Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introduction time!

G'day ladies and Bruces!

My name is Steve, and I've just picked up a 86 318i with, by reading around quickly, a sacrilege transplant. At the heart of this new acquisition is a SR20 :eeek: But I still plan to keep it as a BMW soul... one way or another.

Anyway, I picked up the car today (if any of you know Gooda/ipswhich in brisbane you'll know what I went through - The Stereo types are TRUE!!) and its in all sorts of a mess.
    Good points are its a coupe, with a sr20 bolted in and a s14a manual box. Its got a nice set of BBS knock offs that are hella flush, and it sits on its bottom.
    Bad points are everything else. Cut loom, no interior, no brakes (seriously the booster is fucking missing!), pretty much every seal doesnt exist, and things are zip tied on. True Ipswich spec.

The 6 month plan is to get the rust in the boot sil fixed, get some form of brakes in there (High mount and dump pipe leave about 4inches of space from firewall, any ideas for a booster that fits?), rewire the engine with a Haltech and dash, then hit the track for some sprint days, and maybe learn how to drift! yeah... a big maybe.

Anyway right now I'm trying to find a good source of info for the swap, and searching for parts that I'll need to get everything running, I have a feeling it'll be a long process!

Still, its nice to be here. I'll try to keep the stupid questions to a minimum and search first. I hope at the end of it all I can help contribue back to the forums here!

Steve

Welcome mate, sounds like a fun acquisition zip ties & all.

Hard to say about the booster you could look a Suzuki booster they are pretty compact but 4" doesn't give much room for anything. You could always get a booster delete plate & just go full manual brakes you'll just end up with huge legs Lee at massivebrakes.com does a delete plate.

there is a wrecker up in Brisbane by the name of http://bmwreck.com/, have a suss through him for parts for the interior.

There is more & more Sr swapped e30's popping up in Aus at the moment(which is not a bad thing its a pretty solid swap), I have a guy near where I live with an Sr e30 & a 1UZ e30 I hate him more & more every day lol

cheers
    ant

Comment

Pics!!

Gallery
      Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like isaw.

Comment

Want to get rid of the wheels??

Comment

you can buy them new from wheel warehouse.
          Just a little project im working on
          - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Looks like a nice base to start from. Check out newman's rb26 build on e30tech for some inspiration http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75962

Comment

I'll keep the wheels, will need to do a little work to get the guards sitting right tho, they still scuff a bit ;)

Anyway, making progress slowly. Have an idea about how to mount the brakes now, have looked at the rust (there is a bit in the boot :( ) and labeled the wiring on the engine side of things, also picked up a proper ECU. I'll look into a power FC or something similar as well I think...

Anyway, I'll start a built thread sometime soon.

Comment

Welcome!!

Nice stance (y)

Comment

Well a little update.

Brakes are done, found a vitara booster that small enough to fit in and just did a bit of a hack to get it in, but its there. redid all the lines myself (fun fun) and have wired up all the electrics. so far so good. Will be trying to crank it over next weekend.

Am waiting on someone to come and do a full exhaust for me, so will have to see how that turns out this week, then onto swapping out cv boots and bolting in a few interior bits.

Its coming alone... slowly. :)

Comment

Working...
                  X