Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looks like a Capacitor and it’s broken, Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a Capacitor and it’s broken, Help!

I'm in the middle of doing my motor re-build and I'm trying to eliminate all the quirks in the engine bay while I have everything taken apart. Pictured below are what looks like capacitors (blue cylinders) to me, one side of them has severed off. The wires with the red arrow pointing to them look to me to be the ones that were once connected. There are three wires hanging there but only two caps. Then there are two other wires passing through the firewall there also. They don't look like OEM wires though, i have a hunch they once went to an alarm horn or something of that nature.

Where can i get new parts to fix this? (I could not find them on realoem.com)

There is also a similar one coming off the starter that is also broken..

Thanks!

-Eric
    1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Oh shit, your flux capacitor has disconnected, fix it now. Duct tape and bondo and your good to go.

But seriously IDK what that is.
    Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

looks like bass blockers to me... why are they in your engine bay?
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC View Post
        looks like bass blockers to me... why are they in your engine bay?

^Dang your right, it really looks like a bass blocker. The car did have an ancient system in it when I got it. Still why in the hell would this be placed where it is...
        1988SuperETA|Full I component swap|19lb injectors|Schrick 272|MSIIExtraBeta20071020|GM DIS Wasted Spark|LC-1

Comment

Yeah... when I saw them I thought bass blockers too. Who knows what they are for... what does the wiring that goes through the fire wall goto?

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
          https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Can anybody check and see if they have anything like this on their car?

Thanks,

-Eric

Comment

OK, so let me save you the hassle...

Those are, in fact, bi-polar capacitors, I would bet in the range of 150mF, likely 50VDC. Do me a favor and peel off some of the blue and check, would you?

Way back in the 70's, lots of installs had issues like "Brake Pop" where stepping on the brake made a "pop" through the speakers. Annoying, to say the least. things like alternator whine, ground loops, clicks and pops were such an incredible annoyance that many installers (like me, although I started in 1980) carried POLARIZED (as in NOT Bi-Polar) caps in values generally above 2300mF (typically 20VDC) ranging to about 10,000mF just to attempt to shunt the voltage surge to ground, desperately trying to remove the huge "THUNK" form our favorite Journey song.

So what has happened in your case is some "OG Installer" told some "FNG" installer to "Put a cap on that wire" in an attempt to fix some random noise.

Unfortunately, that same FNG installer did not pay attention to what type, voltage or value needed to actually fix the issue. So, in other words: FAILURE.

99% of the professional installers in the world really have no clue what they are doing.

Some days I am included in that 99%, but I sure try not to be.

Luke

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Luke,
                You hit the nail on the head with this one. I cut them open to find, 16v 4700uf...

Do you think my CD player will still sound ok if I took all of them out?

Thanks!

-Eric

Comment

Eric, do you still have amplifiers?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

I do have an amp. I put my motor back in last night and got the car working. I left the caps. out and now I can tell the speakers make a wine as the rpm go up. When i put new ones in how many do you think i need and where is the best place to put them?

Thanks,

-Eric

Comment

Eric, the E30 is the ONLY car I recommend grounding at the battery. Try that first, and make sure the RCAs are run up the drivers side. I also run a 16 ga ground wire to the back of the deck, just in case.

If anything, a cap will only stop a "POP", not a whine. try the battery ground first.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

I'm replying to this thread 12 years later, because I'm cleaning up my internet loose ends. After the advice from Luke about running the RCA lines more carefully, the whine within the audio is a thing of the past. I build it a tuned areo port box around an alpine type r 12 on with a Memphis 800w rms am and proceeded to crack my windshield. My engineering degree working to it's finest.

Luke is a freaking guru, trust this man!

Best Regards from Denmark,
                        -Eric

Now I live in the land of euro BMW's it's totally different. :)

Comment

Originally posted by E30Eric View Post
                          Luke is a freaking guru, trust this man!
                          Did Luke put you up to this? Lol - he's kinda screwed dozens of people over.
                          Originally posted by Matt-B
                          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                          X