.

Like the OP, the my Koni Orange (non adjustable) inserts use a 22mm top nut. A 22mm impact socket will not clear these Sachs brand strut mounts in which the opening is approx 31.5mm / 1.235"

Does anyone know if a 22mm socket will clear these Meyle strut mounts?

Comment

Just an FYI...using an impact will void your warranty....and they do seem to know when you send it in for repair.
                      Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                      Alice the Time Capsule
                      http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                      87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

i know this thread is old but i just found it. I had a similar situation (19mm vs 22mm special socket).

I have the Sachs strut mounts and one of them is defective. Did you notice the strut mount wobble before you put it back in the car? I made a video here:

Really disappointing to be making progress and have to stop and wait on a new strut mount.

Comment

Originally posted by RaabsIn513 View Post

Really disappointing to be making progress and have to stop and wait on a new strut mount.
                          This guy had the same problem with the Sachs mounts.

Comment

Originally posted by RaabsIn513 View Post
                            i know this thread is old but i just found it. I had a similar situation (19mm vs 22mm special socket).

I have the Sachs strut mounts and one of them is defective. Did you notice the strut mount wobble before you put it back in the car? I made a video here:

Did you maybe misplace a washer during re-assembly? Since you need to transfer over your old washer(s) to the new top mounts/ shocks its easy to misplace one.

Comment

Originally posted by KIRIEIW View Post

Did you maybe misplace a washer during re-assembly? Since you need to transfer over your old washer(s) to the new top mounts/ shocks its easy to misplace one.
                              I'm confident I didn't misplace any hardware. The Koni Orange struts are a larger diameter 22mm nut vs 19mm which seems to be the reason the one washer below the strut nut didn't fit

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post
                                This guy had the same problem with the Sachs mounts.
                                I recall seeing this video prior to ordering my parts. I guess I was rolling the dice.

Comment

Working...
                                X