E34 M5 Market

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E34 M5 Market

A buddy of mine has a black on black e34 m5 with 200k miles. I'm trying to understand the market for the car as he's unsure whether to sell or part it.

His will need a chain based on mileage, headliner, door panels and seats (not torn but leather is hard). It does come with a built diff and I believe e31 4 pot calipers.

What is the market for a car like this 5-6K as is and 7500 with a new chain? With all new interior maybe 9k? It just seems like, unlike e30s, e34 M5's value is heavily dependent on mileage.

Thoughts/opinions?
    Build Threads:
    Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Pics...for the inquiring minds :)
    '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by e30austin View Post
      Pics...for the inquiring minds :)
      It’s under a car cover and he doesn’t want to sell it cheap :(
      Build Threads:
      Pamela/Bella/Betty/325ix/5-Lug Seta/S60R/Miata ITB/Miata Turbo/Miata VVT/951/325xi-6

Comment

What sucks is that E34s are such baskets, even though it's an M5 it will have ALL of the regular E34 issues PLUS expensive S38 issues on top of it all. Take a look at the E34 540i 6speed market to get an idea as well, very much dependent not only on mileage but history and maintenance records .
        Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

If its a borderline part out candidate I'd say its worth around 5k. The e34 m5 is typically a 20k +/- car. Doesn't matter what you bought it for, after you fix what needs fixing your 20k + into it. So have your buddy keep that in mind. If he does go to part it the engine, assuming it's complete and not needing a complete rebuild is worth 2-3k, (complete rebuild cost is 10k- ish) trans 1-2k, interior 1k, diff 500-1k, M5 bumpers 1500, wheels 500 -1500 (assuming m systems w/ covers), and then other misc. could get you another 500 or so. Add that up your at 6-10k. With a fairly beat 200k mile car your probably looking at the lower end for all of it. So is going through the trouble of disassembly worth the time? Maybe, but its a lot of work parting, selling, shipping, meeting people, etc.

That being said please update this thread if you go the part out route. I have a e34 m5 that I'm working on. I'd be interested in things. ;D

Comment

Originally posted by Jean View Post
            What sucks is that E34s are such baskets, even though it's an M5 it will have ALL of the regular E34 issues PLUS expensive S38 issues on top of it all. Take a look at the E34 540i 6speed market to get an idea as well, very much dependent not only on mileage but history and maintenance records .
            I’m not sure what you mean. I have an E34 that has been fantastic. No “basket” issues. It’s like a big E30, really. It is my 3rd E34 and I think it is one of BMW’s very best cars.

Comment

Originally posted by mach schnell View Post
              I’m not sure what you mean. I have an E34 that has been fantastic. No “basket” issues. It’s like a big E30, really. It is my 3rd E34 and I think it is one of BMW’s very best cars.
              This.

I think the reason a lot of people think E34s are bad is because a lot of E34 owners aren't very technical and have no idea how to fix anything. Bimmerforums is all but useless for anything more complicated than basic stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
                This.

I think the reason a lot of people think E34s are bad is because a lot of E34 owners aren't very technical and have no idea how to fix anything. Bimmerforums is all but useless for anything more complicated than basic stuff.
                I've noticed this lately looking for info on e34's; it's off topic of this thread, but where's the best sort of info on this platform? I'm scouting for one and trying to decide on engine/years etc for reliability and also what to look for as far as specific maintenance expectations.
                1990 BMW 325iC Triple Black Hard Top, Self-Wrenched, Original Owner Family

Comment

Working...
                X